Is the 1JZ swap very difficult in comparison to the 7MGTE swap or am i just paranoid?

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
Hello all. I am considering swapping the1JZ into my 89 NA 5speed supra. I have swapped a 7MGTE into my NA 88 supra and i was wondering is the 1JZ swap similar in difficulty or much harder.I would really appreciate the info. Thanks in advance everyone:icon_bigg

BigSupe

Jun 16, 2007
England
I found it easy because I bought a whole front clip so it was just a case of moving parts from one car to the other. The hardest bit by far was the wiring of the engine loom into the car, but there are a few websites which guide you through it

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
yup as BigSupe said. if you get a clip it will be easier for someone that doesn't have a whole lot of experience with swaps.

i bought a motorset but knew all the pieces i needed that were left over and got them and knew where they went.

wiring is still a pita to me but thats just cause i've never HAD to do it myself so i never really studied it all

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
Ok. I figured that the wiring would be the hardest part but ill prolly have someone else take care of that. Anyone have any suggestions as to where i should get the clip from??

BoostnLoose

Feb 13, 2006
Canada
one thing to take into concideration is are u planning on going single? if so you might as well do it before the engine is in. the stock twins when in the car are very difficult to get out. Besides that theres many sites to help u out with everything u need for the swap. And trust me it's deffinitly worth it! i blew up 3 7mgte's before going to the jay and i would never go back!

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
twins aren't TOOO bad to take out in the car.

i had them tore down to about 80% off then decided to put them back on. then when i went single i tore them both off in about an hour. wasn't that bad. easier out of the car ofcourse but wasn't bad

as for places to get clips....Driftmotion as a SM vendor or Jarco Inc in GA