intercooler pipe question pics

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
im fabricating my 2.5" intercooler pipe and I have the cold side done and ready to be welded. my question is should I have it all welded one piece from the throttle body to the intercooler which is my current choice or should I make it a two piece for the cold side with a hump coupler between the two pipes to give it more movement? my main concern is with the engine movement I don't want a intercooler coupler to get torn off or blown off and I don't think they sell a hump reducer coupler for a 2.5" to 3"

top view

arrow points to where I would put the hump coupler if I decide to go two piece

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Always do single piece pipes on both sides if possible.. It can be a pain in the ass to take out and put back in due to this, but it aids in fewer points of failure, especially when you have higher power levels.

I followed this advice and have had no issues, and I use standard 4-play couplers at all 4 connections. No issues with engine movement etc.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
No problem. Also, remember to either weld a bead or bead-roll each intercooler pipe's end to make sure they don't blow off; t-bolt clamps are a good idea too.