Installing Side Differential Oil Seal

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
Okay I finally got the Side Gear Shaft out and yanked out the old seal. I compared my old and new seal and they looked somewhat similar except the new toyota one has some hard metal ring around it while the other one didn't. I wonder if it corroded away or something (but then again how would it as its incased in oil)?

The inner diameter of the seal is right, but the outer diameter of the seal seems way too big for the hole on the diff. I can't even twist or bend the seal to make it slip in the hole. Is there some trick to get it in or do I simply have the wrong seal on hand?

The part # for the seal I have is: 90311-43009

diffoilseal.JPG

Thanks.

Last edited:

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Yup, they improved the seal design. Just be carefull tapping it in, if you dont have a proper seal driver, tap it around evenly a little at a time.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
Jeff Lange said:
It's the right part. The old part number superscedes to that one, you're good to go.

Thanks man, I thought it was the right part... its just that it doesn't seem physically possible to put the seal in.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
tookwik4u89 said:
Yup, they improved the seal design. Just be carefull tapping it in, if you dont have a proper seal driver, tap it around evenly a little at a time.

Not sure about "tapping". I have this thing in my hand now and this metal ring insert in the rubber is like ROCK hard. It seems like I have to tap it into with brute force...

Shit, if they improved it, I wonder if they made it now such that you would have to insert the seal from the inside of the diff instead of outside cause it seems like there is no way this thing is going to be driven in...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Lube it up good with diff oil...a piece of PVC pipe w/ a cap the same diameter as the seal makes a good seal installation tool to tap on ;)

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
On my Mk2 diff, the rubber seal came off easily, and I did not realize that the metal part was left behind in the diff. It looked like part of the diff until the parts guy said I had to pry that metal ring part out. Then it made sense that the seal and metal unit are one peice that replaces the old one. It fit in just fine. Perhaps this is the same issue!

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
tekdeus said:
On my Mk2 diff, the rubber seal came off easily, and I did not realize that the metal part was left behind in the diff. It looked like part of the diff until the parts guy said I had to pry that metal ring part out. Then it made sense that the seal and metal unit are one peice that replaces the old one. It fit in just fine. Perhaps this is the same issue!

I gotta look for the metal ring in my diff then cause I couldn't see it at all... There's also this metal springy loop that goes around the rubber seal that can be easily taken off. I saw that pop off while i was prying off the old seal. Well tonight I guess i will try to insert the seal, but I just don't see how its physically possible to do so without some real pounding.

That metal insert in the seal makes it so stiff that I can't even bend it with my pliars... I'm scared if i take a hammer to it that I'll break it...I'll see tonight...

Is the seal's diameter suppose to be larger than the hole? It's about 1/4 of an inch larger in diameter i think...

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
tekdeus said:
Sounds off. My Mk2 seals were the exact same size as the old ones, and fit very snugly in the housing. They had a large metal ring around the rubber seal.

WOW... What a pain in the arse!!! Okay... well I'm pretty stupid cause the metal ring was like flush with the outer lip of the differential opening and it had rusted together with its surroundings. At first i thought it was just part of the differential becuase it was so incredibly hard.. Then after i started wire brushing the area I saw what i had to do - take that metal ring out!

Biggest PITA was putting back the axle on the side gear shaft... I spent a good 30 mins breaking my neck trying to do it... I finally got the axle at the right height. (horizontal as the TSRM says)

All in all... thanks everyone for their suggestions... I managed to break one seal so for those who are thinking of using a hammer to drive that sucker in, think again... Now i gotta dish out another 10 bucks for one :(