Installed my BIC DP and 3" exhaust..

sirkus

May 12, 2005
Cartersville, Ga
itsholdingon.tk
Well, I spent friday morning putting on the BIC downpipe.. it was a pretty easy task and what not. Well, I drove it to the muffler shop with just the downpipe on there (it was louuuudddd).. Well, they installed a full 3" pipe to my muffler.. (they even messed up my muffler! Thanks City Muffler!) Well, I paid the guy and backed out of the parking lot... And I took off down the street.. and when I stopped at a redlight.. I noticed, it looked like a cloud of white smoke coming around me. I freaked out.. So i took it back.. and asked the guy a few questions on why it would do this. It has never smoked before. He says that it was because I am running 10w30 oil.. Then he also said that because I don't have cats... it's always going to smoke a little. I was just wondering is this crap true? I changed my oil 2 weeks ago, do I need to change it again? 20w40? I just can't handle the smoking, I was coming through the walmart parking lot.. when I stop to let someone walk by.. it just looks horrible. :icon_sad:

C

cnewingham

I run with no cats, greddy sp, and also the bic ddp and my car doesnt smoke all the time. I think there is a problem. Yeah run 20w-50 instead of 10w-40. Is your car bellowing out tons of smoke? What color is the smoke?

sirkus

May 12, 2005
Cartersville, Ga
itsholdingon.tk
It's White smoke... It only happens when the car idles after I accelerate.. it stops after a few seconds.. And it's just really random when it happens too.. sometimes it won't do it.. but sometimes it does it reallllll Bad

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
my car did the same thing with its BHG.

simple test, get a coolant system pressure tester and see if it holds the pressure when you pump it up. if it dosnt, and there are no water leaks on the ground, you can be pretty sure that its a BHG.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
There are other signs of a bhg besides white smoke. See if your car is overheating,excessive coolant loss, oil in coolant overflow bottle, coolant in the engine oil. Probably alot of other stuff but I can't think of it right now.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
IJ. said:
maybe just oil and crap burning out of the new pipes? (mine did it for a day or so)
Thats kinda what I was thinking. Did you have to use alot of wd-40 or PB blaster when you took off your old dp and installed the BIC one?

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
First off some of the smoking could be due to the new piping that might have some greasy residue inside form the manufacturing process, but that will go away after a day or two. Removing the cats can cause it to smoke more, the cats do clean the exhaust, so by removing the cats it can cause more smoking.

So in short the BIC Downpipe has nothing to do with the smoking :icon_smil

It does sound sort of like a BHG, get it tested, and check if your collant level is dropping.

BTW, blue smoke is burning oil, black is fuel, (too rich) and white is coolant or water.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
Next time try smelling the smoke, if it's coolant it will smell like it. If it smells like oil or really strong burning oil it maybe your turbo seals. I put a bad turbo on my car and it blew out clouds of white smoke after idling for periods of time. Just a thought.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
sounds like turbo seals if it happens only when hes standing still for a long period of time. a bhg would be all the time and we would see other symptoms also i would think. also i agree with bic that it will smoke for a day or 2 before all the stuff in there settles and cures and burns off. dont sweat it just yet

whitemk3

Mar 30, 2005
east TN
Hey, i just put my bic ddp on just the down pipe though and it smoked too, but its not white smoke i think its something thats inside the ddp that cuses it to smoke for a few .

shadeanimal

blaargh?
Apr 12, 2005
Eugene, OR
Sounds exactly like what happened when my turbo seals went bad.
I drove with it like that for a while, and it just started smoking all the time. The smoke smelled like oil though, not coolant.

ippyness

562uned
Jun 1, 2005
Arizona
every turbo supra ive owned.. as soon as theres no cats.. it'll smoke.. either valve seals or old turbo seals.. thicker oil helps :)

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Mine has the same problem. My turbo rebuild kit just arrived from the US. Yay. It was only 150US, so at least this will eliminate the turbo as the problem. YES i did do a compression test before I bought it though and they all came up perfect. Fingers crossed.

sirkus

May 12, 2005
Cartersville, Ga
itsholdingon.tk
becauseican said:
First off some of the smoking could be due to the new piping that might have some greasy residue inside form the manufacturing process, but that will go away after a day or two. Removing the cats can cause it to smoke more, the cats do clean the exhaust, so by removing the cats it can cause more smoking.

So in short the BIC Downpipe has nothing to do with the smoking :icon_smil

It does sound sort of like a BHG, get it tested, and check if your collant level is dropping.

BTW, blue smoke is burning oil, black is fuel, (too rich) and white is coolant or water.

Oh I didn't blame the dp... I do not doubt your great work :)
I was trouble shooting why it did that. And it turns out that cheap ass oil was the cause. I was in Alabama about a month ago and I noticed that I was about 1 quart low when I stopped for gas. So I bought this generic shit at the exxon. Figured it would serve it's purpose. I had the dp installed, and it smoked...Well, I took my car to jiffly lube 2 days ago so they could do an oil flush on my car.. (friend gets me 70% off... why not?) and he informed me that cheap oil mixed with differnt types of oil... reguardless if it's the same weight. It can lead to crap like smoking.. So I changed to 20w40.. after the flush. had a transmission flush and lsd flush done again. I went for the radiator flush too.. after I left there I spent a total of 50 bucks.. I've never had my car running so great! Doesnt smoke anymore, idles great, always right below my half maker on my temp. gauge...

I love the dp, and I love my car again untill this morning, I was crossing an intersection, and an old lady pulled out infront of me! she just come right out of the turn lane and hit my passengerside fender. I wish i still had my digital camera. The whole front bumper and fender are gone. Headlight won't pop up, hood wouldn't come up either. She said "I didn't see you coming" Yeah... a supra is a small car... ... stupid bitch. It still runs and drives great, just dented the hell out of it. I tried to swerve into the left lane but i wasnt fast enough. So I think I saved the car by doing that. But her insurnce will be buying me a new paintjob atleast! :) I'm still a little stoked from that... but yeah, atleast I'll get my front bumper and fender fixed and get a new paintjob. I'll try to get pics of it soon as possible.. atleast before I get it fixed.

Thanks again BIC for a kick ass downpipe! :)