is this safe mode?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Well I have been working on my car for about 6months and now I am trying to start it up. (7MGTE) I got all new fluids in, good battery, and put the dashboard in. Got the instrument cluster in and went to start it up. After a couple tries we got it to start but it won't stay running very long. And when it runs it is barely running. Like it isn't getting enough fuel. Also when the throttle is pressed nothing really happens. So is this what they call 'safe mode'? And what are all the possible problems it could be when the throttle doesn't do anything. I am kinda leaning towards it being the cps out of alignment because I had it out to fix it. Also no gauge lights.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Ya but this really seems like safe mode. I can't rev it past about 400rpm. I did replace the rear knock sensor I broke. I got a spare one from a guy. And I think I extended (soldering) the wire for the front knock sensor. Could this cause my car to barely run?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No.

Have you done the timing belt recently?

Make sure no1 piston is at tdc via spark plug hole and make sure the cam marks are lining up with the backing plate.
If the cam/crank timing is off one tooth it will run like shit if it runs.

If the ignition timing is off it could idle really high or low based off ignition timing.
Have you set the timing?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I took out the cps and installed it correct. I had the terminals t1 e1 jumped and it started and ran at about 500rpm then eventually will die. But I can get the throttle to do something now. I don't know what the issue is now. I'm just going around checking grounds and looking for any leaks bad hoses. Could it still be the tps? Do I have to remove the impossible to reach screw on the bottom of the tps? The tps has very little adjustment with the top screw backed out...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can try unplugging it and see if it goes away but I wouldn't drive it like that.

Have you checked for codes?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I plugged in some harness connectors and got my guages working. Jumped the diagnostic box and moved the cps slightly. So now I think I'm back to square one; it's about the same way it was running 6 months ago. I deleted all that throttle linkage stuff and ran the throttle cable directly to the throttle. But it seems to stick slightly when I feather the gas. I need to look at getting it to return to the closed position. When I press the throttle down into the dashpot the idle gets really low and the engine dies. I just put new fuel in but maybe I have a fuel system problem. I see a small drip back near the tank. Not sure if it would cause running problems like this though. I think I just need to finish up everything on my car and drive to get someone to help me possibly the Toyota dealer.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You need to set the ign timing to 10* btdc. With the timing light you turn the cps until the mark on the balencer lines up with the 10 on the timing cover. Can't just guess.

And did you ever check your codes?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Ya I did. Thanks for the help. When I had the pins jumped I saw what I believe is 2 codes. It flashed 3 times then 2 times. Then pause. Then 5 times then 1 time.
I was moving the TPS then it seemed to have caused the second code. Also tried unplugging the TPS. That didn't really change much though.

I better get a timing light maybe I can borrow one.