Interior Rebuild.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
Hey guys..i have an 87 turbo 5 spd supra. its stock white exterior and burgandy cloth interior. im going to get straight to the point. i want to redo the whole interior. First off does anyone know of a good reputable place in Southern California where i can take it to? second if anyone has done this or doen it themselves is there anything i need to point out to the person reupholstering it. i basically wanna go either dark grey or just black cloth material. not the type of suede cloth that comes in our stock interior...but like the new cars nowadays that have that really strong cloth that doesnt seem like it would break...i have really no idea what its called if someone could help me out..but iw as riding in my friends cooper the other day and it had the cloth in it..just seems like...a polo shirt cloth with strong foam inside of it. i wanna do the carpet seats everything...now as far as the dash and the pillars and what not..can all that be painted? or should the upholsterer have some sort of material to strip and replace it with. i really have no idea where to start with doing an interior rebuild...if someone could please help and point me in the right direction to start!! thanks!

PS if anyone has done this at a shop how much did you end up paying? thanks!

John

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Just the seats, I'm sure cloth should be cheaper. Price? the last time I told you about a price It wasn't right I don't think. Think although I'm not a hundred percent sure for leather it was $1300 front/back
They are in Ventura

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
You can find OEM cloth seat, And install them real cheap. Not hard at all you need is hog rings and hog ring pliers. I bought the pliers and hog rings on ebay for $20. If you go that route you must buy the hog rings and pliers. they make it so easy, It's a must. You can buy the carpet fro Anne on the group buy section she quoted me $220 for full carpet front and back. She also sales floor mats. I picked some up for $113. I posted pics on the group buy section they look real nice. As far as the dash I've heard of people dyeing them. My bro in law painted his door panels black and went with the Grey inserts And it looks really nice. He did a couple of layers of primer And a couple of layers of paint. The important part of doing the doors is to let the primer cure in between coats. He hasn't done the hard plastic parts yet so i cant help you there. good luck with you project.

http://www.gtcovers.com/seat-covers...-86-5-92-Supra-Buckets-Front-seat-covers.html

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
^ ah sweet. thanks! hower im not looking to replace with the OEM cloth...that oem cloth looks and feels kinda suede-ish which im not really fond of...the type of cloth im looking for is the ones present in new car...like an 08 mini cooper i was in...it just felt very strong like it wasnt gonna rip as easy as our cloth does. what im really looking for is just any kind of good shop that anyone can recommend that would be good to redo the whole entire interior for me. Thanks!

ATLMkIII

Jan 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
The hard plastic parts look absolutely like crap when painted. I would know, the previous owner of my 87 had painted the maroon a shiny coat of black..

if you are going to be replacing the carpet anyway, you should probably go through with replacing the plastics and mouldings. I am not sure how to dye a dash, but mine was completely cracked, so I replaced it.

Toink

Aug 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
ATLMkIII;1531086 said:
The hard plastic parts look absolutely like crap when painted. I would know, the previous owner of my 87 had painted the maroon a shiny coat of black..

I redid my interior and painted it flat black and I don't think it looks to bad, plus its holding up pretty well so far.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530091&highlight=toink

hopefully i'm allowed to have a link from another site, if not mods just remove it.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
yea i saw that build..its sweet! but im not looking to do it myself. i do not have the time..just looking to see if anyone knows a good shop that does quality work at a fair price. CHIP FOOSE? lol..do you think they would overhaul a supra?!

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
For $100g's they may consider. You must have money to burn because I shop will charge crazy $$$ for full color change and seats recovered. I would think at least $5000 to do it right. The time and materials would be pretty up there alone.