idles rich (need help!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
well i just recently failed emissions and i figured it was due to not bypassing the j-tube with walbro pump and 550 injectors and also venting bov to atmosphere. So yesterday i installed my adjustable fuel pressure regulator and have it set at 25psi with the vacuum on. If i try to set it anything lower than that the car bogs between 1k-2k rpm.

While at idle i have a constant 11.5-low 12 a/f. While cruising i usually have between a 13.8-14.7 a/f. having gone wot yet since its raining.

Now my question is what could be causing this rich of an idle? I have a cracked 3k pipe/tb coupler, but wouldnt that make me rich at wot and not idle?? I boost fine to 14psi and my idle vacuum is at -20.

BTW...i have taken -20% on the maft for idle and even trying taking some more out with the safc but it didnt change.

Fuel mods are: 550cc injectors, aeromotive fpr with j-tube removed, walbro 255 fuel pump, maft, safc

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
koulee said:
Is it throwing any codes? Like a knock sensor code?
code 51....tps...

i unplugged the tps and it quickly shot to 3k rpm...so i know its working...but may need to be checked to see if its in spec.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
bump for this....still have the problem

im gonna change the spark plugs this weekend...im thinking maybe all the fuel is being burned up??

and if i had vacuum leaks i would be running lean and not rich.

I backed out the screw on the afpr all the way and i still was barely up to 13 a/f at idle and i cant drive at that f/p

HELP!

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
btw the tps through a code before i started to idle that rich after all the fuel mods.....this problem basically started overnight

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
robbo185 said:
BTW...i have taken -20% on the maft for idle and even trying taking some more out with the safc but it didnt change.

Fix your TPS before making other tuning adjustments elsewhere. Search, there's plenty of info. out there.

What I did was I nudged the TPS to the left a little, and my code was gone. I then verified its voltage output with my SAFC, (great tip KY Dave, thanks!)U could do the same. After u have resolved that, I would revisit all your other settings, and make sure u're a/f's are safe. Good luck!

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
robbo185 said:

Fix your TPS before making other tuning adjustments elsewhere. Search, there's plenty of info. out there.

What I did was I nudged the TPS to the left a little, and my code was gone. I then verified its voltage output with my SAFC, (great tip KY Dave, thanks!)U could do the same. After u have resolved that, I would revisit all your other settings, and make sure u're a/f's are safe. Good luck!

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
suprashy said:

where can i verify its voltage output with the safc?

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
ok i checked the tps and i got it in spec.

It ran great 14.7-15.4 at idle....then after a bit it just went right back to the rich idle...but the rpms were lower.

also im really starting to think its the o2 sensor...in addition to the wideband i have an autometer narrowband. At idle it just sits in the middle between rich and lean...shouldnt it be bouncing alot more? Would this be a sign that the o2 sensor is bad because its not giving alot of readings?

Last edited:

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
IIRC, from the main menu - Go to "ETC", then "Sensor Ck". With ignition on, (car off), voltage for the TPS should be .5V. If its not, move the TPS until it is. Tighten both TPS screws. U should be good to go! I got mine to .495V, and no codes/probs. so far. (KY DAve taught me this, mad props to you for this bud!)

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
suprashy said:
IIRC, from the main menu - Go to "ETC", then "Sensor Ck". With ignition on, (car off), voltage for the TPS should be .5V. If its not, move the TPS until it is. Tighten both TPS screws. U should be good to go! I got mine to .495V, and no codes/probs. so far. (KY DAve taught me this, mad props to you for this bud!)
yup thats exactly what i did...figured it out on my own lol.....but still runs rich :(

Status
Not open for further replies.