Installing Strut Bars

Jaychen

Jun 29, 2008
Brisbane
Should hte car be jacked up off the ground so there is no pressure on the front suspension when installing a strut bar or should it be on the ground so the suspension is firmly held in place?

Jaychen

Jun 29, 2008
Brisbane
A different suspension configuration entirely? I am quite happy with my bilstein adjustable suspension at the moment!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
j3pz;1117611 said:
no what he is saying is that the most strut bars do squat for our suspension configuration

ftfy

I know of only one that was made that would have any real effect and you'll never find it... The other one would have to be welded on. Even then the difference is going to be extremely minor.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Poodles;1118064 said:
ftfy

I know of only one that was made that would have any real effect and you'll never find it... The other one would have to be welded on. Even then the difference is going to be extremely minor.
That is interesting to know, I thought that the strut bars were designed to take some flex out of the upper strut towers.
What is the difference in our suspension configuration that minimizes the
effect of the strut bars? I have Cusco front and rear bars on mine and
thought I noticed some difference in the handling, maybe less body roll?
Maybe that's just a perceived observation to justify their being on the car?
Cosmetically they look nice, functionally though I'm curious. There are a number of companies selling them for our cars and I wonder why they were
developed and offered in the first place? Maybe as a fad or just for something else to sell to an unknowing public.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Our upper strut mounts aren't under much stress as we have an upper A-arm to take that load unlike most other strut setups.

The only strut bar I've seent hat might do much of anything is the MKIII TRD one, and they are extremely rare. The other way is to reinforce like they did on the Group-A cars with the cage attaching to the strut towers...

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
Poodles;1118106 said:
Our upper strut mounts aren't under much stress as we have an upper A-arm to take that load unlike most other strut setups.

The only strut bar I've seent hat might do much of anything is the MKIII TRD one, and they are extremely rare. The other way is to reinforce like they did on the Group-A cars with the cage attaching to the strut towers...

Was there more than one kind of mk3 strut bar made by TRD?

It seems like the mk4 TRD bar, when fitted on a mk3, would do a better job.

mk3 bar
sm_photo_missing.jpg

mk4 bar, on a mk3
sm_photo_missing.jpg

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
MKIV one would do better in that case, never seen one on a 7M with the normal intake routing until that pic...

The main point is that it would have to resist twisting, and most of the bars are adjustable...

Point being, there are FAR better places to spend your money.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
s0ulstar;1118553 said:
have you guys ever seen or experienced the flex that occurs when you jack up a hardtop from one of the front tow hooks?

even with a strut bar the flex will still happen.....the only way to solve that is one that connects to the front sub frame and to the firewall....anything else is a placebo bar....for looks only and nothing else

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I really should take some pics of when I tried to induce a twist into the chassis.

Trust me, our cars are very stiff for their time, if I did the same thing to an F-body or fox body mustang I wouldn't have been able to close the doors...