is wiring harness compatible?

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
hey guys im currently starting my first swap and im in need of a wiring harness. ive got an 87 supra with a 89 7MGTE for the swap. im looking at this 88 harness because the 89 harness was cut, and im not 100% sure its compatible with the 89 engine. so im looking for some answers before i make any mistakes..

thanks. mike

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
That's actually how you'll need it. Don't look for compatibility with the engine, look for compatibility with the chassis. A rule of thumb is to always get an engine harness that matches the year of your chassis. The motor doesn't care what harness you use. There are only two or three sensors with different connectors on them- swap them from your old motor and you're golden.

87-88 turbo's are interchangeable (yellow plugs)
Treat '89 as it's own special year. (gray, but often the same pin locations as pre '89)
90-92 are interchangeable. (gray plugs)

The reasoning behind this is because the body wiring harnesses changed sometime in '89, and as such, a 87-88 harness will NOT plug and play into a 90+ chassis. Sometimes it'll work with '89s, but it depends on when in '89 it was built. Most I've seen are gray plug, but pinned like the 87-88 harnesses.

Oh, and considering that you're using a 87-88 harness, you must use an 87-88 ECU as well.

:)

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
yehh i wanted to believe that the chassis was all that mattered, and the 88 harness was all i found for a good price, so it all works! thanks for helpin a noob like me out, now i need to scrap up a turbo ecu from those years.. this'll be fun

Letsride

Aug 26, 2009
NC
Are you looking for a manual ECU? If so I have one.

Shaeff....on the 89 (which I have) the new harness matches up perfectly to the dash harness. Is there anything else to look for?

Letsride

Aug 26, 2009
NC
It came from my 88 donor car. It ran fine.....I sold the harness to Shaeff and still have 2 ecu's....:)

Here's a pic....

szdier.jpg

rasmussenbc

Oct 16, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA
how do I tell what year my engine is? isnt there a long number somewhere on it that should tell me? Im sure there is, I just cant find it

Last edited: