Is this a good first car?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1810627 said:
But that does bring up another good point. Cheap, reliable, front engine, RWD.... TRUCK.
Another good option. 85-95 Toyota pickup with the 22re, can't beat them for reliability. Plus if you need to haul stuff...

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
don't forget safety.

I sought after a 2nd gen 4runner until I looked at the crash test results. Plus, for how big they look they feel kinda cramped inside.

I have no idea how the 1st gen trucks and 4runners do; crash-test data isn't available back then.

2nd gen Miata did fairly well, on the other hand.

sddriver

Jun 1, 2008
SoCal,
To the OP, I'd recommend taking a look at a Datsun Z or ZX if you're bent on getting a rwd car and you don't want a Miata or 240sx. While the earlier 1st generation Z cars are prone to rust, you might be able to find the second generation 280zx for cheap. The L series motors are fairly stout and the electronic systems in the ZX aren't as complicated as some newer cars so they make a great first car to learn to tinker with. I drove a 280zx turbo all through college and never once was I stranded. The naturally aspirated ZX is a bit of a slow car, but the turbo ones are decent. Visibility is good, and there are modern creature comforts like a/c and power mirrors. Gas mileage isn't bad if you get a 5 speed. I averaged 24mpg in mixed driving. The automatic eats gas due to the lack of an overdrive (I got 17-19mpg mixed before swapping to a 5 speed). If you don't care about looks, the 2+2 versions will give you a little more utility over the standard 2 seater.

As the others have said, I wouldn't recommend the mid-engined MR2 or the 3000GT.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
I started out with a N/A Supra as my first car. Small things gave me problems, such as blowing a coolant hose and causing a nice candy scented smoke screen. With a RESPONSIBLE person behind the wheel, I don't feel that a Supra is terrible as long as they can foot the bill if shit does go south. I never went over the speed limit (still don't, I drive worse than a grandma) and never tried to push the car to its limits. Do the same and it's a great car.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
My first car was a 2nd gen runner 2nd gen runners are great in roll overs...I rolled mine off the road in the ice a while back.. my buddy rolled off the road this year missed a dog and my chicks friend who lives in socal rolled his after falling asleep at the wheel on the 18 almost to lake arrowhead... all people are fine.... I popped a few dents out of mine before driving it for another 4 months then trading it for my first supra:) my buddy replaced his windshield and is driving his and the dude on socal had the insurance total his

Sent from my C771

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Well, I'm still on my first supra. It has about 140k on it. Had some problems when I bought it, and has occasional problems just from age. The paint lost its clear coat and now it scratches super easy. Sounds fine until your friend leans on it with a studded belt. That came out though. I've blown two power steering lines, a fuel line, and replaced a cooling line by the thermostat housing that was a ticking time bomb. I spotted it during my hg job. The targa leaks and the spare tire well has a hole in the bottom. I had to do the head gasket and brake master cylinder and ball joints and emergency brake pads which are very hard to find. I get crap about it because it looks old and somehwat crappy, but I also get compliments from guys that appreciate these cars. The stereo sucked too btw. Mine is an 89 n/a 5 speed. My exhaust has a small hole that could go any day, I don't have air bags and this thing does horrible in the rain. Let alone the snow. But you know what, I like my car. I enjoy driving it, I threw in an after market stereo and cleaned it up a bit. Its a fun car to drive. Its quicker than your average accord or Hyundai if you know how to drive and it handles quite well on dry, clean and smooth pavement. A lot of my friends like my car too. Its not a chick magnet though. My advice to you would be if you want one then accept there will be bad with the good.don't blow your whole budget on a car. That is stupid. You have college to worry about. And keep in mind that driving in anything but a sunny day might not be fun. You will have to drive slower than everyone else in the snow and possibly even in rain. But if 6ou find a deal, don't need a very reliable car, can work on it yourself for the most part, and enjoy it for what it is, you might like it. As they all said, its your choice. Hope this helps

AdrenalineOD

One helluva lucky noob
Jan 14, 2010
Napa, California, United States
Back in 2008 I learned how to drive on an '02 Accord on a quarter mile of residential road, then went out and bought my '89 turbo with a wannabe racer mentality and no technical knowledge whatsoever - i thought a turbo was a 'go-fast' button or something. It was a pile; 175k, head gasket cracked at the 5th cylinder, mismatched tires, leaky targa, broken speedo, cracked exhaust and intake valves bent so if I drove longer than 10 minutes and shut it off I'd have to wait a couple hours for the motor to cool all the way back down to be able to start up again. 2 weeks after purchase, driving through the city, I accidentally boosted halfway through a left turn and found myself fishtailing through four lanes of traffic and almost careening off a bridge. Blew the headgasket with my first mod 2 years later and spent 6 months walking to work to save up enough to get it fixed. I got pretty lucky there, didn't blow bad enough to crap coolant everywhere and got away with just a head rebuild, she's been running strong ever since, minus a broken 2nd gear.

Looking back I don't think I could've picked much worse for my first car. Old and very worn out, parts are expensive, fuel goes fast, things are always breaking and I liken the twenty-something year-old suspension to driving a waterbed. Rain will be your worst enemy, both above and below the car. On the upside though, you'll learn tons wrenching and researching when you get to the inevitable breakdown and you got all the masters on here to help you through them. If you have money, patience and a healthy helping of common sense I say go for it. I wouldn't give mine up for anything, and there's no joy like stepping out your front door and seeing your Supra waiting for you in the driveway...cept for driving away in it, of course :icon_bigg

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
My 87 N/A is my first car. If you get one that has lower miles, has been well taken care off, and you are willing to work on it then I think it would be a good first car. I've had mine for a little over a year now and I've had to replace my brake master cylinder, power steering lines, speakers, radio, clutch master and slave cylinder, and other small things. There has only been two times I wasn't able to drive it:

1) When I replaced my spark plugs, I didn't realize how dirty the throttle body and intake manifold was, so it took extra time to clean that, and I also wanted to flush my cooling system of the old green coolant and switch to the G-05. But, if I would have started this on saturday instead of sunday, it would have been done on sunday instead of monday, and I wouldn't have needed a ride to school on Monday. So this time was just because I didn't plan enough time to do the work.

2) The second time was just a few days later when that stupid rubber cap on the heater core pipe between the fire wall and the back of the engine cracked, and began to leak coolant. My car was down for two days just because of the time it took for the toyota dealer to get the part in. The part only took like 15 minutes to install once it came in.

Overall, I think that it is a good first car if you know someone who can teach you and help you work on the car, you can afford to pay for the things that will break on a 25 year old car, and you can pay for gas(20mpg on average).

Good Luck!

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Most of the younger generation don't understand the Toyota Supra. When these cars came out they were well built, expensive, and sucked gas. It was a sports car though. Made for the weekends, maybe a trip to the mall, or a night out of town. Being a GT car, it was made for comfort. Now 20 + years later, all the rubber hoses, suspension parts, and seals on parts leak. Every car like it is the same way. The parts are expensive, sometimes hard to find. The price 1500-4000 for a average Supra has lent the opportunity to younger people to purchase the car. Now they can have their sports car, but they think it is like owning a new sports car, and that is where it gets expensive.

For a first car, the Supra even with low miles is not a great car. Rear wheel drive, bad gas, quick, maintenance, can add up to be a disaster for a young driver. If you don't know about these cars or how they work, or have no automotive knowledge stay away. If you don't want to spend thousands on repairs I wouldn't look into car as your DD.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Another thing I'll point out, at one point I had both my NA 88 Supra, and a 2000 Miata. They were totally different as far as dynamics go. The Miata would TRASH the Supra in low end acceleration, and basically anywhere else under 100mph. For whatever reason, the Supra really came into it's own habitat of power and grace at triple digit speeds.

That said, I've never driven anywhere with speed limits like that, that lend themselves to the Supra's strengths, but everywhere I drove the Miata, I had fun with it. I learned to be a much better driver because of that car. Actually looking for one for the girlfriend so she can practice learning to drive a manual, and a RWD on something cheap before she buys a Mk4 for herself in a couple years...

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
te72;1812449 said:
Another thing I'll point out, at one point I had both my NA 88 Supra, and a 2000 Miata. They were totally different as far as dynamics go. The Miata would TRASH the Supra in low end acceleration, and basically anywhere else under 100mph. For whatever reason, the Supra really came into it's own habitat of power and grace at triple digit speeds.

It's a GT car. Get it on a big road course like Road Atlanta, Infineon, Road America, Monticello, VIR, Mid-Ohio, Sebring, etc and you'll find what it's built for. :)

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Supracentral;1812459 said:
It's a GT car. Get it on a big road course like Road Atlanta, Infineon, Road America, Monticello, VIR, Mid-Ohio, Sebring, etc and you'll find what it's built for. :)

Now I want to do this SOOO BAD.

Is it pretty much just tuned to stick and respond well at high speeds?

I need to read more about the history of this car. I've seen some pictures of it in road races, a few as a rally car (made me want to dress mine up like a wannabe rally car, lol!).
It probably would be better known if it weren't for the Skyline coming in and screwing up the ranks.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supracentral;1812459 said:
I'd love to if the closest road course wasn't over 200 miles away, one way... Just pointing out that a Miata is much more fun in every day driving than my Supras have been, for the most part.

Figit090;1812623 said:
Is it pretty much just tuned to stick and respond well at high speeds?
Probably the most stable car I've ever had at speed. :)