Idle then dies???

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
Okay I've just finished swapping out from my 7m to the 7mgte, it runs fine till it idles and it will slowly die while idleing(about 10-15secs). If i give it and lil gas and hold it, it won't die? I'm using the stock fuel pump from the 7m b/c the guys at Toyota said as long as I'm using stock boost it should be fine any thoughts? I aslo read that the hks ssq bov can cause this, surely and bov can't cause the car to stall? Thanks in advance for any help.

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
rumptis said:
So as long as you keep the gas press down it will run?

Ya as long as put even the slightest pressure on the gas it will stay running, but it seems to be idleing better now that I've driven her a lil more, need to remember that this engine has been sitting somewhere for quite awhile till I got her. Also to the post b4 this I don't know what rpm, b/c my tach doesn't work, its the only guage cluster from n/a, so from what my mech said theres not enough resistance or something along those lines so it doesn't read.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
Have you checked the time?

And does it boost ok? you could have an air leak/boost leak that will make not want to idle.

Also for the tach to work you have to rewire it, there is info on the forum here about that.

Last edited:

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
mkIIIforeverdrifting said:
I aslo read that the hks ssq bov can cause this, surely and bov can't cause the car to stall? Thanks in advance for any help.

yup, a bov venting to atmosphere can cause the car to stall.
have you checked your codes?

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
rumptis said:
Have you checked the time?

And does it boost ok? you could have an air leak/boost leak that will make not want to idle.

Also for the tach to work you have to rewire it, there is info on the forum here about that.

Ya already checked for boost leaks, none, so ya it boosts fine, as far as bov goes, its brand new and seems to be working flawlessly. And if you mean checked the Timing belt, its brand new replaced it while I had the engine out. Also after driving her for a bit, she seemed to idle a little better. I'm also getting the walboro fuel pump to see if that helps, but have quick question to add to post, do I want the 255 or 255 high pressure? Also will be taking it back to Toyota to have them check the tp sense I read that could be cause to and doubt they adjusted it since it was a lil rushed today to get it done.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
wasn't thinking timing belt but timing in general, it can be pretty tough to get aligned back up right.

Doublecheck it all again, I thought I had mine right but it was off a tooth.

I<3Supras

Drft What do u mean drft?
Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
If not the HKS SSQv, Maybe it might be the ISC valve. Does it turn off faster when u turn the steering wheel to put load on the engine? how about when u turn A/C on does it stay on still?

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
Ok still a little lost w/ the bov issue, but I noticed after driving it on the highway now I'm having a constant high pitched noise coming from right side of engine bay as your looking at it(drivers side) It sounds like a high pitched vacum, but it seems to idling a lot better though just i have that really weird noise. Again taking it to shop tomorrow to see if we can't find the problem. Thanks for all the advice and help. Also again of the walboro fuel pumps which one do I need or should get the 255 or the 255 high pressure?

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
I was not aware that there was a high pressure Walbro 255, but our fuels systems do not run all that high of fuel pressure so there would be no need for a high pressure unit.