I need quicker spool (1JZ) Ideas??

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jay, remember the basics. You want air to flow in and out as fast as possible, correct?

Have you ported your head lately? ;) Best money I've spent in laying ground work for making this a fast car...

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
te72;1905817 said:
Jay, remember the basics. You want air to flow in and out as fast as possible, correct?

Have you ported your head lately? ;) Best money I've spent in laying ground work for making this a fast car...

pfft who needs that fancy shit, just get a bigger turbo

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
lol @ boost monger... on porting... don't forget to get your manifolds ported/port matched... also I noticed that my MP T70..... the exhaust side where it mates tot he flange... didn't really match up very well... could be a potential for a lot of turbulence.... ALSO it would be a good investment to get a 3.5" downpipe to match your cat-back if you haven't done that already.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I ported my 2j head and helped 525gte port his 1j head, these heads might make good power, but both the intake and exhaust can use alot of work, especially around the bowl area and short side radius.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
BoostMonger;1905861 said:
pfft who needs that fancy shit, just get a bigger turbo

BoostMonger;1905875 said:
I hope you guys realize my comment to brad was very sarcastic :rolleyes:
Haha, I knew what you were getting at. For what it's worth, my porting job was worth about 40hp (combined with BC264 cams) over a stock head on stock turbos. I can't WAIT to see what this thing does with a proper turbo. :D

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
te72;1906565 said:
Haha, I knew what you were getting at. For what it's worth, my porting job was worth about 40hp (combined with BC264 cams) over a stock head on stock turbos. I can't WAIT to see what this thing does with a proper turbo. :D

It would be nice, it's amazing how much a port job can change. It wakes little motorcycle engines right up. But I'm not pulling my head off just for that. If I ever have to, damn straight it'll get cleaned up.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
BoostMonger;1906573 said:
It would be nice, it's amazing how much a port job can change. It wakes little motorcycle engines right up. But I'm not pulling my head off just for that. If I ever have to, damn straight it'll get cleaned up.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

my machine shop told me not to port the 1J heads, only polish. He said porting it out will take the flow out of efficency range

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jayhall;1907287 said:
my machine shop told me not to port the 1J heads, only polish. He said porting it out will take the flow out of efficency range
Maybe this will change your mind?

p1909309_1.jpg

320rwhp at ~12psi. Stock intake, only mods were a 3" y-pipe and exhaust, the cams, and the porting. Even still had the silencer in the exhaust. And it was only run to ~6300 by the dyno operator for some reason.

What do most 1j's lay down at 12psi? Around 280-300rwhp?

For what it is worth, I start spooling the twins around 2000rpm at 6500' elevation. Around 2000', it's hard to tell since it happens so quickly. I'm a believer. :)

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Jayhall;1907287 said:

Get a better machine shop lol.... a Ported head will increase your air flow & depending on how aggresive you might loose air velocity but your top-end will increase..