Is this knock?

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
A little backstory. I recently installed a new clutch and had been driving her easy in order to break the clutch in. Finally reached 1000 miles on the clutch and did a few pulls yesterday to dial in the GCC. Well, after a few pulls I started hearing a faint knocking. So I took a few videos. It was bad so I got home and parked it. Started it back up and drove it and it was completely quiet at idle. As I drove more and as the engine heated up I began to hear it more and more. So it's parked now until I can figure out what to do. Anyway here are a few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfjwKX9ixc8&list=UUti2wY3O3rS90uJMwDFQvkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOmr51xk-jY&list=UUti2wY3O3rS90uJMwDFQvkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfT2BqF6Iow&list=UUti2wY3O3rS90uJMwDFQvkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN5woY8hbas&list=UUti2wY3O3rS90uJMwDFQvkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrtLn8kiEd4&list=UUti2wY3O3rS90uJMwDFQvkw

Yesterday when it happened I seemed to notice some type of relationship between the clutch making a popping/knocking sound when I pushed it in mainly while the engine was running. I don't think I am lucky enough for this noise to be something with the tranny/clutch though. I haven't ruled it out since I did just replace the clutch, but who knows.

Anyway I appreciate your input

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Sorry to say it sounds like you have "rod knock". You should check your oil. Probably low. Good to know while trying to find out what caused your issue. Your engine needs to come out and tear down and inspect. Then you have info to make real estimate. Some people go 2jzgte or 1 j at this stage. Doing it right will not be cheap on the rebuild. Proper swaps are not cheap. Good luck.

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Oil is full and clean which kind of has me wondering why it happened. It's a fresh rebuild...only 10k miles or so. I plan on keeping the 7m for now. I will probably just yank the motor out, turn it upside down and replace the bearings.

Any ideas what could have caused the knock on such a new engine? I was thinking about selling the car, but I like it too much, I can afford the rebuild and I have all the time in the world to take my time and redo the bottom end.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You wipe the bearing/ crank surfaces clean, place a piece of plastigauge across the crank journal, and torque the rod cap/ main cap down. You then remove the cap, and compare the width of the crushed plastigauge to the reference widths printed on the plastigauge sleeve. The fatter the line, the tighter the clearance. There are a few different sizes of plastigauge, I think you want green.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Before you pull the plug,would be worth while to do some simple tests.
1) Check the crank pulley bolt is tight. A loose pulley can sound like rod knock.
2) Pull the injector plugs one by one and listen for knock. The bad cylinder should go quiet with no fuel to it.
3) Make sure you don't have a bad accessory such as PS pump,alternator,water pump, AC etc. Easiest test is to remove a belt and listen if the noise goes away.

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
I will definitely check the flywheel...it's a little suspect to me that the knock started EXACTLY 1000 miles after I installed a new clutch. I plan on pulling the tranny first to check this before I take the motor out. So maybe I will find that the flywheel is loose or something. I would hope not as I torqued it to spec and put loctite on each of the bolts, but anything is possible.

I was thinking about selling the car at first, but I love it too much to sell it haha. So i'll just fix it and get it back on the road.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
I'm still not a fan of plastigauge I just a micrometer to measure my bearing clearances. IF it is rod knock and it is a fresh rebuild then the rebuild wan't done well enough.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Is this the same engine being built in 2011? I noticed you said you did ARP rod bolt but no mention of rod resize. I personally feel this should be done. You stated the machine shop removed plugs in crankshaft for cleaning. Remote chance of loose plug causing improper oil flow. Just a few ideas. Checking your crank bolt and flywheel bolts is a good idea first. However it does sound like an engine coming apart. If it was my engine and if bearings are trashed. I would replace the rods. And make sure to check crankshaft plugs and journals. Probably will require some journal work. On tear down you should pay attentions to oil pump sump and pipe and make sure gasket is in place and everything is tight. It is important to find root cause of failure. Good luck.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
I'd like to add i also see this problem when people re-use a rod that had previous knocked. they can get tweaked and are not always caught when re-bearing. but also i hope you measured clearances because if that wasn't done right i wouldn't speculate past that failure.

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
Yea this is the same build from 2011. I gave the arp rod bolts and rods to the machine shop and im pretty sure they resized them for me. I will have to ask my buddy who helped me build the engine...it's so long I can't remember. The pump was new and it was shimmed (can't remember how much). Who knows what caused it to fail...I am just hoping I have time to tear down and look into it.

I am actually in Savannah right now, but hoping to move back to Atlanta by this coming summer. I hate it here.

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
I'm really starting to consider selling the car...just don't really have the time to fix with it and I've been falling out of love with it lately. Don't know what to do haha

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
hornet7288;2029838 said:
I'm really starting to consider selling the car...just don't really have the time to fix with it and I've been falling out of love with it lately. Don't know what to do haha
no need to get to get down about there are other options you can do now it's just a turning point for you I recommend 2jzge non vvti 7melectronics
motors are cheep to find then boom your back in the game.