Import/export of a mk3

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
I have begun considering moving out of Monterey here, and thinking about going towards Europe. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience importing a vehicle to Europe, GB or germany in particular. Anything I would have to modify, replace etc?

Ps. I would want to bring my mk3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I just went to one of those international shipping companies that ships anything across the seas. I was curious to find out how much it cost to ship a car. For some reason I was thinking it was going to be over 10grand and up to ship a car. I entered the info needed from a port in LA Cali, to Amsterdam, Netherlands with $10,000 insurace coverage. It cost $3144. Not bad at all.

I was thinking it would be cheaper to sell what you have here and buy a MKIII over there, but that wouldn't be the case. And yes... you're thinking about Amsterdam.

Oh, and sorry that didn't answer your question at all.

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
Yes, I should have mentioned amsterdam. The big thing for me, the cost I've put into my mk3 cant be recovered in a sale. Plus LHD in GB could be fun.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
For some good info on what needs to be done get ahold of some of the guys over in the UK. www.mkiiisupra.net They are a great group of guys and I have gotten 2 of my Supras including my current one from one of the members on there.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Kai;1767050 said:
You'll have no issues importing a US spec into the UK, lax emissions requirements, and you can import just about anything you want :)

Take mkiiisupra.net with a pinch of salt though...can be very cliquey.
Don't know about UK, but in my small country there are several things that will not pass technical inspection. The lights have to be with E marks. Rear blinkers have to be yellow. Rear foglight is a must. As far as to just import a car - no problem. To register it - thats another story here. There were a lot of problems for US car importers/sellers here.

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
how about from canada to US, specifically a rhd jz?

(i know its a long shot, but if anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
RPSil13;1767079 said:
how about from canada to US, specifically a rhd jz?

(i know its a long shot, but if anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated)

I've always wondered this myself... living in Wyoming, you can register damn near anything, but wonder if there are any headaches registering a Canadian car here. Hmm. California, that might be a different story.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hmm, never thought of the rear foglight purpose. I figured it was like an auxiliary reverse light. :p

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Kai;1767312 said:
The only issue you'd run into importing a US or JDM spec car into the UK, is the requirement for rear foglamps, which is an easy to wire issue.
One more thing is the headlight beam. On lhd cars it's more directed to the right. On the rhd cars it's to the left. If i remember corectly US spec car lights don't have any direction. Just straigt. That's an issue in some countries in Europe. We'll a small one. Requires a headlamp replacement. There are some other small things, but nothing hard to overcome.

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
Wow guys, thanks for all the input. From the sounds of it, headlight aim and a rear foglight seem like tiny issues to deal with in the grand scheme of importing, and registering a US spec car overseas. The only other concern I have would be emissions systems. As of now, I can probably pass a tailpipe test, but not the visual here in CA.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Registering is easy. It's a bit harder to pass tech. inspection, wich has different standarts in various countries. In my country the government is trying to force everyone to use newer cars. So tech. inspection is pretty harsh for older cars.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
suprayo;1767711 said:
As far as jdm cars here in the states they have to be 25 years old to be epa exempt. Its a national thing.

Not to sound rude or even be a dick on this one, but have you read the thread at all or just the title? He is wanting to take one overseas from here. If he was wanting to import a foreign one, I would have posted the link to my Import Rules thread.

Also to the OP, if you are in need of a rear fog light, please let me know since mine still has the rear fog light on her from when she spent time in the UK. Kai you remember Bondy's Blue one he had.....I still got it. Still never took the rear lamp off either...lol.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Yeah, i'd go with Stuey's foglamp mod though, doesn't involve installing anything, just re-wiring the rear taillights to support a twin filament lamp.

As for emissions...in the UK, it's only a two speed idle test, and cars registered before 8th August 1992 are exempt from needing a catalytic converter. as long as you're within 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC, you're good to go. NOx isn't even measured.