i need to make a quick decision::: help

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
should i buy a manual rack and fix my nonworking power steering by getting a manual rack for 170 shipped. the ebay listing ends in 2 hours

or by a drill press so i can finish my ffim (obviously the oem manifold works fine).

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
why not just fix your power steering.

Your going to need more than just the manual rack to install that.

Reman racks are cheap too.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
how much do remanufactured racks cost.

i put a junkyard pwr steering pump in thinking that was my problem and it didnt fix anything. new hoses (which werent cheap),
the last thing i would do is a new rack. but i really dont even want to risk the money of pwr steering.

where do you get rebuilt racks from.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

i think im going to stick with the manual rack since i've seen many people having pwr steering problems and replace practically everything and still not fix the problem.
this way i spend the money and it gets fixed. with a little extra work of course.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What is the problem? Whines? Is the resivour screen clean? People who replace the whole system and still have problems either are just throwing parts or they didnt replace the entire system and left the problem there,

If you do go manual you still need tie rods and a custom intermediate shaft and mounts. It is not a bolt on affair.

What year is the car?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
^This. My system needed a reservoir ($15 shipped) and a used pump ($45 shipped).

My problem was whining caused by the screen being blocked and starving the pump. It eventually damaged the pump, but like I listed, they're not too expensive. Fairly common problem on turbo cars- their reservoir screens are hard to clean and harder to see. (IMO)

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I remember when I used to play parts roulette also. I did it with the power steering on my previous turbo supra. The pump had a whine and the steering was no longer assisted. I replaced the pump twice and and the rack once. It turned out to be the fluid reservoir had clogged and starved the pump, then damaged it.

After reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that it's a fairly common problem, and I suggest you do the same.

Edit: I just realized that you might think I meant to go replace the res and see if it'll solve you're problem. I meant CHECK to see if it's clogged and replace IF necessary, 'cause that's how you diagnose a problem.

I've also just realized that there's a good chance you went ahead and bought the manual rack huh.

Last edited:

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
ok sorry it took me so long to get on here.

its an 88. i am now going to check the res. if that is the problem i will be so happy. the junkyard pump is off of a 90 and i've only driven it once with that on and it didnt fix anything. so ill check that upper tank reservoir.
thanks for all the posts and ideas. im going to go do it right now. haha.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
personaly i really like manual steering especially when you have a good rack. i had a flaming river rack in my foxbody mustand and loved it. i heard people were makin them work in supras? id go that rought personally. You can pick up a little power from not havin a power steering pump as well.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not really enough power to notice.

Did you bleed the system properly? Need to go to lock then hold for 5 sec then to the other lock and hold for 5 sec. and back over and over to get all the air out of the system. Its not just a matter of fill and go drive.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
no i didnt do that when i put the new hose in. probably should've.
so i took the reservoir out and cleaned it up. there was a bunch of gunk inside of it. i cleaned it out pretty good.
also i went to put my intake manifold back in... this is where i found a lot of problems that i inherited upon getting the car.
there are many vacuum hoses unhooked. i traced some back and one of them was going in front of the block in between the pulleys/belts and the block.
it goes straight to the power steering pump. that hose is unhooked underneath the intake manifold. i am trying to figure out where it is supposed to hook up.
the previous guy had it all mangled up. i went on alldatapro to see the vacuum diagram but it was garbage. not really any help there.

i think half of the stuff is unhooked cause there is no egr stuff. and a lot of other stuff is deleted too.

(on a happier note, i started welding up my intake manifold. 1/2 inch aluminum plate to some thin tubing. it took some getting used to. cant wait for it to be done)

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
p1716698_1.jpg

Hopefully this will help

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
yeah my 9 inch fronts with potenza'a arent easy to turn. i am all for fixing the power steering as long as i dont have to dump a whole bunch of money back in and for only mediocre results

thanks for that diagram. that is way useful.

on that power steering valve only one side is hooked up. your diagram doesnt say where the other side goes.