Is this a good first car?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Kcband;1808251 said:
Mr2 NA? Is it still this unreliable? And I have my moms eurovan I can drive when it breaks down

As said by others, they are old and wear out, a camry will be the same, once reliable but after 25 years...needing help. MR2's are just more complicated and things as simple as your emergency brake cable will piss you off (they fill with water and corrode). Also, they aren't normal: you have coolant lines running along the chassis from the front, a lump of iron behind your head, only enough room for ONE other person, and stupid-dangerous handing that makes you feel like a formula one driver until you're reminded you're not, and that the lump of iron behind your head wants to lead the way toward that embankment, tree, or cliff. I'm not kidding I had a friend throw his off the road on several occasions, I've seen several with body damage from obvious one-car accidents (no caved in car-car impact marks, just folds in weird places), and I passed one going to school that had an accident with a bus, no doubt because the kid got cocky getting on the highway. N/A and SC/turbo alike, NOT a new-driver car.
Yeah they have a little camry engine and will give you good mileage but they were marketed as a sportscar with awesome handling to liven the spirits of older 30+ men, not for young new drivers that don't know how to pull out of a mid-engine slide.

The only supra that will be reliable used is one easily worth 9 grand, or more. Don't do that though, because it's your first car though and supras worth 9k shouldn't ever be driven by first-time drivers, because experienced drivers would like some supras to survive for later when they're even harder to find. That, and many supras are WAY to powerful to be in the hands of a new driver. Stock N/A's are even dangerous because they don't accelerate fast but you're still throwing around a ton of metal touring car.

My first driving cars were a 1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup that taught me how to shift and how to pay attention to blind spots with a horrible camper shell, and a 1996 nissan quest that taught me how to ignore noisy passengers, avoid more blind spots, and experience different handling characteristics of FWD and a heavy car.

My supra was my first personal car, being a 1986.5 N/A that I bought only knowing basic car things, like how many cylinders engines have, basics on internal combustion and some mechanical knowledge from radio control cars and basic know-how being skilled with mechanical things. I heard of a BHG and thought I could diagnose one. Knowing what I know now I would have walked away from my current car and not looked back. period.

My car has since taught me a lot about cooling systems, drivetrains, braking systems, headgasket maintenance, tire and wheel combinations, suspension, and how to search for signs of repair and accidents. I've done all my own repairs, and my car has at least 10k miles on a new (this car's second, at least) fresh headgasket, an entire new braking system, a new stereo system, and assorted small things like coolant lines and power steering crap. I've spent hours on here learning from knowledgeable members and reading the repair manual, and buying parts. I've had my car on blocks for MONTHS while I research the best options for parts, how to repair things, and waiting for parts in the mail or from the parts store.
Unless you want to spend HOURS and HOURS of time researching on fixing it yourself (which you WILL if you want to do it even close to proper), or spending HOURS and HOURS of time earning money to pay someone else to do it right, DO NOT buy a supra. Unless of course you find an absolute CREAM PUFF from an old-timer who only wants 500 or maybe even 3k for a perfect like-new car, and if you find that: buy it, park it, start it up once every other week to drive around the block (BUT THAT'S IT) and save for a honda.

In either case, with a supra you'll be short on money and probably pinching pennys if your parents don't pick up some of the repair bill. ALSO, this car is a beast of a car, big, heavy, and old. Something will break, and when it does I hope it's not while you're driving. Chances are it won't be, but it will put your car on blocks for a while at the least, while your buddy in his beater civic takes his friends and girlfriend to the beach for a bonfire. You'll be wrenching, researching, working your ass off, or looking for an open seat.

IJ helped me a lot, as did Kai I'm sure, and many others...and I went from a newb to a somewhat knowledgeable car enthusiast with this car. Do I regret it? not one bit. Do I wish my car didn't have small rust spots needing attention, hidden folds in the body underneath it's seats from a wreck I wasn't told about, a broken window roller, dead dome lights, an alarm that goes off for no reason, a stiff-shifting tranny, drivetrain vibrations, or shoddy-welded repairs from a dumbass previous owner? HELL YES.

Read that paragraph again for a realistic view at a car I just dumped 400 dollars and HOURS of my time just to make it SAFE. Not nice. Not clean. Not fast. Not economical. SAFE.

It's a great car that I love, but now I'm thinking about making payments on a new car, any new car.

My car is slightly older than me and I'm sick of it showing it's busted knees every time I feel comfortable that it's reliable again, because I cannot afford to make it better. The education was totally worth it, and I'm not here to complain but only to show you the reality from someone who was in your current position and went ahead with the supra. If you don't desire to learn and have your teacher telling you that you CAN NOT drive until you are done learning and PAYING FOR IT... find another car.

You're practically restoring a classic if you decide to buy a less-than-perfect supra; don't forget that. ever.

EDIT----

May I add that repairs that I have done (every one) would total probably...above 5 grand...roughly estimated. I do not have a modded car, it's not even lowered. It's not customized really. I've just been fixing it to try and make it reliable and safe. Don't even think of making a really nice looking supra without paying a lot of time or money.
Even then I don't recommend it as a first car, because it's a sportscar. Take my advice from being in your nearly-identical position when I was younger; you will really really love having money when you're a bit older to buy a nicer car, once you've saved while driving a smarter car, that's safer and carried you through your own stupidity and others' to an older age where you can put a down payment and driving skills into a nice newer car with a warranty, or at the very least, less than 50 thousand miles.

*I didn't even mention gas mileage. try 20-ish mpg on an average MKIII: if you drive 20 miles a day, figure you pay at least 4 dollars a day. 5 days a week that's 20 dollars. 52 weeks and you've hit over a grand, just to fuel the thing for school. tack on 500 or more if you like to go places on weekends, and say yes when friends ask to drive to the movies with you.

Cheers mate! Don't get your hopes down, just postpone the expensive sportscar for a while...the purchase price is far from what you'll be paying.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Kcband;1808098 said:
I have 4000 for a car and 1500 for mods and maintenance. I would just like to know anything I should know about the toyota supra. I am also looking at a mk2 mr2 and maybe a 3000gt SL but that is FWD so I dont know about that one. Ill be 17 when I get a car and will have had my license for a year.

Thanks
Also if there are any other cars I should add to my list please tell me

Kcband;1808098 said:
I I am also looking at a mk2 mr2 and maybe a 3000gt SL but that is FWD so I dont know about that one. Ill be 17 when I get a car and will have had my license for a year.

Thanks
Also if there are any other cars I should add to my list please tell me

Kcband;1808098 said:
I am also looking at a mk2 mr2 and maybe a 3000gt SL but that is FWD so I dont know about that one.

Kcband;1808098 said:
I am also looking at 3000gt SL

Kcband;1808098 said:
looking at 3000gt SL

Kcband;1808098 said:
3000gt SL

p1808463_1.gif

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Drive something relatively inexpensive, cheap on gas and simple for as long as you can stand it and DO NOT modify it. Years later when you have learned a lot more about cars and you've saved up some money, go buy a sports car. :)

My 86 MK3 NA supra, bone stock gets exactly 20mpg on average (so far, since November 2011), which sucks with gas prices these days. I justify it because the awesomeness of the supra makes up for it, and it's SOOOO nice to drive...lol. I also have a pretty short commute to work so I don't do a whole lot of driving.

I have worked on a mk1 MR2 extensively. They would not make for a very good first car for a young person with not a lot of experience. If you happen to find one with a good body and in good mechanical condition, they will be asking A LOT of money for it as they are rare. Mk2 MR2's, same deal.

Listen to what all these guys are saying. They speak the truth.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The MR2 will try to kill you. It's not about how much power it has. They are a mid engine rear wheel drive car, which is like learning how to drive fast on a unicycle. Sure, if you're careful you can do it. You'll never reach your potential as a driver if you start off with a car that's difficult to learn with.

I mean this next bit of advice in the nicest way possible, and I am dead serious. If you want a RWD sports car as a first car... buy a Miata. They are very effective cars to learn proper driving technique with. They handle like a dream. They have enough power to be alot of fun, but not enough to raise your insurance or put you backwards into a ditch. They can also grow with you and be made into a very capable and fast car (turbo kit). I was about to buy one when I found my Supra. I wish I would have bought the Miata. I would have been racing last year instead of fixing all the crap that was worn out on my Supra (my car only has 90,000 miles, but it is a 1987, so everything is shot from age). Also, you can get a decent Miata for $5000 that will need very little work to be reliable. If you ever feel like you need more than two seats, tell your friends you drive a Miata, and you'll only need one seat (joking).

Just forget the other cars on your list. Especially the 3000GT SL. Might as well buy a Plymouth Acclaim, it has almost the same engine (mitsubishi 3.0L V6 FWD).

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you find a $5000 Miata and buy it and don't like it, I would trade you for my supra... after I take off about $4500 in parts to even out the value. Just something to keep in mind.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I can see and agree completely with the angle that the 'older' guys are coming from. All of the cars that you have mentioned are going to require a lot more time, money and effort than say a Honda Civic or anything modern and sensible

BUT...

Whilst I didn't have a Supra as a first car, I have had cars that strictly speaking I couldn't afford at the age that I bought them. The one that sticks out is my Soarer, I had been driving for just a year when I bought that car and I was earning a TINY amount of money (I still am, but hey) and I still bought it and I still loved it. I had to make some big sacrifices to run that car, sacrifices that didn't really matter to me as I am a loner reject that only lives for cars but they are sacrifices that would seriously impact a young man with a social life, friends, hobbies outside of cars, etc.

Every spare penny I had was spent on that Soarer. I think in total I had it for a tad over a year and spent something like half of my annual income (before tax!) on it running it. For me personally It was worth it, I had some great times owning that car and I personally think that you can't put a $$$ value on memories, but even me as someone who lives and breathes cars sometimes wonders how differently my life could have turned out if I had spent all of those thousands of dollars and countless man hours on something a little bit more 'productive'.

Its a choice you've got to make. Either you want the car so badly that you are willing to sacrifice damn near everything (The only thing that made me sell it was when I couldn't pay the rent any longer...) or you don't. The fact that you have had to come here and ask opinions in the first place says to me that you don't. I love posting on forums and getting input from people, but I never, ever once asked the opinion of anyone when buying that Soarer because I wanted it, and that was that.

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
my first car was 91 N/a hardtop and i absoulutly loved it. it was cheap to keep and cheap to fix had plenty of power for around town and had 215k on it the day i got rid of it. which i regret geting rid of it. whatever you do get one that has service records and do not get a TURBO ONE!!!!! my 89 turbo has been a money pit but i was also half assing some of the work now i have a good job and out of college and can afford toys i dont mind it. i acctually sold my 91 to one of my niebors kids as his first car and it now has 265 on it no problems. my best friends little bro bought a 89 targa N/A as his first car but got it for 750 and had 5000 saved up to put into it and it is cleaning up really good. if you got the time and the place to keep it and the knowledge on how to hold a screwdriver you will be fine but keep ur foot out of it in the rain. and stay at home in the snow!!!

SupraKid

Jan 2, 2009
Santa Teresa, NM
Get what ever car you want. Your 16 year old mind set tells you to mod mod mod. I had my supra when i was sixteen, and very quickly youll learn to fix fix fix. If your spending your own money from say working or w/e i would focus on getting your car (whatever that be) driving to the best of its ability in stock form then slowly acquiring parts to modify it

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah I was dead set on a turbo eclipse when I was 16. My parents tried to "cut it off at the pass" by buying me a non-turbo... but I researched the hell out of it and did a NA-T swap that was pretty reliable, and I drove the car for 9 years. I guess your results will directly correlate to your level of responsibility (or luck). I was always pretty lucky with cars.

LaurentD

Sep 20, 2010
Montreal, Qc
I mostly lurk around this forum but thought I would chime in since my first and second cars were MKIII's. So here is the story, you make your own conclusions from it:

My first Supra @ 18

I was never that much into cars, but had good experience with mechanical/electrical stuff. Didn't know anyone around me that worked on their car either. I live Montreal, Canada, where I don't need a car for transportation, since there is ton of buses/metros/etc. I didn't even bother to pass my diving license before i was almost 18. That was back in May 2009. I had ~7000$ in my bank account, had waited way too long for my license and plainly wanted a car. I wanted a «nice» car. Had to be rare, pop-up headlights, open-roof but not convertible, 4 seater, manual tranny. So, the only option in my mind was the supra.

I had looked up some facts about the supra on the internet, but not any of the forums. 2 days after i had my licence, I went to look at a Supra I had found on classifieds. A blue 1988 turbo 5 speed that was going for 3500$ CAD. Now, there is a lot less Supras in Canada, the same car would have been priced ~2000$ in the US I guess. First mistake : I didn't know what to look for when buying a Supra, so I mostly let the owner tell me about the car. It had 143 000k', I thought it was stock, had some electrical troubles (Threw a code 52), but would still drive alright. Second Mistake : I didn't yet know how to drive stick, so I went on a short ride with the owner driving. We went, targa off, on the freeway. He made pull up to 140kph, I must have had the biggest smile on my face : I was hooked!!

I made a deposit on the car right away, without even looking at any other Supra (3rd mistake). The same weekend, the car was mine (paid 3500$ CAD, my dad had to drive it home, lol), and I was so amazingly excited, wanted to show it to all my friends. It took me ~ 1 week before I could drive stick alright. I had given a ride to some of my friends (not the freeway), which all thought the Supra sucked, because I would stall all the time. The car interior was in alright condition (cracked leather seats, but the rest was fine), so was the exterior. No rust showing, only a very few bubbles. The engine bay to my untrained eye: some rusty stuff, but a big motor!!! It would drive alright, though the car would shut off sometimes for no reason.

2 weeks after I got the car, my most car-oriented (he had a motorcycle at the time) friend came to see it. On a sunny day, we went for a ride to the Home Depot : targa off, some Led Zeppelin blasting shyly through the only working speaker, everyone was looking at the Supra coming through the parking lot. This is probably the best memory I have of my first supra.

Later that afternoon, my friend had the good idea to go on the freeway (him on his bike, me on the Supra). Not even 4 kilometers further from my house, the Supra shut down while I was on the freeway. I pressed the clutch and started it back up. Shut down again 30 secs later. I took the first exit and stopped. Opened the hood, stared at the engine. Closed it back up (didn't know anything about cars back then). The Supra started again and I had to go back on the freeway to get home. I had the pedal to the floor and it had trouble even reaching 60 kph (~40 mph), which is the lowest allowable speed on the freeway. People were honking madly at me and I concluded that the Supra needed maintenance. That is the last time I drove that car.

The Outcome

I had had it for 2 weeks, driven less than 100 kilometers and was 3500$ down + 200$ for plates. I then decided that I would rebuild the engine over the course of the summer (Kind of a mistake). I thought I could do it on top of going out with friends and having a 40h+/week summer job (that was the real mistake). I was lucky enough that my parents let met work on it in the driveway and that they let me put up shelves in the garage for the parts I was removing from the car. I put out about 500$ more for all the basic car tools that I didn't have. (Lucky I had only spent only half of my money on actually buying the car). Lucky also that I didn't need a car. I wouldn't have bought a Supra in the first place if I needed a reliable 3500$ car.

I wasn't really commited enough to repairing the car. When it's a first, it takes about 3h of reading on how to repair, for 1h of unbolting stuff. I also realised how hard it is to work on a neglected car, where all the bolts are seized up. Needless to say I ended up at the end of the summer with a bunch of rusty or broken parts on a shelf and a half-empty engine bay. I put the cover on the the car for the winter and sold it as is the next spring. I was lucky enough that the car was low-mileage and a turbo/targa/5-speed combo, that I sold all the stuff for 2000$.

Lessons Learned

If I was to do it again, I would say that first car was a big mistake. Lost plenty of money, didn't get to drive it, put a lot of work into cutting and breaking seazed nuts and bolts. Didn't learn that much about cars or the Supra, because I wasn't commited enough to working on it (which can be a full time job, really). In the end, that negative first Supra experience was more because of the supra I bought (being uninformed) and my lack of commitment towards it.

My second Supra @ 19

I had had a Supra in my driveway for nearly a year, but didn't drive it. The supra had won the first round, but I wouldn't let it win again. While I hadn't managed to repair the Supra in the summer 2009, I had managed to earn ~ 8000$, so that in spring 2010, I now had ~ 13 000$ in my bank account. To be honest, when I sold my last supra, it was mostly because I had by then realised that it would be much easier to start off with a nice Supra rather than a rusty neglected one. I wanted to get a clean one and show my friends that the Supra was not «The Car that Never Ran» as they would call it. I read forums for months, learning about Supras and what to look for. I looked at classifieds every single week and went to see a couple Supras. In June 2010, I finally found what I was looking for : 1988 Supra, Targa, Turbo, 5-speed, 96 0000 original k's (~60k miles), mint, 100% stock (down to the air filter).

I paid 9500 CAD for it. It had no issue at all. I had the best summer ever with that Supra. I went camping, biking, road trip, you name it. It was kind of costly on gas, but hey, so much fun to drive. Plus, I was still working a well-paid job and staying at my parent's place. Remember though, I was still a «relatively new» driver. I tried pushing the car a bit. Stepping on the gas, while taking a corner : Big Mistake. On a few occasions (1-2), I over did it and the car did a 180, luckily not damaging anything : I didn't take the hint. On a rainy night, I over did it, lost control of the car and the wheel hit the curb. 600$ suspension repair (no body damage) on dealer parts, 2 weeks down-time. Again, around the end of October 2010, I was driving a tiny little bit too fast on some country roads, hit a dangerous curve, lost control of the car (hopefully I wasn't going very fast) and endend up hitting some trees and into the forest. (Huge Mistake on my part).

The Outcome

Man, that car is tough! I had a small crack in my nose upper piece and big dent in the passenger side fender only. I ran the car that way (ran perfect) until winter storage. When I took it out (spring 2011), after only 2 weeks, it started overheating and the car developped a BHG (Still had a stock Head Gasket). Though I would repair it the right way over the course of the summer 2011. That time, it was about me showing my car and myselft that I could do it.

I did ridiculous amounts of reading. About 2 months of reading before even thinking about removing a single hose on the engine. I dedicated most of my summer break only to rebuilding that engine (only worked a summer job 2 months out of 4). This was the best learning experince ever. I now know that Supra by heart, love it even more. Learned tons of stuff about cars. It was a bit costly, but totally worth it. That engine was definately rebuilt the good way, is still stock, but probably the most reliable 7MGTE around. I got to ride my Supra the whole Fall, without any issue.

Lessons Learned

Starting off with a good clean Supra is well worth it. It is so much easier to repair afterwards, if anything breaks. Also, the problem is with the driver. Definately! If I was to buy that second Supra again, I would for sure. It was still a very costly purchase, but I had the money for it. I learned so much as well. I would drive it more carefully though and that saves you a lot of headaches and money. However, sometimes, I think to myself that I would rather have my own appartment, than my own car... But then ride I my Supra and any idea of that escapes my mind.

To Conclude

Is the supra a fun first car : Yes
Is it costly : Depends if you want it running or not. If you do; based on my experiences, yes.

Is it a good first car? :
The question is, I guess : Are you ready for a Supra. If you think you are; think again... I was wrong twice.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
i spent $1800 in the first 3 months to get mine running right, only drove it twice, no where near first car material. go with IJs advice and get a reliable car, get a "toy" later

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
So, can we all agree that the Miata is a good option for a fun, reliable, affordable first sports car?

I know for a fact I'd be a much better driver if I had started in a Miata...

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
te72;1809356 said:
So, can we all agree that the Miata is a good option for a fun, reliable, affordable first sports car?

Very much so - excellent 1st car. As I mentioned earlier, there's a reason why Skip Barber uses them as their beginner car.

te72;1809356 said:
I know for a fact I'd be a much better driver if I had started in a Miata...

Ditto. I started with way too much power and I've paid some heavy prices because of it.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Just like many people have said before get a Honda. I personally drove a 1996 Honda Accord Coupe Auto for 4 years until last year when it died on me, THEN I got my Supra (even then i paid $6000 for mine).

Honda's are tanks. They require simple oil changes ever ~6000 KMs and tune-ups every 1-2 years and they will last. The only reason I sold mine is cause it needed needed a bunch of stuff done to it which would have cost more than getting a new car so I sold it. It NEVER ONCE broke down on me though in the 4 years I had my Honda. I've had my Supra for about a year now and have had to tow it home 5 times lol.

Unless you're ready to commit to the bittersweet relationship of owning these 20+ year old beauties and pay the money for it, don't buy one. In the year I've had my car, I've had to pay another $6000 to keep it running as it is my DD. I am currently gathering the money together to do 1JZ/ R154 swap as the previous owner of my car did not know what he was doing AT ALL and proceeded to swap in a W58 (non-turbo Tranny) into my GTE-car.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
^You spent that much on a car you've had to tow home 5 times in a year and spent that much to keep it running? Wow!

I spent $1500 to get mine road-worthy, including the cost to buy the car ($800) and repaired the BHG. It's almost rust-free and has been mint ever since, as a DD. Guess I got lucky. Mine is NA as well so that helps a bit....lol.

I'm sure I will have expensive repairs in the next couple years, but nothing I can see costing anywhere near that much.

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
MPR;1809410 said:
^You spent that much on a car you've had to tow home 5 times in a year and spent that much to keep it running? Wow!

I spent $1500 to get mine road-worthy, including the cost to buy the car ($800) and repaired the BHG. It's almost rust-free and has been mint ever since, as a DD. Guess I got lucky. Mine is NA as well so that helps a bit....lol.

I'm sure I will have expensive repairs in the next couple years, but nothing I can see costing anywhere near that much.

Ha ha I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, bought my car with a spun bearing for 700, dropped a crate engine in for 800 shipped, re-torqued the head, and never looked back. It's the first car i've purchased myself ( drove family cars from 16-17, 18 now). it has been perfectly reliable as a DD, went on a 1300 mile road trip, and regularly trounces on the local fart canned hondas and subarus:evil2:. I think that, if you go for an NA and have a willing attitude to learn, a supra can be a good first car. The NA may not be turbo quick, but it's still faster than most other cars on the road, and plenty fast enough to get you in trouble. Plus if you treat it right, it's a comfortable easy riding and rather safe car, seeing as it's built like a tank.

Last edited: