I think I blew my Headgasket...

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Yea, driving on the interstate, I look in my rearview to see if i can merge, and I noticed that some smoke was coming out of the exhaust. A few miles later, my low coolant light comes on, and right when I pull off the interstate, I begin to overheat. I shut it off and coasted to the nearest parking lot and let it sit. I popped the hood and steam was definitely coming from the head. Now I am sure that I have a blown head gasket, as the car (as far as I know) has its stock head gasket at 170,000 miles, but others seem to think otherwise. There is no coolant at all in the oil whatsoever, but how should I go about checking for a BHG? I don't want to buy a tester, etc. either.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Rent the tester.

But I'd be looking for leaks first as you generally won't have steam coming out from anywhere but the overflow if it's a BHG. Sounds more like you popped a hose, though that overheat could have caused a BHG.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
If you don't want to bother testing your own vehicle to see what's wrong then why bother asking us what we think you should do? Best way to know for sure is to use a test kit, but you've already ruled that out for some unfathomable reason.

Hell, just go with your WAG and replace the HG. Nothing lost but money and time.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
mirage83;1770979 said:
If you don't want to bother testing your own vehicle to see what's wrong then why bother asking us what we think you should do? Best way to know for sure is to use a test kit, but you've already ruled that out for some unfathomable reason.

Hell, just go with your WAG and replace the HG. Nothing lost but money and time.

Your an idiot, I asked if there was another way of testing for BHG other than the tester, I am not planning on taking shortcuts or anything, I just asked a simple fucking question. I was unaware that you could rent the tester and you guys just jump to conclusions that I am some sort of idiot looking to do things just to do them. You think I want a blown head gasket? If I ask a question just answer it, I know that the best way to do it is with the tester, but is there alternatives? I didn't think I was speaking Spanish. I am not an idiot, I know my way around a car, but, like other people, I like more than one persons opinion before I dive into something, just peace of mind knowing that I am doing it right the first time.

Poodles;1770976 said:
Rent the tester.

But I'd be looking for leaks first as you generally won't have steam coming out from anywhere but the overflow if it's a BHG. Sounds more like you popped a hose, though that overheat could have caused a BHG.

I am sincerely hoping that is all that happened, but as I am in college right now, and away from the car, I cannot diagnose it for at least a few weeks.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Not an idiot, just openly wondering at the reasoning behind not wanting to test your Sup. Didn't make a lot of sense given that your pic shows a car you've obviously taken care of.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
there are plenty or ways o test but non as accurate as getting a tester.

Like checking the Dipstick or oil cap for milky substance or if it smells like water/coolant got in the oil.

check the coolant for oil.

But leak down test is the best and checking the coolant for exhaust gases

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
mirage83;1771143 said:
Not an idiot, just openly wondering at the reasoning behind not wanting to test your Sup. Didn't make a lot of sense given that your pic shows a car you've obviously taken care of.

I apologize for getting upset with you, I tend to get a little touchy about my car. And thank you for the compliments on my Supra. It's appreciated.

As for checking oil, I did that and it's all nice and clear, just as it should be (changed oil last weekend). My hopes are high that I find a blown heater hose at the worst. Either way, it's parked for the winter now and it's time to start working on it.

arashi

Aug 17, 2011
AL
northdakotakid;1771011 said:
If I ask a question just answer it, I know that the best way to do it is with the tester, but is there alternatives? I didn't think I was speaking Spanish.

:thumbup:

sorry for trolling, but im with you on people going straight to bashing people rather then answering the question. its so fucking annoying. if you don't have anything to worth contributing don't say a fucking thing....

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Leakdown test showed my BHG when I had one clear as day (radiator started overflowing when I pumped air into cylinders 5 and 6). The block tester didn't show a thing.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
definitely do a leak down test. your uncle in fargo has a shop...he should have a leakdown tester.... yes?.

do you still have your parts car? i wrecked my car and need parts (my front suspension is bent)

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
arashi;1771177 said:
:thumbup:

sorry for trolling, but im with you on people going straight to bashing people rather then answering the question. its so fucking annoying. if you don't have anything to worth contributing don't say a fucking thing....

Contradicting yourself there? You just posted to say something that had no help to the thread at all......heres your cookie now be on your way.

OP, which side of the head was the steam coming from? If it is on the intake side, check the coolant line under the intake. It start right near the back of the motor about 3 inches above the starter.Runs up to the throttle body then back down to right underneath the lower intake plenum.

If on the turbo side (if turbo) there is a 90* hose that you can check, its about 4 inches under the CPS. It is a fucking pain, but worth checking. Also, there is another 90* hose off the back of the head you can check as well...

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
fixitman04;1771293 said:
definitely do a leak down test. your uncle in fargo has a shop...he should have a leakdown tester.... yes?.

do you still have your parts car? i wrecked my car and need parts (my front suspension is bent)

He definitely should, I have no idea why I wasn't thinking of that, idiot move there.

I do still have the parts car yes, what do you need? I have it in my garage in Mayville right now.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Well I finally got time to actually look at the supra. Good news is its not a bhg, I have a bad hose on the back of the engine. It pukes coolant out there. I'm so relieved that's all it is.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
90* at the back of the head? Have fun changing that one if it is, it's a PITA! :icon_razz It's still very doable though. None the less hope it all goes smoothly and the car is back up and running in no time :)