Installed DM downpipe

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Well, I've finally started piecing together my exhaust after making sure the engine was getting good cool, clean air.

I had been looking around for a 3" dp and finally decided to buy the 3" dp from DM, ordered it around the 30th of August and got it the 6th of September. The package arrived with both ends of the box torn due to UPS throwing it around, the box was also partially collapsed in the middle. So I opened the package to find that the DP was nicely wrapped in bubble tape along with new bolts and gaskets for both mating surfaces.

After removing the nuts from the turbo elbow they came off very easily, thank god for anti-seize, I had to cut my exhaust into two sections. The previous owner decided to weld a borla catback DIRECTLY to the stock downpipe cat, after cutting it the pieces easily came out.

Installing the new downpipe was just as easy as removing the old one. Put on a good amount of anti-seize and torqued the nuts back to spec then fired her up.

:aigo:OH MY GOD IT'S LOUD. When I first started the car everything inside was rattling due to the harmonics from being at cold start rpm. I took her for a test drive after I let her warm up and there's no more hiding that I'm turbo, you can hear it spool at all rpms and any throttle input. Once you get on the gas, you can REALLY hear the turbo, it sounds like I have a DDP installed. I drove about a mile away and my friend at my house could still hear me so I will be trying to buy the DM 3" catback ASAP to try and quiet it down. On my return trip I really got into it to find that first gear is now almost useless and the cars rear end skates around in 2nd, also I hit fuel cut when I left the car floored in 3rd. So just from installing DM IC kit, apexi air filter adapter, ct2657 and the DM 3" dp, I hit fuel cut with NO boost controller hooked up OR shims on the wastegate.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this downpipe, the welds are not the greatest but better than some of the others I have seen. I had zero fitment issues and the only tiny compliant I have is that the downpipe does rattle against the transmission.

Will be posting pics within a day or two.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
NCMK3;1873861 said:
I was planning on doing the same DM set up but if its really this loud i'm still debating on their basic downpipe or the DDP...

Well, I'll be taking a video within a day or two, soon as I find my microflash again. With JUST the downpipe, my friends can hear me well over a mile away and when I'm boosting they say they can hear the turbo screaming as it sounds like an f1 running around.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
IndigoMKII;1874010 said:
Well, I'll be taking a video within a day or two, soon as I find my microflash again. With JUST the downpipe, my friends can hear me well over a mile away and when I'm boosting they say they can hear the turbo screaming as it sounds like an f1 running around.

Ok sooo this is just downpipe. No muffler or catty right. I was thinking of the DM kit but if its loud i wouldn't like that.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If you want a nice tone with volume the BIC Thunder Catback is pretty wicked. I had a 3" version of it on my car without the optional resonator and absolutely loved it. Did have a bit of a drone between 2000 - 2500 rpm that wasn't horrible in the driver seat but quite loud and annoying in the passenger seat.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
The DM downpipe by itself won't make anything louder. Not having anything after the downpipe is what's making the OP's loud.

I've had a DM downpipe on mine for a couple years now. When I first got it I had no cat and stock cat back with rust holes. It didn't change the sound before/after adding the downpipe.
Now there's a Blitz NUR Spec and it growls nicely. Can't speak for the DM catback but I've yet to have an issue with DM parts, I just wanted the Blitz after hearing/seeing it and had the extra $$$ at the time.

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
I have HKS from the turbo out... and mine is quiet enough that it puts my son to sleep... at idle.... But when I start to boost... It sounds like a jet taking off. According to my wife and father... I love mine. A true sleeper. I've had quite a few people ask, "are you even turbod'd?" O, yes!!! lol

CT-26 60 trim. HKS down pipe. HKS dragger cat back exhaust.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Suprapowaz!(2);1874772 said:
Yeah, sounds like he's running open downpipe.

Yep, took it out to fill up with gas, which gas prices are stupid right now.. I had so many people stare, some gave me dirty looks while others were looking at me really confused.