Installing a Water Temp Sender

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
bwest;618565 said:
on the back of the block, under the exhaust manifold, there is a 3/8bspt plug that is in a water jacket. get a 3/8bspt > 1/8npt adapter (most senders are 1/8npt), drop it an you should be fine.

you'll probably have to go to an actual hose shop to find that fitting.

Anyone know what this BSPT, NPT (national pipe thread?) stuff is in mm's or even inches would help...I found this thread after a search here, then have done some googling... but =/.

I read this in a thread as I want to install my temp sender and I'm lost as to what 3/8 bspt? is... 3/8 of an inch? and what 1/8 npt is... I get the whole adapter part...

Also what would be the process for installing this temp sender assuming I have the adaptor as wouldn't there be fluid gushing everywhere unless you drain it first? All help would be much appreciated guys.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
That is the block drain, where you are talking about installing. Not the most accurate of locations to mount a water temp sender.

Either the water outlet housing or the thermostat housing would be a prime location.

1/8" NPT male thread tapers from 3/8" to about 13/32" give or take a few thous.

3/8" NPT male thread tapers from about 5/8" to about 11/16" give or take.

There is a difference, however minute, between BSPT and NPT.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
woah woah

close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

BSPT and NPT are NOT the same.

The difference is usually 1 thread per inch (npt is 27 threads per inch v 28 for bspt). That and the slope degree of the tooth are different too!

DO NOT CROSS THREAD NPT INTO A BSPT HOLE!!!

cml61386

Jun 28, 2007
Buffalo, NY
figgie;957836 said:
woah woah

close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

BSPT and NPT are NOT the same.

The difference is usually 1 thread per inch (npt is 27 threads per inch v 28 for bspt). That and the slope degree of the tooth are different too!

DO NOT CROSS THREAD NPT INTO A BSPT HOLE!!!

Cross threads are the strongest thread you can have.....right before it pulls the threads out.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Fletch124;957554 said:
There is a really nice spot to drill and tap on the water neck on the passenger most side.

Is there? :O umm so me being RHD that would be the drivers side, water neck? where abouts.. (if you have a pic that would be fantastic)

Frank Rizzo;957567 said:
That is the block drain, where you are talking about installing. Not the most accurate of locations to mount a water temp sender.

Either the water outlet housing or the thermostat housing would be a prime location.

Water outlet housing?

If I was to use the thermostat housing, wouldn't I then lose the original temp sender...? so my digital dash will have temp at 0 bottom...?? not that it would bother me...

cml61386

Jun 28, 2007
Buffalo, NY
figgie;958217 said:
I sincerely hope you are joking! Otherwise prepare to get lambasted.

Hey thats the saying at where I work. Of course its a joke, I'm not serious. I figured with that comment that someone would chime in about it.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Guys, if I am to disregard the stock dash sender unit and put the aftermarket gauge in its place on the thermostat, that should in theory work? I recall seeing on some thermostat page that the temperature sender to the ECU is different to the temp sender for the gauge cluster. I'll try find that, and if that works i'll live with my digital dash stuck on bottom bar for temp so I can see on the left the real deal.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
does anyone have any pics of how they installed their autometer mechanical temp gauge on a 1jz? i cant figure out where to put it, because the sender is so huge...im afraid it would obstruct flow where ever i put it.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
vas85;960206 said:
Guys, if I am to disregard the stock dash sender unit and put the aftermarket gauge in its place on the thermostat, that should in theory work? I recall seeing on some thermostat page that the temperature sender to the ECU is different to the temp sender for the gauge cluster. I'll try find that, and if that works i'll live with my digital dash stuck on bottom bar for temp so I can see on the left the real deal.

I removed the stock sender and used a Auto Meter one in it's place and had no issues.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Loki;960302 said:
I removed the stock sender and used a Auto Meter one in it's place and had no issues.

I believe i'm going to do that, as I'm not going to fart ass around getting it in another spot.

Anyone recall possibly where the Thermostat diagram was, I remember seeing one with each plug and a description... still searching for it at the moment.

Edit:
I have found the pic, now the question guys, what is the plug on the top most that isn't labelled (with Blue arrow)?

Last edited:

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
That is your BVSV. Bimetallic Vacuum Switching Valve. Why do you want to know that? I thought you were swapping out the factory temp sender?

Most electric temp gauges use a 1/8" NPT sending unit. Most mechanical temp gauges use a 3/8" NPT sending unit. This is in USA. I have NFI what they sell down under.

You CAN get the 3/8" NPT sending unit to thread in the water outlet housing, but it will fubar the threads and the original sending unit will no longer seal correctly.

People, you can't just thread NPT into BSP ports, but if you think you can, go for it.

Water outlet housing = EFI temp sender, stock gauge sender and cold start injector time switch.

Thermostat housing = BVSV, aux fan sender, a/c temp fan switch

Last edited:

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Frank Rizzo;960920 said:
That is your BVSV. Bimetallic Vacuum Switching Valve. Why do you want to know that? I thought you were swapping out the factory temp sender?

Most electric temp gauges use a 1/8" NPT sending unit. Most mechanical temp gauges use a 3/8" NPT sending unit. This is in USA. I have NFI what they sell down under.

You CAN get the 3/8" NPT sending unit to thread in the water outlet housing, but it will fubar the threads and the original sending unit will no longer seal correctly.

People, you can't just thread NPT into BSP ports, but if you think you can, go for it.

Water outlet housing = EFI temp sender, stock gauge sender and cold start injector.

Thermostat housing = BVSV, aux fan sender, a/c temp fan switch

I am going to swap out with the factory sender unit just wanted to know exactly what everything is in the diagram and that was the only one that I had a blank on.

Cheers for that by the way.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
This can be useful: http://tinyurl.com/297bg2

Or you can drill and tap the flat spot on the housing. FYI the sensor labeled "aux fan sensor" in the photo is wrong. It's the high temp AC cut out, properly called Water Temp Switch # 3. Goes on at 234 F. I use it for the temp alarm input to my engine monitoring system. Got better things to do while driving than watch gages...

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
mischief7m;960299 said:
does anyone have any pics of how they installed their autometer mechanical temp gauge on a 1jz? i cant figure out where to put it, because the sender is so huge...im afraid it would obstruct flow where ever i put it.

on my buddys car we drilled the bottome of the waterneck and tapped it. worked fine and you cant really see it