injectors or sensor problem?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Just got an 89 supra and it runs pretty good. It has an oil leak and a bhg, the owner said it had a rod knock but it deffinately doesn't, it is a slight tick noise, I'm thinking lifter tick or valves. That is not the problem I'm worried about. It runs good and idles good, but when driving, and you give it gas (around 3 or 4000rpms) and then let off gass it dies. I have a few ideas that it could be like the injectors shooting in too much gas or a bad o2 sensor. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know for sure so let me know what you guys think. Maybe its happened to some of you?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Use the link in my signature to check your diagnostic trouble codes. :) And don't drive it with a BHG!

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
shaeff;1254939 said:
Use the link in my signature to check your diagnostic trouble codes. :) And don't drive it with a BHG!

Haha ok thanks. Its hard not to but I deffinately don't want to put more damage on it so ill put the mhg on when its delivered along with the arps.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
get the head and block resurfaced and lapped before putting the mhg in... otherwise your likely to end up with another blown headgasket.
if u dont have the cash for that, i recommend a toyota composite hg

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I think i found out the reason it was dying. The person before me has a blitz blowoff valve and its not recirculated its to the atmosphere and its not supposed to be right now, its in the wrong spot or something, not for sure yet but thats what it is. It needs to be recirculated.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
sneakypete;1255229 said:
get the head and block resurfaced and lapped before putting the mhg in... otherwise your likely to end up with another blown headgasket.
if u dont have the cash for that, i recommend a toyota composite hg

ok and i see you have the titan mhg, i ordered that one but its only 1.4mm thick, are they pretty good head gaskets?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Headgasket thickness is supposed to be calculated by how much material is removed from the head/block.

And did you check your codes yet?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Fix your head gasket, or you'll be doing more than that. I'm sure once its all bck together you'll have some other issues to deal with. And of course codes are the first on the list of troubleshooting.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
*james*;1255742 said:
ok and i see you have the titan mhg, i ordered that one but its only 1.4mm thick, are they pretty good head gaskets?

yea so far so good on the titan... i got the 2.0mm headgaskets since the head and block was shaved down previously. i only needed a 1.7mm hg, but since they dont sell that size and i am aiming for high boost levels, we went with the 2.0mm to bring down the compression
ask your machinist what size you need before you install yours
-pete