Is this right?

mtoxracerfss

Boost Addict
Oct 8, 2005
Toledo
I've heard a couple people on here say using 70% water to 30% coolant is the best way. Wont that lower the boiling point? And if this is true what benefits does it have and why?

thanks.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Correct, pure water has more heat capacity and lower viscosity, so is better for cooling. Another job of coolant though is to control internal corrosion. So when playing with the coolant/water ratio you need to also consider the impact on corrosion control and coolant longevity.

mk3some

Dec 27, 2005
buffalo
i dont know why you would ever want less coolant than 50 50 especially when manufacturers recomend at least a 50-50 mix...i guess more cooling because more water makes sense but i dont know if i even believe water cools better than COOLANT...honestly ive had great luck with all my cars when i switched from the green stuff to global peak coolant.......

mtoxracerfss

Boost Addict
Oct 8, 2005
Toledo
So does anyone have any proof of the better cooling properties, because im flushing coolant this weekend and i want to know what the best thing to do is.

87_7MGTE

SOLD :(
Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
50/50 is always a good mix for all year round, 75/25 is good for summer. best performance would probably be something like 70/20/10 (70%water/20%coolant/10%water wetter or equiv)

87_7MGTE

SOLD :(
Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
^water wetter might do that, i know one of water wetters main purpose is to take all the tiny air bubbles off the cylinder walls so the water comes in contact with the cylinder walls better

Last edited:

bigboost7m

Apr 20, 2005
Center Line, MI
I use Toyota's 50/50 premix and it works great, i also use Royal Purples purple ice and have had better results with that than the water wetter. I also have no thermostat so my motor stays pretty cold. I checked the coolant temp at the radiator using a temperature gauge after driving my car really hard for about a half hour and it was at only 136 degrees!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
bigboost7m said:
I checked the coolant temp at the radiator using a temperature gauge after driving my car really hard for about a half hour and it was at only 136 degrees!

Thats not good. Your engine is designed to run at a certain temp, your running your engine too cold. Not to mention that a thermostat helps create pressure in your cooling system. You need that pressure to help move the coolant, otherwise it will just sit near the cylinders for too long and over heat. Plus, lower pressure loweres the boiling point of the fluid, making it cabable of holding less heat.

I have never heard of racetracks prefeering no anitfreeze, but if that is the case then its probably because the glycol ( IIRC thats what it's called ) will make the track more slippery than just the watter incase of cooling system failure.

mark3some said:
i dont know why you would ever want less coolant than 50 50 especially when manufacturers recomend at least a 50-50 mix...i guess more cooling because more water makes sense but i dont know if i even believe water cools better than COOLANT...honestly ive had great luck with all my cars when i switched from the green stuff to global peak coolant.......

87-7MGTE and 3p141592654 already stated why you would want to run less anti-freeze. Its called coolant because of its function, not because its the best substance for the job. You could put melted ice cream in and call it coolant but there would still be a better choice as far as heat transfer goes. If antifreeze where better than watter, the Toyota would reccomend 100% anit-freeze.
A 30/70 mix is pretty standard, it always works with no bad side effects. If you live someplace where water freezes in the winter stick to the 50/50.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I use Lucas oil additive because they sell it at Autozone.
They said that when you whip the beater around, and the air bubbles stay in the oil, that's good for cooling.