idle problem after letting off gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hey, I posted a while back about a problem I had w/my supra. . .basically if I am driving down the street or rev the car anything above about 2k RPMs and then just let off the gas the car will die. It runs fine if I keep it going by giving it gas, but if not it will die. I was told a few things to check, the dashpot system being one of them. Well I finally got a chance to get some pics taken and heres what I found - view pic - is this most likely my problem and what is supposed to be on the other side of that VTV?

I'm counting on Jetjock to help me out on this one!!

Thanks guys

Attachments

• suprapic.JPG
    suprapic.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 66

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
What are you looking at?
That yellowish thing in the middle of the picture is the dashpot.
Mine has a rubber line that runs to it from the TB, but nothing coming out the other side.

-Justin

CDA865SUPRA

Oct 15, 2006
Coeur d A'lene
i had the same problem yesterday, come to find out there was a air leak between my air filter and the afm fixed and all is good so you may want to check it.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
With the key in the "ON" position, push the pedal all the way to the floor...the TEMS system should go to full firm, and you will hear them click. That tests the WOT part of the TPS (forgot what it's called). To test the IDL contacts, jumper the diag connector, and lightly press the gas pedal, the check engine light should flash a code 51...that's the quick and dirty way to test the TPS, the right way would be to use a digital multi-meter, and check the resistances...

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
johnathan1 said:
With the key in the "ON" position, push the pedal all the way to the floor...the TEMS system should go to full firm, and you will hear them click. That tests the WOT part of the TPS (forgot what it's called). To test the IDL contacts, jumper the diag connector, and lightly press the gas pedal, the check engine light should flash a code 51...that's the quick and dirty way to test the TPS, the right way would be to use a digital multi-meter, and check the resistances...

OK, my car doesn't have tems but I jumpered the connector, turned the key on and I had a nonstop quick blink of the CEL. . .just kept going. Anyone got a clue on that? Also, I slowly depressed the throttle and somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle I got a 51 code.

So I guess I'm looking at a TPS and maybe something else for the quick blink. Any suggestions?

frank

Jan 2, 2006
BC
Quick blink means no stored codes I believe. I also believe you are normally going to get a code 51 if you depress the throttle with the check connector jumpered.
Mine had the same kind of problem (occasional stalling when the accelerator was let off abruptly, mine's an automatic) but there were other part throttle drivability issues present as well. Mine was a gummed up EGR valve.

Last edited:

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm. . .well can anyone verify either way or give any other suggestions? I really wanna get the supra back on the road but I'm not quite sure if I need to replace the TPS or something else or check something else. . .

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yes quick continuous blinks of the CEL means no stored codes. and yes if you hit the gas pedal in diag mode you will get a code 51.

if you cant get it figured out this weekend im off mon and tues, maybe i can give you a hand.

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
dbsupra90 said:
yes quick continuous blinks of the CEL means no stored codes. and yes if you hit the gas pedal in diag mode you will get a code 51.

if you cant get it figured out this weekend im off mon and tues, maybe i can give you a hand.

thats cool man. . .i'll have to work, but if you are willing to help in the evening I can pull it up in the garage. Shoot me a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.