In the market for an MKIII Supra

upbeatcris

May 20, 2015
Chico
First off I hope I'm posting this in the correct place and I'm sorry if I am not.

I've been out of the "Supra game" for a while not going on to different cars and eventually leasing a new car 3 years ago and the time has come to buy an other car again. I've been searching good ol' craiglist for a decent supra that looks nice but above all, sounds reliable. I am originally from Chico, CA and in Los Angeles, CA visiting family for the summer and plan on making the trip back up in the supra. I have saved up approximately 7k to buy a car and plan on spending 5-6k on a Supra depending on the condition. I have always loved my Supras and taken good care of them but not that I am actually making money, I can go above and beyond. Currently I am at a fork in the road deciding between a 7MGTE or a 1JZGTE and making an effort to inform myself more so I can make the best/most reliable choice.

here is an example of each of my "biggest" options:
7MGTE
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5015761083.html
this one apparently needs a tune up but I am afraid what that could actually mean (first one thing then an other).

1JZGTE
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5015761083.html
this one seems most reliable but then again, I am virtually new to the 1JZ engine. I have read that getting a oil catch can with a baffle is a must, replacing the PVC valve every 10k miles is a must, and one more thing I can't currently remember.

Please leave some input or advice and I will make sure to let you guys know what option I went with and what the verdict was.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
They're great cars. They're fun. They can be fast. But there are only a handful that are reliable and the people that own them spent a lot of time and money to get them that reliable. 6k is just enough money to get you a Supra that would be a good canvas to make reliable if you are willing to spend lots of time and more money on it. If you are willing to put more in it as time goes on, then you might be ok, but realize that even a simple repair can get very expensive very quickly.

-AM3

upbeatcris

May 20, 2015
Chico
I will keep that in mind. Currently, I am here for 3 months (Summer break) I hope that is enough time to get what ever Supra I buy reliable enough to drive it back up to Chico. I appreciate the quick reply.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Three months is just enough time to find out what is wrong with it, and maybe fix it enough to give you a false sense of security. Also, how much money are you going to be able to put into over those three months?

-AM3

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm looking to sell mine in the future and move up to an M5. It might be a lot of what you're looking for (reliable, quick, complete, ready to be a daily), but definitely on the upper end of your price range. It's one of the better kept 7M mk3s I've ever seen in person and, dare i say, one of the better of the active members on here as of late.

Let me know if that's something you might be interested in and I can share more info (pics, videos, specs, etc...).