Is there something disadvantageous about this brand new 3" downpipe vs HKS?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
So why pay $300 for HKS or Tanabe when these are so much less? Am I missing something?

Also, what's best to hook up to a stock CT-26 setup? I ran the HKS 3" and it worked beautifully. What's the story with this one with the twin entry divorced wastegate type?

Mirage 3" DP - $225 shipped - Ebay

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It eliminates the stock elbow which is a huge restriction and separates the turbulence the waste gate causes when it opens.

Bic did back to back dyno runs between reg dp and ddp and he gained 32 hp.

The fitment is usually better with the name brands but other than that no difference. If your slammed it's kinda pointless to drop money on something your going to scrape up anyways

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Interesting. Yah I just checked out there site. Looks like they run the wastegate pipe straight into the open. They also offer one like this Mirage design but it's like $400!

Personally, I don't like the way it sounds running straight into the atmosphere. I want to be able to take my Supra on trips without suffering from the constant drone.

When I get a downpipe, I may go this route now. I ran the Eibach drop with HKS DP and didn't have a scraping problem. Anyway thanks!

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
the atmospheric dump only comes into play under full boost. it isn't a problem unless you drive around wot all the time.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They still leak (especially the chinese ones on ebay). Also, where the flex section is on those isn't ideal for a number of reasons. They also don't fit that well. But they're cheap so it's hard to complain...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
check out the driftmotion Dp $199.99 gets rid of elbow 3inch all the way back has bung for Wide band also.

Thats what im thinking about going with .. what do people think about this one any goods and bads on it?

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
As far as i was concerned when i recieved my driftmotion downpipe, it looked very very ebay style to me, fits fine with no problems but i think its just the "better quality" ebay one. The one on my car works fine so no real complaints here

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
To all with Driftmotion D.P did you guys notice a big power difference how much did open up the car? what kind of boost gain did you see?

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Turbo Habanero;1711033 said:
To all with Driftmotion D.P did you guys notice a big power difference how much did open up the car? what kind of boost gain did you see?

Enough to hit fuel cut... Id recommend buying it, fits good and works fine.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
redmaro;1711225 said:
Enough to hit fuel cut... Id recommend buying it, fits good and works fine.

So not really sure how aviod fuel cut in a safe way.

Just upgrading fuel pump/injectors/Lexus afm things of this sort help raise the amount of boost yo can run right?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
So is this Driftmotion pipe 'better' than the Mirage one on Ebay? The Mirage one looks very high quality from the high res pics. How can it leak or not fit. Looks like they made it very well. By the way... is it a real problem to have the flex point at that part of the pipe?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Turbo Habanero;1711226 said:
SoJust upgrading fuel pump/injectors/Lexus afm things of this sort help raise the amount of boost yo can run right?

You don't need to change fuel pumps to avoid fuel cut. The larger Lexus housing will slow the signal to the ECU, so injection isn't cut. And yes, run the larger injectors that go with the larger meter.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
All the Ebay / DM downpipes are all the same part, all made in the same factory and all direct rip offs of the original BIC DDP, some companies just throw thier name on it. Quality control is terrible on all those pipes where as at least 2 out of ten are not even usable. Those wastegate divder plates are a joke, and will leak terribly....assuming they even have a divider. There is plently of other "Ebay" DDP threads out there to search through.

Randy....The guy that invented the original DDP....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
carter;1711230 said:
Isn't the hks downpipe actually 2.5? I remember seeing something about downpipes a while ago...idk

Correct, it's 2.5" where it attaches to the factory elbow. The elbow is the main choke point in the system.