Ideal Setup For the Supra

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Would would you consider, the ideal all-around sound system.

Im a fan of pioneer, so i would have pioneer deck. I would run either mb quarts or eclispe components for mids and highs.This is where it gets tricky, the subs. You can have two 8's,10's,12's or 15's.In this scenerio i feel the 15's would be over kill. One reason too heavy.Another the sub is big and "laggy" so if u listen to fast music with kick drum style bass your 15 inch woofer will be sluggish.

Me personally i like the bass of 12'driver,over 10'driver. i would choose 1 12 inch woofer. Propobly, a Resonant Engineering 12,even tho there customer service is fubar,there subs are top notch.A close second would be this small company Called audiocue, ive neverheard them,but them same like a well built sub (www.audiocue.com).* I tried to find there webpage, they may have went under*

To Power everything i would run a stout battery under the hood.I own a kinetik 1400, the pros love these battereys, and i love it too so i will stick with them(www.kinetikaudio.com).For the alternator i would run a 150+ amp alternator.For an amplifier, this is where it gets tricky. You can run 1 or 2 amps.Todays technology, they produce some real nice 5 channel amps.( 4 channel plus 1 sub channel).Or you can do the small 4 channel amp, along with a second class d amp.I would personally go with some Like this Hifonics amp(http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/amps_zeus.html).

I would prolly run 1/0 guage with approprate fusing for the amp, and check the voltage with a multimeter under full volume to determine if i should add a capKiller( im just not a fan of capacitors).At this point if you need that extra tuning capability u can always buy a digital eq, but i would calling quites here.Most of the newer highend cd/dvd players have lots of options to play with.

So tell me what you have in mind.Discuss

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
Another option if you want to keep weight down but also have a lot of woofer cone size for deep bass.... JL audio makes a 13w0 or something. It's a 13" subwoofer, that runs in very small sealed enclosures and has decent output, small weight and shallow mounting depth. I think I may end up going with a single 13" woofer, which will weigh much less then a pair of 12s, and will have the deepthroat sound of the 15 but not be too sloppy and more punchy like a 12.

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
yeah- i didnt like the sound 15"s give when i played a fast song, the bass sounds sluggish with the beat.

so when i tried 2 memphis 12"s, it had the thickness i wanted at the moment.

eventually i ended up adding a pair of 8" tubes and further divided the midbass/lowbass with the crossovers.

that helped me get a broad bottom end for the voice. the low bass was punchier. it didnt have to play as many hi-bass notes.

(i know... more pieces-more distortion)
it sounded clean when i tuned it.

after a while i wished idda kept 15" and just designed a tunable timedelay to give the bass a few needed milliseconds to catchup.
(didnt clarion make a time delayed surround processor?)

Last edited:

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Ideal setup? As in what I plan to purchase, or what I WANT? lol

WANT:
Eclipse AVN5500 H/U or maybe even a Nakamichi head...
2 Nakamichi 6 1/2 component sets in front soundstage only
2JL13w7's or even RE's
Amps--Undecided. If I go JL, 1000/1's
Fiberglass enclosure from front of targa holder to rear of front seats, fiberglass kicks, fiberglass dash, and center console.

PLAN TO PURCHASE:
Alpine 9830 (already have)
Infinity Kappa 12" DVC (older model with CMMD cone) already have
Alpine MD-350
Fiberglass Enclosure
Speakers: Undecided. Everything I like, is way too expensive. Probably a set of Infinity Kappa Perfect components in the front, no rear fill.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
WeDgE said:
Bigger drivers are "laggy"? Hehehe...that's not true at all. :D
Sure it is. You can't tell me that 2 15 inch subs are gonna keep up with 2 8 inch subs on a fast electronic song. Unless you were sarcastic.......

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Im using a cheap kenwood deck for now. I plan on getting a really nice pioneer.

For speakers I have 4" infinities all around (Pre 89 setup)

I plan on making a FG mold for the rear behind the backseats with (2) 8" subs and a decenct amp. I might also put in two 6X5"s in back somewhere.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
s383mmber1 said:
Sure it is. You can't tell me that 2 15 inch subs are gonna keep up with 2 8 inch subs on a fast electronic song. Unless you were sarcastic.......

Sure they will. It's all in the install.

Now, if it were the mid-80's, then you'd have a point...but today's motor technology negates the whole "bigger drivers are 'slower'" mentality.

If ya don't believe me:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/WooferSpeed.pdf

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Here is my setup. I've got a kenwood head unit(don't remember the model, but it doesn't matter) I've got an alpine V12 4(100X4) channel amp running 6.5 alpine type R components in the front, with 5.25 alpine type r components in the rear. I'm running an alpine type R sub in a large bandpass in the hatch with ports facing rear of car. That is run by an alpine v12 2 channel bridged(550 watts)

I think it sounds pretty damn nice on any type of music.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
I wish I had the drive to get mine installed... :-\

Here's what's waiting to go in:

Alpine DVA-9860
Alpine H700
Phoenix Gold Tantrum 600.4
Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1
BG Neo3 Planar Tweeters (A-pillars)
Peerless Exclusive 7"s (Kickpanels)
Stereo Integrity Mag D2 12" (Sparetire well)

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
WeDgE said:
Sure they will. It's all in the install.

Now, if it were the mid-80's, then you'd have a point...but today's motor technology negates the whole "bigger drivers are 'slower'" mentality.

If ya don't believe me:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/WooferSpeed.pdf
eh, you may be right, im not a audio guy in the least! But i probably couln't stand 15'' subwoffers base. I have an 8 in my room without any amp and i think its alittle too much.

Ill stick with jsut speakers!

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
yes indeed. lotsa new materials out there. titanium was unheard/unthought of in woofers (not so long) ago. maybe cuz ribbon tweeters sounded mettalic then

imo- if ya got too much bass, turn down the bass on the EQ.

bigger speakers (could equal) bigger sound. (unless your Mr. BOSE i guess)

one of my favorite urei systems used a horn, 15" mids, 15"woofer, and was paired with 18" bandpass subs.
AWESOME broad sound and NO LAG IN THE BASS either. 1980's technology!

just a little info- do what ya feel is good for ya.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I just finished my little setup today... It's just a temporary thing for now untill I get my car all fixed up (coolant/maybe bhg/valve cover gasket issues)... right now this is what i'm running

Sony CDX-GT500 head unit - NEW
Sony XM-1252GTR amp - NEW
1 12" JL w0 4-ohm... - NEW
2 4" components in the front, probably stock ones... - WAS IN THE CAR ALREADY
2 5.25" RCA components in the back - NEW (just dropped in, so I guess old owner swapped in some 92 speaker pods, my car is an 88!)
and an old XM-3020 amp under the passenger seat... powering rear speakers - ALREADY IN THE CAR

It's a mix of gear, sounds good for now... those JL w0's are amazingly effecient and are pretty loud and sound quite clean for only 125w RMS