I need some 7m-gte engine build advice

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
I have an engine that bent a rod, however I have another block that was in working condition before it got handled by a shop and seperated from the head(don't ask). I use my supra as daily trasportation so I am in need of fixing it. My plan is to get my old block and use my working head from the broken engine. I have a few questions. One is that, is there anything I need to look out for as far as the timing belt goes? I mean as far is that is concerned should I just follow the TSRM? Also for the headgasket, do I really need to find out what MM size I need to use? Say if the issue is the valve clearence, what are the consequences if I were to just put the thickest head gasket that HKS makes, will that effect or harm it in anyway besides raiseing compression? I am doing this as quick as possible and learning as I go and am open to what you guys have to say since you guys have helped me alot in the past, and I thank you all. I am probably going to do the front and rear seals on the engine since it is out as well as the oil pan. On a side note i know this car is expensive but i like it and i am sticking to it lol.

89 turbo targa supra 5spd

-Steve Z

P.S. I know I don't know that much but thanks for dealing with me.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
As for the head gasket questions, here's a few things you need to follow.

1.) If you're using a metal head gasket, get both the bock and head resurfaced. It needs to be incredibly smooth or it will not seal properly. Head gasket manufacturers will be able to give you an RA spec that you can pass on to the machine shop.

2.) When you get your block machined, make sure it's done with the front timing case bolted on to the block. If not, it will stick up and stop the head from clamping down all the way.

3.) Head gasket size (in mm) = Amount milled off block + amount milled off head + 1.3 (the size of the stock gasket). There's a sticky for head gasket size selection, here's a link:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97552-Head-Gasket-thickness-selection

Just make sure you have one that's a big enough bore if it's an overbored engine. It's usually not a problem as they typically make the gaskets oversized on the bore already, but something to make sure of. Also, if you go thicker you will lower compression. If you go thinner it will raise it. Head gasket has nothing to do with valve clearances.

If you're going to be doing seals and gaskets, just get a kit to do everything. Toyota gaskets are preferred all around but are an absolute must for a few things (EGR cooler plate for sure, I'm sure others can tell you about more). Replace the valve seals (with viton ones preferrably) while it's apart, cheap to do now.

Also, do all the coolant lines. I did the ones that just looked bad and ended up replacing two more (that decided to literally explode) shortly after the build that had looked fine.

Timing belt can be done as per instructions in the TSRM.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
What he said.

Especially #2! i forgot to do that...ugh pain in the ass.

If you not going with a MHG(which you should while you have the opportunity) make sure to follow the TSRM on how to replace HG but be sure to torque the stock HG to 75ft/lbs

also while your at it. Check the water pump and all you coolant hoses

Here is the TSRM aka...supra bible. Read it, love it, live it
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Nick M;1718990 said:
The engine is non interfernce. You would need to take more off the deck that Toyota allows to be an issue.

Hehe, here I thought he was talking about clearances for shims in the valvetrain. That makes a lot more sense now. You have to take off a lot of material and/or stick some pretty big cams in before the valves can start making friends with the pistons.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Thanks guys its a really big help. I will ask more questions within the next 1-3 months. Like where to get and what to use i am going to buy the best stuff I can buy because I don't want to do this again atleast for another 5 years by then I should be almost done with my transfering colleges and going to a big boy one hehehe. Thanks again guys!

-Steve Z

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Hey, guys so we are getting the game plan and place to do the engine job at. I would like to know where would be a good place to get the gasket set for the engine (thinking toyota) and the timing belt (toyota) Just to make sure.

-Steve Z

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Hey guys, will the gasket set from JSC speed suffice? http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Toy...Gasket_Kits_for_87_92_Toyota_Supra_Turbo.html

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

it seems that I am procrastinating but like all engine blow outs it was unexpected so I don't have alot of money, working only part time and going to college but now that summer is in I have time and I am slowly making money with my $8 job

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its only top end. Driftmotion sells a complete gasket kit for a 100 then you just need to find a mhg.

You can get a timing belt cheap at rock auto. The will also have all the hoses and most anything else in stock form for really cheap. I tend to stay with gates and felpro when i order from there,

Also get ngk vpower copper spark plugs,. there less than 2$ a plug.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. Coppers are better for boost. Iridiums just last longer. There ok for lower boost levels and low hp but after that you will start getting spark blow out, and there a pain in the ass to gap.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Perfect! Thanks hvyman!

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Everything is coming together nicely and the build will be underway! Pics perhaps?

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Ran into a snag with the old engine i have. I used a an electric impact to take off the nut for the underdrive pulley. It won't budge. Do i need a special tool and has anyone ran into this problem?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Try a gun that runs on air with a bit more torque. Electric impacts are nice and convenient, but most are pretty useless when it comes to breaking bolts/nuts that are really snug. Most (not all, but I'd say 90%) electrics are rated to only ~100 - 150 ft/lbs where as most air ones are in excess of 400 ft/lbs.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Well the build turned into a flop due to my uncles car getting broken into and now my car is back home. I barely have any more only 500 so far by next month I should about 1500. Debateing on getting rid of the supra. Unless someone reputable has a an engine that the big underdrive pulley bolt is off for 7m-gte perferably 89 or 90 or if someone has a good spare engine and I'm talking good so that way I'll buy it a decent price. Thats my only option otherwise its bye bye supra.