intercooler opinions

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
In my opinion: Our stock I.C. should hold I think around 400 h.p. as I've read here on the forums,so I would waste money there unless you want goobs of power. I would say for sure replace the factory hoses. Just my humble opinion as a newber my self.

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
i'll sell u mine its a bigger spearco replica, full 2.5 inch hardpipes, greddy rs bov, port for meth injection(could be plugged) and iat sensor for maft pro(could also be plugged) and all mounts. pm me and lmk i made 355 whp and 386 wtq with a 50 trim ct with this inter cooler, no way u could do that withe the stocker

-Zac

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
89turbotoy;1231638 said:
i'll sell u mine its a bigger spearco replica, full 2.5 inch hardpipes, greddy rs bov, port for meth injection(could be plugged) and iat sensor for maft pro(could also be plugged) and all mounts. pm me and lmk i made 355 whp and 386 wtq with a 50 trim ct with this inter cooler, no way u could do that withe the stocker

-Zac

pm sent

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
thanks. The only mods i have are intake and catback exhaust. I will be getting a downpipe in the future. So do you think maybe i should just get hardpipes and run the stock ic since im not going for big numbers?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Aluminum IC's are the way to go for efficiency. They're a non-moving part so an ebay one would be fine. you can find 2.5" 'universal' kits for ok prices that come with an IC. just make sure you're ready to fiddle with mounting and piping routes. It may or may not save you money. IMHO - Doing that route is much cheaper over a $400+ premade set-up.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Nghty89;1232479 said:
Aluminum IC's are the way to go for efficiency. They're a non-moving part so an ebay one would be fine. you can find 2.5" 'universal' kits for ok prices that come with an IC. just make sure you're ready to fiddle with mounting and piping routes. It may or may not save you money. IMHO - Doing that route is much cheaper over a $400+ premade set-up.

Cheaper, but likely not as effecient. Better to only have to upgrade things once than to have to come back later to improve it further.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
An aluminum IC and correctly routed charge pipes will out do a stock setup, even if they are china cheap parts. How does this affect efficiency in a non-moving part like an IC and pipes? If it was a poorly designed exhaust or manifold, I could see the difference, but a pipe is a pipe and an IC is pretty much the same no matter what (except for sizes that is :icon_bigg). The only difference the IC might make is if you were going for 800-900+hp where every little thing matters, or at least this is what makes sense :biglaugh:

EDIT: After looking closer at that seller, they also sell ebay 'universal' kits. I guarantee the IC and pipes used in the $400 kit are the same as if he were to buy the pipes and IC and route it himself for less money. Nothing wrong with that route :icon_razz

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
IIRC it will replace the first stock cat and bolt to the second. The details for that one say it comes with the necessary bolts and gasket to bolt up to the cat.

New gasket for the turbo? Where, to the manifold or to the DP side?

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Get a Precision Intercooler and be done with it. The Ebays have been tested and they suck as far as bringing down IAT's.