intake gasket

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
hey napa gave me the wrong got damn gasket!!! and they are not open today--go figure im about desperate to get this thing runnin but i wanna do it right....i have lots of gasket maker in a tube.....should i do it and chance a huge vacuum leak/boost leak...or wait till they open tomorow and do it.just taking opinions...anyone ever use gasket maker on a intake?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Personaly, I wouldn't do that. You would probably get massive boost leak and have to do it all over again properly and get the fun of cleaning that stuff off.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i too would wait as you have to wait a decent amount of time for gasket maker to fully cure anyways, and seeing as it is cold out now it would take even longer.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Messy next time you have to deal with it but it'll work.

Better is to tack a length of fishing line or similar around the perimeter of the part with small drops of super glue and overlap the ends a 1/4 inch. Be sure to go outside the bolt holes. Don't think it'll seal? I do it all the time. Not to mention the crankcase halves on airplane engines are sealed this way.

Fwiw you should always examine parts immediately after buying them even if they're going into stock for later use. In fact check them in the store if possible. That also applies to simple things like oil and air filters, spark plugs, etc.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ya it was a freind getting it from napa at half off....hes gonna fix the prob tomorow...i dont wanna have to take off that messy shit again to put it on right...im just gonna wait...

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
1) Grab cereal box
2) Remove bag of cereal
3) cut box to make it a big long piece of cardboard
4) cut new gasket from above box
5) ??????
6) Profit!

(mines holding at 15 psi, i have a new one from Toyota but I'm waiting till i swap my injectors to put it on)

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Mrbaboon said:
1) Grab cereal box
2) Remove bag of cereal
3) cut box to make it a big long piece of cardboard
4) cut new gasket from above box
5) ??????
6) Profit!

(mines holding at 15 psi, i have a new one from Toyota but I'm waiting till i swap my injectors to put it on)
HAHAHA my small engines teacher in highschool used to use cereal box headgaskets for his lawnmowers!!!!

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
jetjock said:
Messy next time you have to deal with it but it'll work.

Better is to tack a length of fishing line or similar around the perimeter of the part with small drops of super glue and overlap the ends a 1/4 inch. Be sure to go outside the bolt holes. Don't think it'll seal? I do it all the time. Not to mention the crankcase halves on airplane engines are sealed this way.

Fwiw you should always examine parts immediately after buying them even if they're going into stock for later use. In fact check them in the store if possible. That also applies to simple things like oil and air filters, spark plugs, etc.

Interesting.... I'll have to try that next time I need to make a gasket.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Fuck this is embarrasing guys....

Cereal box is for cereal go to the parts store and buy some proper Gasket Paper of you have to make your own and a set of Wad punches for the bolt holes (hardest part to make neat).

Or even better wait till they're open and buy the correct gasket.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
IJ. said:

Cereal box is for cereal go to the parts store and buy some proper Gasket Paper of you have to make your own and a set of Wad punches for the bolt holes (hardest part to make neat).

Wow, dude calm down its a gasket, it will be taken care of in the proper maner, no need to get pissy!!! Every goddamn thing is so serious with you, go have a valium!

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I think he meant, use the cereal box for a TEMPLATE, then cut your own out of gasket material which is $2 a square FOOT on a roll, which is about .1% of what the gasket would cost you.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
IJ. said:
Probably NOT a good idea to piss me off.
HAHAHa it probaly dosent matter what i say, your consitantly pissed off anyways:biglaugh: , just calm down its no bigg!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
TheNewRed said:
HAHAHa it probaly dosent matter what i say, your consitantly pissed off anyways:biglaugh: , just calm down its no bigg!
Not pissed off at all I just get sick of reading stupid posts made by tight arses trying to make a million rwhp on 25c.
(If I were pissed off you'd be banned by now)

Frank: I don't think that's what was meant at all.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
IJ. said:

Yes, agreed, its terrible. But I was desperate and the gasket was a 7 day wait to come from Toronto and I needed the car running (it works as a temp so I'm not going to knock it). I would have gone to the parts store for gasket material if I didn't have to drive there (a good 3 hour walk). However the new gasket is being installed as soon as I get back from my holiday in the new year so no worries.

Oh, and they were frosted mini wheats. Mhmmmm.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Baboon: Fine as a temp stopgap to be replaced ASAP but as something to be used "forever" not good at all as the Cereal box doesn't have any tensile strength and will blow out eventually causing an unmetered leak and a lean condition in the closest cylinder and we all know how that usually ends in a turbo motor :(

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
i had the same problem some time ago.
i went to autozone and bought a sheet of gasket making paper.

it is pretty cheap, but kind of a pain in the ass to cut.