ISC valve ? Block off/reroute?

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Yes you will need some way to supply air when the throttle plate is closed.
The AEM allows you to tune the car not suddenly make air apear inside the intake.

Some standalones are stepper motor compatable while other only do pwm solenoid.

I am not familure with AEM idle control but i do know that motec & wolf ecu can do both.

Last edited:

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
turbo87 said:
Why not drill a hole in the throttle blade? Maybe 2 or 3 mm wide?

That should make enough noise to wake up every dog and farm animal for three counties.:rofl: :biggrinbo

And "2 or 3 MM" is a lot of unmetered/uncontroled air. I wouldn't want to guess at how high that would idle.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
oh boy

news flash!

PWM will never ever ever move as much air as a step motor based ISC valve. IE PWM can not be used for cold starting as it can not open that much. It can be used for A/C idle up or little things like that but not cold start.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
kracin said:
ok so stock intake, with stock style afm.. putting a breather filter on the isc to eliminate the hoses will work correct?

not quite.

as the isc will now be letting unmetered air into the system if using the stock afm or maf based system. In a speed density system you can do what you said.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Yes It will work!
figgie I am sorry but you have it wrong for MAP application, but for 7M MAF you need the metered air.
The butterfly at the plenum intake controls the amount of air into the plenum.
The map sensor inside the plenum meters the air for a 1JZ
There is also an air temp sesnor in there but the air temp sensor works more under loading and open throttle.
It will tune the a/f% no more then 3-7% based on air temp as it calculates air density.
Air temp sensor adjustments it makes under idle is so little you probley wouldnt see any change.

The ISC inlet normaly plumbs into the air track right behind the air filter there is a little bit of vacume inside the air intake behind the filter but not so much it will starve the engine when the ISC is open.
Yes you can install a filter at the ISC and delete the hose you have to bend the hard line up a little bit for it because the K&N filter hits the water line under it.

No I am not deleting my stepper ISC I am using the wolf and dedicating to controlling stepper based motors.

Yes PWM ISCs work a lot of US car makers use them toyotas used steppers though for a long time I think honda uses PWM ISCs all the time but i have seen a lot of them have idle problems and the stepper motor ISCs I beleive work much better the PWM!

Last edited:

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
turbo87 said:
ok I'll just have a flange welded onto my FFIM for the stock ISC. . . .Right?

You have a custom intake right FFIM for 7M ? you can template your ISC 4 stepper then build an opening on it to mount a ISC 4stepper or for simplicity if using a standalone or idle managment system you can change it over to PWM and use a solenoid by plugging it into an open port on the plenum But on a 7M it uses MAF instead of MAP so air metering works deffrently and must be taken from after the MAF sensor so it can measure your air flow.

Here is what I did to my ISC instead of adding a nipple behind the main air intake filter i bent my ISC & water plumbing away from each other so it fits a small K&N filter better. My system runs off of MAP so this wont effect the air metering. I hope that my picture does a justice.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
Yes It will work!
figgie I am sorry but you have it wrong for MAP application, but for 7M MAF you need the metered air.

really?
Sorry to be brunt about this but,

you best go back and reread what I posted. Seeing as you missed it.

MAP = speed density

so I was actually right.

AFM nor MAF != MAP