Is fuel cut dangerous?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
DeMoN2318;1910407 said:
Is there anyway to adjust the boost without having a tuneable ECU? Is there a boost controler that can be used with the stock ct26?

I can't get through third without hitting fuel cut...

Boost controllers will NOT lower your boost. I do not understand why people think that a boost controller will go any lower than the wastegate spring pressure.

Also, all boost controllers are universal.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
IndigoMKII;1910410 said:
Boost controllers will NOT lower your boost. I do not understand why people think that a boost controller will go any lower than the wastegate spring pressure.

My bad...I do remember reading that somewhere.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
IndigoMKII;1910410 said:

edited because I misunderstood the meaning of "universal".

Most people hit the FCO after shimming the wastegate, you dont need to swap out to a better turbo (ie.. 60-1 or 57 trim) to hit it. It happens faster at higher altitudes as I understand. I had this on a 87 MK3 and it was very annoying because it was difficult to gauge exactly when to shift to avoid it. If you were slightly off it was like the car wanted to embarass the hell out of you.. lol.

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Grandavi;1910456 said:
no.. boost controllers are not quite univeral... there are reasons to spend money. Manual boost controllers are universal.. electronic are not (at least that is what I believe looking at boost curve differences).
Most people hit the FCO after shimming the wastegate, you dont need to swap out to a better turbo (ie.. 60-1 or 57 trim) to hit it. It happens faster at higher altitudes as I understand. I had this on a 87 MK3 and it was very annoying because it was difficult to gauge exactly when to shift to avoid it. If you were slightly off it was like the car wanted to embarass the hell out of you.. lol.

Show me an electric boost controller that is made specific for a car please. EVERY turbo car uses a compressor housing nipple and wastegate nipple which allows any electric boost controller solenoid to fit in between the two.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
DeMoN2318;1910087 said:
Probabaly just because it is pretty violent when it happens. I know when I first hit fuel cut when I bought my first turbo I was like WTF!! Did I blow the motor already?

It's just a shock when you are pulling hard then lose all power and jerk forward.

IndigoMKII;1910459 said:
Show me an electric boost controller that is made specific for a car please. EVERY turbo car uses a compressor housing nipple and wastegate nipple which allows any electric boost controller solenoid to fit in between the two.

sorry, I read "universal" as meaning all the same. Not as in universal as in you can use any boost controller on any car. (edited my post above...)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Grandavi;1910456 said:

Fuel cut happens more easily when the air is denser, so closer to sea level and cool air temperature is what will make you hit it faster. Higher altitude will actually keep you from hitting it for a little longer due to the lower density. It's once the AFM measures a certain amount of air passing through it (as well as running a few other calculations) that the ECU signals fuel cut. Dense air = more air in terms of fuel calculations, so that is why it will hit that threshold sooner.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
radiod;1910671 said:
Fuel cut happens more easily when the air is denser, so closer to sea level and cool air temperature is what will make you hit it faster. Higher altitude will actually keep you from hitting it for a little longer due to the lower density.
This.

In Calgary, you're at almost 4000 ft altitude. On a stock CT26, 12 PSI is probably possible without FCO. Go down to Vancouver, and watch FCO happen at 10 without fail.