In need of a cylinder head :(

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
mk3_89turbo;1524545 said:
Really!!!?! maybe. pekin illinois. near peoria.

Yup, I'll give it to you if you come down and get it. It's out of an 87. Now it's been sitting in my garage for years, & i can't speak to it's straightness.

mk3_89turbo

May 27, 2009
illinois
Well shoot. i might as well get a whole engine. who knows what other damages were done. the mechanic told me that 2 cylinders aren't even firing and that it took forever for a pressure test. by the time i get done paying for the head and for it to be replaced i might as well spend the extra few hundred to get a motor swapped. anyone know where i can find a crate motor?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Why not just rebuild yours?

No crate motors for our cars. You can get a new one for like 5k.

What is wrong with your head? Cracked?

You can do a basic rebuild like rings, bearings, hg, and gasket set for a few hundred bux and then cost of machine shop depending what you do could be 3-500 up to 1200.

Jdm unknown motors that are not low milage anymore are around 1200-1300+shipping which might need a rebuild anyways.

mk3_89turbo

May 27, 2009
illinois
yeah he said the head is deff screwed. i'm worried about the block. he said it could possibly be warped which if it is then i have to buy a motor. but what is the likelihood of a warped block?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
mk3_89turbo;1524623 said:
yeah he said the head is deff screwed. i'm worried about the block. he said it could possibly be warped which if it is then i have to buy a motor. but what is the likelihood of a warped block?

Slim...even if it is it can be machined true within reason.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
it took me going through FIVE different used heads, and i still havent found a useable one.