Introducing the 'Oh Shit!" Bar

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
So everyone with a Targa hates the shimmy, right? And various people have made braces to combat that. By now everyone's thinking weezlwings I'm sure. Well, as much as I'd love a weezlwing, they're not sold anymore. And if they were, they'd be more expensive than when they were first released I'm sure.

So using my structural engineering expertise, I designed a lovely little brace. A trip to Salem, $18.30, a burnout and 5 hours later, I present you with my version of a targa brace, affectionately dubbed the Oh Shit! Bar.

3609022509_172ded34c7.jpg
3609835448_89b3905a75.jpg

3609020729_b98f244428.jpg

3609025295_a44a3ce2b7.jpg
3609838214_45dc1ebc39.jpg
3609023715_8cac30be75.jpg
3609837718_67d2c0e6fe.jpg

The Mounting brackets are made from 1/4" steel plate with the rightfully sized nuts and bolts. The Tubing is 1", 1/8" thick. The brace holds up surprisingly well, feels like the top never left. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it stiffened the frame up a bit. Not bad for a couple of punk ass college kids. :biglaugh:

Not done yet though, still want to file down the welds, then paint it black. Probably just rattle can it until the powdercoating place opens back up in Salem.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
grimreaper;1339323 said:
nice, you know you cant flash this and not offer to make a few more right? ;)
If there's any interest I may consider it, but as of right now I'm just gonna leave it with this one and move on to the next project.
Moy;1339334 said:
it may not be pretty but it does what it was designed to do. very nice!
My car's not exactly one for pretty at the moment. If you look carefully in some of the pictures you see it's missing a few things.
gaboonviper85;1339346 said:
your targa seals look like they are going to love this...

It would look somewhat decent had you used tubing.
The seals aren't in the best shape to begin with, but that aside it only contacts the seals in one place, and that's in the back. The pictures are a little deceiving, but the brace doesn't actually contact the front seals at all.

As far as tubing, it might've looked better, but I honestly don't think it would've given the same degree of support as it would've been more difficult to weld the cross section. It also would've been bulkier and as a result likely heavier. I don't mind the rigid look, plus I get the satisfaction of knowing I designed it myself.
supradjza80;1339349 said:
i still don't understand why people like these braces. I would much rather have my top on for rigidity rather than look at the car with all the different braces I have seen made.
Then leave your top on and blast the AC. I for one prefer having the top off, and the brace allows me to keep the car feeling firm. It's a happy medium for me, likely has something to do with everyone else that likes them as well.