Idle at 2K RPMS, Oil smells like GAS

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I was on my way this morning to work & i know my Brake Master cylinder was failing because i have to press it twice for it to send pressure & getting off the freeway it started failing EVEN MORE & then the idle shot up to 1500Rpms right after & after i got out of work it shot up to 2K & its gone to 2100rpms so far. The oil smells like gas & i know brake booster is good. any ideas? :nono: & I don't think i have a BHG. Thanks in advance for any help. I think an injector is spraying more gas than it should or Idle solenoid or may be computer? THERE ARE NO ENGINE CODES.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
hvyman;1655160 said:
Could be that or timing.

Well my old man :)bowdown:)took a look & it was the throttle body, he adjusted here & there & VIOLA! Idle at 700 RPMS & he got the timing pistol like tool & timed it. With 15+++ years of tech experience i don't argue with him. Hes a real "Grumpy Old Man" type So i really don't want to bother him cuz he generally ignores my azz so thats why i posted & he also changed the Brake master cylinder with one i bought from an SM member & he bled it & problem solved (Rebuilt ones suk, i tried out one from Napa & one from Oreilly & they both failed) & he said that the oil smelling like gas could be caused by an injector leaking or a sensor misleading the cold start injector & that its running rich & that is why my gas mileage sucks. 13 MPG..

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

bioskyline;1655159 said:
id say its the idle control, or one bad ass vac leak

Wasn't a Vac Leak, it was throttle body. ::dunce::

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There's nothing to adjust on the throttle body besides the throttle position sensor. If you change anything else, you're doing it wrong...

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Poodles;1655216 said:
There's nothing to adjust on the throttle body besides the throttle position sensor. If you change anything else, you're doing it wrong...

The throttle body's plate wasn't sitting at the normal resting point it couldn't go all the way to the resting point because of some rests (something like that) there are couple of studs & nuts & he moved that so that it sits on the spot its suppose to sit. the previous owner had messed with it, & believe this because the car had been half assed, lose bolts everywhere, a bunch of parts not right, missing parts, etc.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Gota7MGTE;1655345 said:
Well the thread isn't really about any vac leaks. its about the oil & dipstick smelling like gas/oil

Oh? Man, I'm always making that mistake. See, I like to ramble. I see a thread going great and I just try to derail it as quickly as possible. Unfortunately I got to this thread kind of late so it's still on track. Thanks for your clarification though.

Oh, wait, I'm lying.. I was simply discrediting a previous poster's suggestion.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
yeah i forgot, to use to working on map systems, remind me not to post when drunk..... ANYWAYS

as for oil smelling like gas, sounds like fuel is seeping past the rings into the block. its efi so that eliminated the fuel pump being shot.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
bioskyline;1655383 said:
yeah i forgot, to use to working on map systems, remind me not to post when drunk..... ANYWAYS

as for oil smelling like gas, sounds like fuel is seeping past the rings into the block. its efi so that eliminated the fuel pump being shot.

Fuel injector rings? Could be fuel injectors themselves? & im going to check the fuel pump cause i haven't even done that so far. 1100+ miles on a rebuilt engine. 5MM off the block & stock head & Felpro head gasket. NO BHG YET... i tell ya, the old man knows what he does. Hes currently swapping his transmission of a 99 Intrepid, YEAH its the 2.7L with about 40K+ miles on rebuilt engine w/ slightly damaged crank & block (burns oil), it still hasn't blown, only the trans differential went out. ITS A MIRACLE. IDK how he duz it. :crazy1:

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
what i mean by fuel pump is on carbed motors the pump is run off the camshaft. when the seal inside goes, the pump will fill the crank with gas.

i dont think its the injectors, as theres no way it can mix with oil short of the drip of oil from old stem seals, unless you got a cracked head. im staring at a head on my desk and i dont see it being possible, the o rings would make the whole bay smell of gas, but not the oil.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Gota7MGTE;1655432 said:
Fuel injector rings? Could be fuel injectors themselves? & im going to check the fuel pump cause i haven't even done that so far. 1100+ miles on a rebuilt engine. 5MM off the block & stock head & Felpro head gasket. NO BHG YET... i tell ya, the old man knows what he does. Hes currently swapping his transmission of a 99 Intrepid, YEAH its the 2.7L with about 40K+ miles on rebuilt engine w/ slightly damaged crank & block (burns oil), it still hasn't blown, only the trans differential went out. ITS A MIRACLE. IDK how he duz it. :crazy1:

Bioskyline was implying that fuel may be seeping past the piston rings.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
whitemike;1655449 said:
Bioskyline was implying that fuel may be seeping past the piston rings.

How?? Weve installed NEW Clevite pistons & New Piston Rings. Well after 1100+ miles not so new... but It doesn't make sense. we did what TSRM says & IM NOT BURNING OIL. Just HOW?? o.o

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
whitemike;1655477 said:
I was just clarifying what he said, it wasn't my suggestion. Was the block honed?

Yes & thank you for clarifying & YES, my old man did that, he got the drill machine & the hone with 3 legs & VROOM away! lol

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Poodles;1655505 said:
How much has it been driven?

well when we first started it up we allowed it to just idle for 3+ hours & ran it 100 miles? After that changed the oil, & my old man been ranting about changing the oil again but he wants oil from the dealership he works at (Mopar i believe) & now i have 1100+ miles & he still hasn't bought any oil (only 12 bucks since he works there & id pay him) & i keep telling him but OH WELL. Time to go to Toyota & get some oil o_O AND NOW HE EVEN TELLS ME its probably all the engine degrease getting off & causing a simulated gas smell -_-