In place of the testpipe..

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
So i'm looking to get rid of exhaust drone. We got here a BIC test pipe that i'm lookiing to replace with a drone canceling device.
Is there a resonator to fit the spot of this testpipe? Or do i need to just settle for a cat? A cutout is planned to go in before this, so i'm ljust ooking to get a drone-free or just less drony nice exhaust sound for puttin around town with.

idears?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Mine only has slight drone and my exhaust consists of a Ebay DDP, 3" Stainless Steel 935 motorsports DIY piping, with a Vibrant performance resonator and a Apexi WS2 out back, all 3". It sounds really nice, quiet, and [again] has slight drone at certain rpms.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you're trying to get rid of drone, why not KEEP the cat and add in a resonator between the cat and the muffler.

That way you greatly reduce drone, you aren't needlessly polluting, and you'll still have your cut-out for performance when you need to romp around town. :)

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Add a couple of resonators. Measure the length of the test pipe and fine a resonator that length. Or, if you don't mind shortening your exhaust, get the longest resonator you can fit up there (like a 24") and re weld the flanges back on to make it fit.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
im trying to find a nice bolt up so i dont have to cut up the RSR midsection. Bascially i want to avoid cutting and welding. My last full exhaust was all one piece and that kind of sucked when i wanted to do shit down there.
I guess ill measure the BIC test pipe and see what i can find

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Im running a HKS DP, BIC Test Pipe, and Tanabe SHM. Hardly any noticible drone, it has a nice hum while cruising but not a "drive you crazy" hum.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
The drone that really annoys me is the one you get going up a hill at around 2k rpms.

This exhaust is a 3" elbow --> HKS DP --> BIC testpipe --> RSR midsection --> RSR muffler.

The new setup will be my good ol' DDP with an electric cutout welded into the lower section --> resonator --> 3" mid section --> shortened RSR muffler section (the way the rsr exhaust exits is completely hideous to me and must be shortened and tucked.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
The key to noise reducion is to fit full body sized muffler(s). Resonators are too small to make much difference. Have a look at a photo of a Tanabe Hyper Medallion exhaust and you can see it has two good sized mufflers. I had a 13" long Vibrant 3" muffler added to my exhaust right near the differential. With 2 mufflers and a cat, my car has a great tone and with very little drone at all.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
or.... you could trade me the rsr for my 3" hks sport exhaust. its very quiet and looks stock. im running lipp 3" elbow>3" rt downpipe>3" test pipe>3" hks sport

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Poodles;1300022 said:
RSR is LOUD

Sell it, and get one that isn't loud LOL

hah! This exahust is quiet to me.
My old exhaust was a DDP --> 3" Custom Piping (crushed) -->Megan Muffler
That made this seem quiet. I really dont think its loud, i like it, i just dont like drone.
I guess after driving around with an open wastegate all the time, anything seems quiet:dunno: hah

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
sneakypete;1300559 said:
or.... you could trade me the rsr for my 3" hks sport exhaust. its very quiet and looks stock. im running lipp 3" elbow>3" rt downpipe>3" test pipe>3" hks sport

reaalllyyy

North Jersey huh? Cant get much closer than that. What town?