Is it bad?

skim1040

work in progress
After just replacing my turbo, 60-1 now, I'm really worried about taking good care of it! Wan't it to last, damn things are too expensive!!

But, I noticed that when my last turbo was going out, it would smoke really bad on deceleration. Bad thrust bearing and/or seals right?

So, is it bad or hard on a good turbo to just let off the gas and let the car decelerate without putting the clutch in?

:naughty:

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
So long as your recirc/bov are working correctly then you're just driving the car as Toyota intended.

Just don't boost on cold, and let the car idle for a minute or two before shutting it off and the turbo will appreciate your respect =)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Heard is the key word here ;). This was actually brough up yesterday by jdub in another thread. Back when synthetics first came out they were mostly made of PAO stock which tends to shrink the gaskets and this is where that concept came from, it never really went away due to the ignorance of the general public. This problem was fixed quickly by the oil makers by putting esters into the mix (I think this is right, I'm trying to recal this from the top of my head right now). The esters serve as a gasket conditioner on keep them lubricated and swelled up. Think of it as a kind of chap stick for a gasket (rough comparison, I know) ;).

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If you can find it, try the Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European formula, it will say, "made in Germany" on the back in small letters by the bar code. It can only be found at Auto Zone and is one of the best TRUE synthetic oils out there for the money you spend on it. Most oils that you find at stores now that say synthetic on them aren't really synthetic oils. You'd just be spending more money on a group III oil labelled as a group IV or V.

AZ stopped selling the stuff, so what's left on their shelves is all they'll ever have. I was lucky and got 29 quarts of it from 4 AZ's last friday ;).