Initial Questions (Mostly about oiling)

mrgibs121

Feb 4, 2015
rochester
Hey guys, so I just posted in the introductions section. I purchased suprahooked's Mk3 this weekend and drove her 5 hours home. The car runs spectacular and i want to make sure it stays that way. I have been reading a lot about rod knock and the supra oiling system and would like your opinions on some things. I have searched but there is a boatload of contradicting information and opinions.

1. Its got pretty old oil in it now, what would you recommend as a good oil for a forged 7m, operated mostly in 65-85 degree weather?
2. I know oil pressure tends to run low on these cars, and that the stock gauge is a lying sack of poo, but it never gets above the space in between the first line and 40psi even when cruising. is this ok? Ill be putting a good oil pressure gauge on before I really drive it at all. It did have a new pump put in when the engine was built.

Thanks for your help!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
1. If it's not some crazy build, a quality 10W-30 as recommended by the owner's manual is going to be your best bet.
2. The oil pressure you describe is perfectly fine. 25psi while cruising, and 40psi on cold start are normal for your average healthy engine, I wouldn't fret with what you have right now, it's perfect.

Rod knock:
Supracentral really lays it out perfectly in this thread. Read up, enjoy, and don't let your car run low on oil:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?20486-Rod-Knock-Diagnosis-and-FAQ

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
You want a 0w30. The best way I can explain the reasoning behind this is as the temperature drops, the oil will thicken less with a 0w over a 5w, or a 5w over a 10w. More oil flow at cold start = less wear. And when it warms up it's nearly identical to a 10w30.

Just don't go to a parts store and ask for 0w30 and an oil filter for a 89 Toyota. I did that and they said it was too thin and they can get away with running it in newer cars because they have tighter tolerances. I laughed and went down the street to another parts store

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
I was running purple royal in that car 5w30 full syn. and I always run with 1 quart above the full mark.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
An accusump would be a great addition if you want even more rod knock prevention too. Totally agree 0w30 quart extra