Import MK4?

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
So I've been doing some research and I think I would like to import a mk4 from Japan. The website says it needs to be at least 25 years old but could offer storage if its not quite to that point. My question is if I could just buy a MK4 body with ONLY the engine and transmission removed making the car a roller/parts car. If I can do this would they still give me some sort of title? Or would I just wait until it hits the 25 year mark and get it a brand new title? I wouldnt want to show up to the DMV once it's 25 years old and get the run around saying I need a title or something. My next questions is if I could buy a RHD roller as previously stated and just put in a 2JZGTE with a R154 trans that I've purchased else where and register it before its even 25 years old. Im not sure if this is in the right section or not so feel free to move it.

So could I buy a 98 mk4 roller and just throw a 2JZGTE in it and register it? Im assuming no since that seems like an extremely obvious loop hole but ya never know.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Why would you. After importation fees and registration it would be cheaper to buy one out here.

And why buy a car that you wouldn't be able to register for another 7 years. That's just a waste of time space and money b

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I've researched it. It would definitely recommend much cheaper to import. If I import a 1993 it would be legal to register in 2018. That's less than 2 years using the correct math.byou will not find a cheaper one in the states. I've been looking. After import fees it's possible to get one for under 15k. You could import the body, buy a 2jzgte engine and a r154 trans and have a mk4 for under or around 15k. Can't drive it until 2018 but that's not that far off

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
did you include shipping charges and tax?

And why waste the time to remove the engine. Might as well buy a 6 speed car and then register it. Your not gaining anything by removing the engine.

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
The purpose of removing the engine is to avoid customs so that I could get the car right away and not have to wait 2 years to import it. Tax is less than a grand and import fees are 1500. By removing the engine and shipping the car over partially disassembled they are classified as car parts and not a driveable vehicle. I couldnt drive it or register it but at least id have it right away. I think I've decided to just buy one and have them store it until it can be exported. Saves $3000 by just having some patience I guess. Then I can fly out and drive it right away as well.

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I dont mean to sound pissy or anything so Im sorry if my attitude came off like that. I mean after everything is said and done I could have a manual RHD 2JZGE supra with less than 50k miles for around $15k. Obviously the 5-speed but I just dont see myself finding a LHD like that here in the states for under 20k even. Everyone wants a lot of money for theirs unless its an automatic and I've read that an auto to manual conversion is very costly and time consuming.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Na mk4 go anywhere from 8-20k. Turbos are usually 20k plus.

15 and all the hassle and waiting for a na just doesn't seem very worth it to me. But that's up to you.

rhd vs lhd doesn't really mean much. I'd rather lhd. Less hassle and more comfortable.

7mLove

Addict
Nov 11, 2009
Barksdale AFB, Louisiana United States
Lets say you get a 98 shell over here. You put a r154 and a 2j in it. What happens when you go to register the car. It still has the VIN from a 1998 RHD supra which is not importable. They will not register it no one will insure it and every time you get pulled over they WILL impound it. You would then need to buy a LHD supra shell from America and swap the vin over, (highly illegal btw) and still for a wrecked mk4 you're looking at LEAST 5k. You buy a shell from japan 5k, import fees taxes title all that which I don't even think you can get it over here reguardless if it has a motor or not that's another 4-6k probably more since it doesn't run. Then another 5k to swap in a 2jz plus trans clutch setup drive shaft (this is also on the low side). We are already up to 20k+ all this to have a beat body, ragged RHD supra...For 20k you can get a decently clean 6 SPEED TT that you can DRIVE. All that work just to have the steering wheel on the other side plus the risk factor of having it impounded every time you drive it.

also idk who told you 1500 to import plus tax. any reputable importer will charge you 4-6k to handle everything...your best shot is to join the military pray you get put on c-130's get stationed in japan buy a car there wait 2 years until they pcs you and have the military import your car for you for free.

Im currently in Al Udeid with a bunch of 130 guys 3 of which have gtr's and that's exactly what they are having done.