I PUT A BUMPER ON A BIG SINGLE MKIV!!!!

jmoneydtb

Old Skool Kool Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
...until he started spinning...:3d_frown:

Went down to Mobile this weekend and put a new timing belt on my baby at Bill's (blksupratt) shop. We also shimmed my wg in hopes of getting it to stop bleeding off boost, since I had been hitting 8 and falling to 6~ after about 42-4300. We also found out the timing was out a tooth, so we fixed that as well.

Our goal was to get my car to the track in Irvington (1/8) for the first time, but by the time we were finished it was getting kinda late and the fog was a bit thick. So we call the track and the owner tells us that they are open, but anything that has any umph to it at all is just spinning all the way down. I didn't want to run a crappy time so we just said screw it and cruised out to find anyone hanging out.

On the way back to his house we pull onto a 5 lane road and he puts down the throttle in his 94 (t04r/th400) and spins and slides. I mat it and hit the limiter throw it second and spin and slide. A few seconds after wondering what boost I hit, since I was a bit too busy to look, Bill moves over into the right lane and his rpm's drop........I knew he was giving me a full on "no balls" call out. I come up beside him and ask my passenger to watch the boost gauge for me. I pull it to 2nd at about 4500~, he downshifts to 2nd and starts to brake boost. We both mat it and I immedately pull about a bumper on him, I throw it in third and all I can here is a very pissed off 2jz and 275/45/17 street tires begging for mercy as Bill pulls about a half a car on me. He then let off to keep from hitting me.

I ask my passenger how much boost I hit and they reply, "10." I reply, "10?! HELL YEAH!" At the next turn we make I put it in third and mat it and look down to see 10psi at around 4500. :D

Moral of the story: I now hit 10psi!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Does Bill know we now have a MKIV section. Tell him to get off that lame ass site and get over here to stay!

Oh yeah! There's no way in hell I would have ever been able to do that with my old Supe against his car. Very impressive! I knew you would take good care of it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The only thing I hit at 2600 is..........nothing. I don't hit anything until 3500, but then it hits pretty hard. (well for a 1j that is)

Good job on at least taking the time to fix your problems and making your car run better.

jmoneydtb

Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
Iwant: Hehe, yeah....well, I'm sure I hit it a lot lower than that, that was just when I looked down. I know it would hit 8 by about 2900 previously. I have a BIC DDP, BIC 3" test pipe, EBAY catback, and ARP headstuds lined up already for $450. My stock bolts where retorqued by FT before I bought the car so that's why 10psi doesn't really scare me too bad, but I really don't want to go too much higher without those studs at least. I also have my eye on the TITAN MHG, I just want to get some of the small issues taken care of before I jump into modding a lot.

EDIT:
Thanks Jay! :D You may not hit anything at 2600, but from what I heard, there is a Porsche owner in Chicago still wondering what in the hell hit him!

Last edited:

blksupratt

Aug 28, 2007
theodore, al
I say we need to try it again on a dry night and see how that goes. dang street tires suck period but when it's wet I can do some nice drifting,lol. I had to let out because it was trying to come around more and more and I didn't want the back end to slap your car or anything like that. Just let me know when you are ready for round 2,lol. it was fun and I am glad your car is running much better now, and that you don't have to worry about the timing belt breaking and hurting your motor. Hopefully next time we will be able to get to the track and see if we can get some decent numbers.

Bill

jmoneydtb

Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
Yeah, disappointed that we didn't get to the track, but at least I got 1 run in. I actually tried to run an 05 stang on the way back up here. We were in a 65 zone, they came past me real slow, I eased into it and blew off next to them. I slowed up to wait on them and they stayed just behind me. I even slowed up to like 50 and they wouldnt come up next to me.

jmoneydtb

Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
Justin727 said:
I'll have to come cruise out to mobile one night when the rest of the crowd goes out that way

Come on over! As long as it's a weekend that I'm able to come down, lol! Need to drag Noah along with ya. :D