Infected with MGSS

Yotaholic

Apr 2, 2007
Nfld.Canada
Yup,, I have it and I have it bad :icon_bigg " Multiple Generation Supra Syndrome " I've been stuck on MKII's since buying my first one in 1990 . Since then i've had 4 . Now last week this MKIII deal fell in my lap,, I just couldn't pass it up. Here's how it went down ..

I get a phone call from a co worker at another location . She says her husband has an old Supra that hasn't been on the road in years and now he wants to get rid of it. She heard I was into Supras lol. Anyway she said they have had the car for 15yrs but it hasn't been working in 3 or 4 .

Well ,,she has my attention at this point

I ask ,,what year ? She says 89 . I ask is it a 7mgte ? She says it's a Toyota Supra ,,that's all I know . I tell her no worries ,, ask hubby to give me a call .

10 mins later the phone rings .It's her husband " hey I heard you might want my old Supra" I say" maybe ,,whats's wrong with it and is it a turbo or NA ? " a brief pause then,," man I have no fucking idea what's wrong with it but yeah it's a turbo " I had a friend ( Honda Tech) come over and do a service on it 3 1/2 yrs ago and it hasn't worked right since . It will idle fine but just dies when you try to put it in gear and move . If you ease in on the gas you can get it to move but not even close to road worthy. I've tried everything and had it at 2 different garages and they couldn't find the problem either. Then we bought a new car and it's been sitting ever since. I Say " hmm is it in good shape ? " He says ,,hell yeah , it's been in my garage for the last 3 yrs. A little nic here and there but yes good shape . I say ok ,, How much ??

He then starts to go on about his wife wants a boat now,, blah blah blah ,,, I say ok ,, so how much ? He said " if he had it running right he would want a lot but,, it's not ,,,so how's about $1000.00 bucks. I say " well that's cheap ,, are you sure it's in descent shape ? His reply " yup "

I said "OK it's worth that in parts " send it back on our truck and i'll deal with it " I was expecting crap in a white wrapper LOL

Well it arrived !! I opened up the doors on our truck and I see a White MKIII with no damage or rust on the front end .. I think " hmm that's a nice surprise " I open the hood and look around at a dirty 7mgte that's been coated in rust proofing . Anyway as I look around a little further I see the afm connector is twisted around so you can just see the side of the afm. I grab the connector and it falls off in my hand . I laugh and think " nahhh he must have checked that . Guess what ,,, NOPE BAHAHA I plug it in "all the way in" and jump in, turn the key and it starts like a new car. No smoke , no hicup ,, I drive it out of the truck and around the parking lot. Smooth , nice tranny , no hesistation , no problem I can't believe he didn't check the connector. It was hanging off !! Should I be feeling guilty (like Iam ) and give him back his car ?

SOoo here is what 1K and a bit of luck can get you. I do have a few spots to touch up and maybe an leak or 2 but all in all ,,, I think I stole his Supra ! I do feel a little guilty about it ,, but ,,I have the bill of sale and he has my 1K

If you have any comments , suggestions or know some things I should check on please speak up . This MKIII sweetness is all new to me :icon_bigg

p1402252_1.jpg

p1402252_2.jpg

needs some tlc
p1402252_3.jpg

p1402252_4.jpg

p1402252_5.jpg

Last edited:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
FUCKING Beautiful supras, i loved the story lucky find i hope to get another one day in a similar fashion.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
wOW ALL I CAN SAY.... I never get that lucky in life haha. you better keep that. He doesnt want the to take the time to figure out its as simple as connecting a wire then thats his fault. As far as taking it to shop's and they didnt find the problem guy needs new mechanics lol.

Yotaholic

Apr 2, 2007
Nfld.Canada
Thanks guys ! So it's called Oxblood ? Nice lol

question for ya ,, is that my ABS light on in the dash ? Is it a common speed sensor in the wheel fix it, or something else ?

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Holy shit dude that is clean!

I bought mine for that with a dud engine and warped panels...

I don't think so, it looks like a taillight is out light. Id say your back right.

Yotaholic

Apr 2, 2007
Nfld.Canada
Bri7man;1402294 said:
Holy shit dude that is clean!

I bought mine for that with a dud engine and warped panels...

I don't think so, it looks like a taillight is out light. Id say your back right.

Wow,, it's sexy and smart :icon_bigg

Thanks,, i'll get right on that ! I haven't spent much time at it yet ,,it's only been a few days . I did however clean it ,,the paint was left uncovered in a garage for years . It was gray with dust and dirt,, I think it was used as a shelf for a while :3d_frown: The interior had enough dirt in it to plant potatoes and the engine was cover in 1/2" of rustproofing snot. A little clean up and she looks sweet as. I'll spend some time at it over the winter . 100K service , HG , WP , 4 corner suspension job and maybe an IC. I'm keeping it fairly stock for the wife. She's calling it her's ,,,,what have I done ? :1zhelp:

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Dude that car is nothing comapred to mine...

I had to gut my whole interior because it was so badly infected with std's. The only reason I still have the driver seat in is because I love the controls and I can't afford an aftermarket one.

It's a trip tho, foam splashing out warped leather loosely falling off like a mummies wraps. It gives it personality:)

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
That interior looks immaculate. KEEP IT forst of all. And it commonly referred to as maroon or more commonly burgundy interior.

I wouldn't sell it. No way ;)

Just don't rub it in their faces and make them feel bad. He loved that supra long ago and would probably feel like shit knowing what the problem was...lol.

Yotaholic

Apr 2, 2007
Nfld.Canada
Yeah so much for that last one ,,, the guy called our driver and asked him how we got the car off the truck . Dave (driver) told him I walked up to the car ,opened the hood for a min , then jumped in and drove it off the truck. He says " Bullshit ! how did you get it off the truck? " Dave laughed and said " no man, he really did drive it off the truck and then drove it home." He hangs up and calls me ,,, then I started feeling guilty.

I had planned on selling it for a quick buck but after driving it for a few days and now the wife liking it ,,well ,,I'm gonna keep it :icon_bigg

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
It's a sin to let a sucker keep his money. Or Supra;), and clearly he didn't give a shit about it, if it sat that long with no attention payed to it.

Good score, man white is nice...

Yotaholic

Apr 2, 2007
Nfld.Canada
OneJSupra;1402722 said:
Very nice. I see a JZ swap in the future. Perhaps 2J this time.

Great minds think alike ,,I just found my first coolant leak on the 7m . Why in the hell did Toyota put a rubber nipple on a heater return line right next to the turbo ? WTF were they thinking ? Is this something that needs to be replaced every year ?

It looks like a pita to get at,,, busted knuckle time I guess. What are you guys using to cap it ? I'm not putting rubber back on it :nono: