Injector Noise

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Do the injectors make noise that can be heard inside the cabin while idling? If they do, what does it sound like? And would it come from the air intake chamber? Thanks.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
injectors do make noise but your not going to hear it over your engine unless its super quiet...what you are probably hearing is the famous valve knock...or where the the cams hit the valve to push it down. 7m's are known for this and it isn't a huge deal. My car sounds like a sewing machine most of the time but runs find. and I can seem to hear it alot better in the car then under the hood for some reason.

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
Injectors make a small amount of noise, but usually to get the sound noticed you take a screwdriver and touch the injector with the point and put your ear to the butt. I'd agree with rumptis. Sounds alot like valve knock. My 69 stang with a 302 sounded like a crack addict on a typewriter before I tore it down and rebuilt the entire thing.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
It is not a tapping noise, it is more of a squeal or whistle. It only happens when I am not accelerating. It happens when idling or decelerating. It doesn't seem to be a vacuum leak, it happens if I have the car in park and run the rpms up...

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
the stock ones make a loud clicking noise at idle. I have RCs now and it sounds different than it used to. squeal or whistle is something else. maybe the belts or alt? it could be a lot of things.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
jkendall86 said:
It is not a tapping noise, it is more of a squeal or whistle. It only happens when I am not accelerating. It happens when idling or decelerating. It doesn't seem to be a vacuum leak, it happens if I have the car in park and run the rpms up...

Are you running an aftermarket air filter or the stock setup?

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
I have a K&N intake that was put on about a year ago. No noise until recently. The whistling sounds like it is from the air intake chamber. Don't think it is vacuum because it does not go away if I rev up the engine in park. Does not sound like it is coming from the belts either. Happens when the car is warm, steady speed or decelerating or at a stop light. Disappears when I accelerate...

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
jkendall86 said:
I have a K&N intake that was put on about a year ago. No noise until recently. The whistling sounds like it is from the air intake chamber. Don't think it is vacuum because it does not go away if I rev up the engine in park. Does not sound like it is coming from the belts either. Happens when the car is warm, steady speed or decelerating or at a stop light. Disappears when I accelerate...

When you say "the air intake chamber", do you mean the upper intake manifold that the throttle body is bolted to or something else?

Any other symptoms? High idle? Low idle?

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Aspec said:
When you say "the air intake chamber", do you mean the upper intake manifold that the throttle body is bolted to or something else?

Any other symptoms? High idle? Low idle?

The upper chamber that the TB is connected to...Other than the whistle, it runs fine....whistle drives me crazy, very high pitch...