Inner tie rod frustration ?!?!?!?!

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
So I am in the process of redoing the suspension on the supra (new shocks, springs, lower ball joints and front upper arms) and wanted to replace the tie rod ends at the same time. But the supra gods had other plans...
Not with a torch, not with a air chisel and not even with two 18" pipe wrenches can I get the tie rod end to unscrew from the inner.

So rather than continuing to fight with it I figured, guess I'm doing the inner tie rod too!
Ya right. The passenger side inner tie rod doesn't exist! I have called every parts place in town just to have them tell me "that weird, I can't get the right one"

So my last call was to Toyota where I found out something interesting. They told me that both part numbers were the exact same. Huh, I had my doubts (especially because the kid also ask of the tie rod was for the front or rear...) so I checked the tsrm and sure enough they are the same part number (45503-29175)

I guess this is my long winded (and very frustrated) way of asking, are they the same on both sides? Has anyone replaced these that can help clear things up??

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Our early Supra's do have different inner tie rod ends.
This is due to one of them having a different design to accommodate the bracket for the steering dampener.

Attached an image I took of when I was rebuilding my steering rack.
Left tie rod in the photo is the passenger side.
Right tie rod is the drivers side.

Also attached a photo I took of the completed unit.
20170228_221932.jpg
20170305_145801_1.jpg

OEM Part Numbers:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=4505&P=2
45504-19015 - Passenger
45503-19085 - Driver

Centric Part Numbers:
612.44158 - Passenger
612.44167 - Driver

There are a few other companies that list the different tie rod ends.
Rockauto lists a few.

You might be able to get 2 drivers side inner tie rods and eliminate the steering dampener, but the length of the tie rods appear to be different.
I can't confirm this.
Make sure to get new lock claw washers, do not re-use the old ones.

Last edited:

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Thanks so much for the info! You were defiantly right, the inner tie rods are completely different due to the steering damper.

I may end up replacing the entire rack at this point. It is leaking anyway.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Be careful.
I am currently inspecting and repairing an A1Cardone rebuild unit that I just purchased.

Its pathetic the rebuild quality of these things.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I will post up photos of it as well as my findings probably in a couple days.

Its not good...

Just installed it into the vehicle and I find another issue with it.
Going to have to pull it again and swap parts from my existing rack again to make it work.

I hope I have enough spare parts lying around to make at least 1 good working rack.

No it does not include bushings.
Nor does it include the lock nuts on the inner tie rods.

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
My 1st remain A1Cardone rack I bought this summer had a slow leak and I sent it in for a replacement and now its been about a month now on the 2nd replacement with no problems. The other issue seemed to be the mounting tab on the passenger side for the steering damper bolt seemed to be slightly out of position on the rack. I bought mine through the Advance Autoparts website for $128 shipped and it has a lifetime warranty (even though I really don't want to change it every year).

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
It seems like I received the worst possible rebuilt one I have ever seen.

I took lots of photos and documented all the issues.
Will create a thread on it.

Rockauto or A1Cardone will have to remedy the situation after I send my findings to them in full.
This is downright pitiful.
I wouldn't be surprised if their rebuild process is to replace the inner tie rods, paint it and call it a rebuild.