Insurance adjuster to see my Supra, tips?

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
This past saturday I was heading towards a friends shop to get some work done on my car and then go pick up some boost controllers from Lincoln "Bluechulappa" when all of a sudden a civic rear ends me at a red light.... The street was prob a 30 mph speed limit street but he hit me really strong pushing me unto oncoming traffic.. Thankfully I recovered and slammed on my brakes. I backed up and heard scraping so at this point I was like, damn my supra is gone. When I saw the back of my car I was surprized to see an intact rear bumper other than a bunch of scratches and bits of white paint from the civic on the far left side. Looked under the car and my 3 inch exhaust was dragging halfway, the vband clamp came lose and then I noticed this...
p1680337_1.jpg

I have no idea how this happened since the hit was from the back, anyways.. An insurance adjuster is coming out maybe today or tomorrow to look at my car and I am not sure on what to do. Do I mention the money invested in my engine and car? Do I stay quiet? Do I try to make it seem worst so the car is totalled and I can do a buy back.... I dont want to take advantege of the situation but at the same time I want something fair... Any one ever gone thru this? any tips or recommendations would be greatly appriciated :)....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bumper cover is hiding the damage, but yeah, that's pretty common in a rear end collision to get a crumple in the side.

Insurance adjuster might try to lowball you and say that isn't from the accident. Just don't sign your life away!

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Lol, no sign life away<< Got that... What would be considered a lowball offer? I would think that to fix that it be atleast $500 for a shop that will blend the paint right... Plus there is the bumper plus I dont know what problems I may have in the future... :( Bluebook has my car/our cars at $2500...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bluebook is terrible for cars over 5 years old.

Similar accident on my mom's miata, was a HELL of a lot more than $500 (think it ended up being close to $2500). Like I said, the bumper cover hides the damage as it will pop back out after the accident while everything underneath is crushed...

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Yeah man, I see wht you mean... Its not possible to tell from the outside the actual damage caused... I jus dont want to lose the car to a few bucks because whts invested in it is way way more than the actual bluebook.... I think I speak for all in this forum when I say that..... I jus dont want to lose my car period, I wouldnt mind swapping everything to a new roller but that would still hurt.... :(.... Lets see how it goes, adjuster will be here in 1 hr to 1hr and 30 minutes sooo... Hoping for the best..

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
The Adjuster's estimate came out to $900 bucks but he said that If the shop I take it to determines it will costs more then they will pay it as well as a rental and so on... Problem is the person handling the case does not give a call back so I can give her my statement and get my money as well as my rental underway. Thanks to Poodles and OneJ for helping me out in this fustrating event but I think this will be good for the car overall... It might just get a new paint/body job :p... Will post pics once its done :D...

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
honestly, with the damage under the cover it'll prolly end up in the 13-1500 range...
none of that blending crap, on older paint it usually looks way better to respray the panel.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Also, ask the shop you take it to about paying them some extra and respraying the whole car. It'll be WAY cheaper to do it at the same time than if you went in out of the blue, you'll get a better paint job, and no worries about blending or panels that don't quite match.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Yeah GrimJack, thats what I am aiming for... I was going to leave the painting of the car for very last but it seems I have a chance here to save alot of money and leave the car looking great again since 20 years ago when I was berely 3 :D... I believe I am going to take it to a shop of someone I know who will prob help me out to raise the price a little so that I can afford to have the whole car painted and fixed from dents that were there before.. I really dont want to take advantege of the insurance company and a guy who was having jus a bad day as I was, if not way worst... I just want my car fixed and on the road again :).... This is all inspiring me to start a new build thread or resurrect my old one lol...