I know there are many "#" threads but..

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Nothing wrong with a 7M. It's a hell of a powerplant.

It's just looked down on because it IS simply an older designed engine, and 90% of young kids that get their hands on them blow them because of the low torque spec rating on the headgaskets.

Unlike the 1JZ/2JZ, Which come with a revamped oiling system, Yamaha designed head and coming stock with a metal compound headgasket.

Yes, I was previously in the Nissan/Nismo/Infinity scene...Cool...But the community and support is nothing like us Supra owners...
In my eyes, the motor makes the car what it is...so you may have a 240, but it's only alive and breathing because of Toyota. :biglaugh:

Jeff

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Boost Lee;1082930 said:

It's just looked down on because it IS simply an older designed engine, and 90% of young kids that get their hands on them blow them because of the low torque spec rating on the headgaskets.

Unlike the 1JZ/2JZ, Which come with a revamped oiling system, Yamaha designed head and coming stock with a metal compound headgasket.

Yes, I was previously in the Nissan/Nismo/Infinity scene...Cool...But the community and support is nothing like us Supra owners...
In my eyes, the motor makes the car what it is...so you may have a 240, but it's only alive and breathing because of Toyota. :biglaugh:

Jeff

Well said...:thumbup:

MT Photography

Local Photog.
May 5, 2008
Wilmington, NC
^ Indeed.

I have a ToySan I suppose, haha. That might be my license plate now that I think about it...Taking a weekend trip VERY soon to pick the car up, I can't wait.

One thing I want to question about is reliability issues.

It's a pretty low mileage motor, but keep in mind it is a single turbo conversion also. No other mods except for the GT35R and other stuff like LSD/Clutch/etc;...

Should I be worrying about reliability at all? I'd really not like to be randomly cruising and blow a HG or something.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Boost Lee;1082930 said:

Jeff

very well said.. I too came from the Nissan side of things and its infinitely better on the Toyota side of things.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
MT Photography;1083378 said:
Now I guess the only problem is a nice motor in a cheap car, ha.

I guess I can keep thinking about that power/weight ratio though, hah.

LOL! :biglaugh:

I'd certainly rather have a nice motor in a cheap car than a cheap motor in a nice car.

As for worrying about "blowing a headgasket"...This was just a common thing with the 7M motors.
I hate to admit it, but most people that do the 1JZ swap do it for one big reason.
They're known for that "out of the box" reliability.

When you get the car, don't forget to post some pictures.
It may not be all-Toyota, but it doesn't matter....
You're still in the family now. Just, maybe a cousin or something. :biglaugh:

Jeff

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
MT Photography;1082153 said:
From what I hear, the 440's(?) from the MKIV drop right in, and that should be good for at least 20lbs, but I'm wondering about the integrity of the motor then..
JDM 2JZ injectors are 440cc, and are drop-in, yes. USDM 2JZ injectors are 550cc, and drop into the rail, but require some injector resistors, and slight modifications to the connectors. Alternatively, Denso makes drop-in replacements up to 800cc. www.horsepowerfreaks.com sells them.

I wouldn't even bother worrying about the motor internally until you start pushing over 700whp. The JZ motors are overbuilt to an extreme.

MT Photography;1083081 said:
Should I be worrying about reliability at all? I'd really not like to be randomly cruising and blow a HG or something.
The motor comes stock with a multi-layer steel head gasket. You're not going to blow that without a serious amount of effort.

rtrdpenguin;1082837 said:
Except a Toyota 22RE =)
Don't get me started on 22Rs. Holy crap, what a love/hate motor.

SUPRARICE87

Apr 3, 2008
PHILLY
THE ONLY THING i WOULD WORRY ABOUT IS THE FUEL PUMP. 255 WARBRO IT!!!! THEN i would sleep better. if your running that nissan one...i would look into it. it might not flow enough. but i don't know much about those kids:nono:

SUPRARICE87

Apr 3, 2008
PHILLY
:icon_bigg YOUR FINE

IF YOUR PARONOID GET A WIDEBAND THEN YOU CAN FIND OUT HOW FAR YOU CAN BOOST UNTIL YOU REACH THE DANGER ZONE.

i looked back and saw you had the walbro in your first post. sorry. lol

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Well heres what I replaced.. TPS, Fuel Pump, cam seals, front and rear main seals, valve cover gaskets with FIPG, mkiv waterpump, timing belt, new serpentines, and new plugs.

the neccessary things out of that list are those that are in bold (timing belt isnt included because its not always needed, good idea though)