im officially upset. Spaniard

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
so iim going to puut my machined 2j cams i my 1j last night.. one of the cam position pickup on the intake cam iw broken clean off. they have been sitting in the box he shipped them in until last night.

how important is the center cam pickup? will thw car run without it?

has anyone had this problem? how did you fix it? can i drill it and put a pin in it?

the tab wasnt in the box so i know he knnnew it was broke before he shipped it.

let me kow if you have any other ideas!!

i will upload a picture when i get home. im posting from my phone...

thanks,
Jon

2yoduhJZ

Nov 3, 2008
In a intercooler pipe at 8.5psi
I have met Spaniard before at a local meet here in Florida, very nice guy, never had a problem with him. I picked up a set of 2JZ machined cams from him and installed them with no problem what so ever. I know that the pick-up on the cam itself has nothing to do with the machining process what so ever. I sincerely doubt that its Spaniards fault on this matter, cause his machining had nothing to do with even coming close to the cam position sensor. Remember, these are used cams machined to fit a 1JZ head. It may have been the previous MKIV owner that had a problem with the cam and thats why he sold it to Spaniard to begin with and he didnt see the issue. Furthermore, the camshaft is not spun on the lathe when machining takes place. I know Spaniard has gotten a bad rap, but he has helped me significantly and I believe your blaming the wrong person this time cause I dont see any relationship between the cam position sensor and his machining work. I'm very new to the forums and I dont want to make this post/thread about Spaniard, but just pointing out what I see here.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
2yoduhJZ;1175639 said:
I have met Spaniard before at a local meet here in Florida, very nice guy, never had a problem with him. I picked up a set of 2JZ machined cams from him and installed them with no problem what so ever. I know that the pick-up on the cam itself has nothing to do with the machining process what so ever. I sincerely doubt that its Spaniards fault on this matter, cause his machining had nothing to do with even coming close to the cam position sensor. Remember, these are used cams machined to fit a 1JZ head. It may have been the previous MKIV owner that had a problem with the cam and thats why he sold it to Spaniard to begin with and he didnt see the issue. Furthermore, the camshaft is not spun on the lathe when machining takes place. I know Spaniard has gotten a bad rap, but he has helped me significantly and I believe your blaming the wrong person this time cause I dont see any relationship between the cam position sensor and his machining work. I'm very new to the forums and I dont want to make this post/thread about Spaniard, but just pointing out what I see here.

I think you missed the point.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
You defiantly missed the point. The point being that its fairly obvious that the pickup is missing. yet he machined and sold them anyway... to me of course.

I included a crappy camera phone pic of the cam. the area circled in red is supposed to have a rectangular pickup... it doesnt. boo.

I was wondering if i could just drill the cam and install a dowel pin or something to that nature.

Attachments

• IMAGE_497.jpg
    IMAGE_497.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 169

2yoduhJZ

Nov 3, 2008
In a intercooler pipe at 8.5psi
thesupragod;1175769 said:
You defiantly missed the point. The point being that its fairly obvious that the pickup is missing. yet he machined and sold them anyway... to me of course.

I included a crappy camera phone pic of the cam. the area circled in red is supposed to have a rectangular pickup... it doesnt. boo.

I was wondering if i could just drill the cam and install a dowel pin or something to that nature.

My apologies. But yes, one can be attached successfully for a fair price.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
well, how should i go about it? Should i grind the surface flat... then try to reattach a piece that is exactly like the pickup? or just install a dowel? in the center or offset at the beginning of the rotation?

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
thesupragod;1175899 said:
well, how should i go about it? Should i grind the surface flat... then try to reattach a piece that is exactly like the pickup? or just install a dowel? in the center or offset at the beginning of the rotation?

Man that is something real hard to recomend. I personally don't know how these camshafts are balanced as a little too much or too little weight can throw balance on rotating things off. If the weight is not an issue, then I'd say have a similar amount of metal added/welded on rather than adding a dowel pin which can break off and mess the engine up.
Hopefully somone more well versed in this area can chime in and offer better advice.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
I'm about to do this same fix to a set of cams. you will need to clean the surface very well and then have a professional TIG welder put an ample amount of material on using a Silica Bronze filler rod, then take it to a machine shop and have it machined back into the same dimensions as the stock pickup

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
2yoduhJZ;1175639 said:

2yoduhJZ;1175821 said:
My apologies. But yes, one can be attached successfully for a fair price.

Congratulations!?!?

Now what does your dealings have to do with Thesupragods current dealing? Nothing. The stock market says t best. Past performance is not an indication for future performance. In the end, a business's worth is not how they treat thier customers when things went kosher, it is how they clean up thier fuck ups.

Besy Buy, Target, Walmart, Small mom and pop shops are all measured how they rectify thier messups. Incorrectly machinging or selling parts with missing items is not acceptable and more so if they do not answer or return calls. That is called bullshit.

thesupragod said:
bronze isnt a Ferris metal, the pickup would recognize that?

Bronze is not a FERROUS metal so it will not affect a mangetic fields. Need Iron or Steel in there OR make a chopper wheel and attach it to the front of the cam pulleys. UpgradedSupra did that and can be seen in one of his videos.

Last edited:

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Turns out that the machinist that i took it to is going to drill and tap it, and machine the head of a bolt to match the pickup. And all for only $120! Thanks spaniard your the best!

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
...he should've fixed his mistake, in my opinion anyway, but if I recall correctly he's not in the best of favor with the supra community at the moment...

...again, I could be wrong.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Hey I have a solution maybe ? If you could promise me these will be machined to fit and the only problem is the middle pu and not the back one I could pick them up! Because I had my middle CAS sealed off because my center tap on my fuel rail interfiered with it so if thats the only defect for a fair price ill take them off your hand my setup uses a standalone so i dont use the center signal.

Otherwise I would think they are useless because balancing proper alingment and the possibility this might come off on you inside the engine which would be worse then buying another set for 80-100 because your 1jz long block is prob more like around ~1000

Allthough i dont know if i should even use them with a missing chunk of metal it may throw the balancing off these will rev to 9000rpms after all, wait i take that back 4500 lol cams go half the speed as the crank.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Thanks for the offer, but they are at the machinist's now getting repaired. He guaranteed that they would not come apart, and he is going to re-balance and check the straightness of the cams before i get it back!

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Spaniard has gotten banned permanently.

Ban Date
09-20-2008
Lift Date
Never
Ban Reason
I'm tired of people bitching about you taking thier money and then ignoring them. We don't need people like you. You're a lowlife. We don't need lowlifes.
Banned by
Supracentral

I too have a set of Spaniard cams and I'm having them inspected before they go near my motor Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.