I know there are many "#" threads but..

MT Photography

Local Photog.
May 5, 2008
Wilmington, NC
I am about to be the new owner of a 1JZ Single Turbo 240SX.

GT35R (.63AR), SAFCII, Stock 370's, R154 (Yay no W58.), LSD with a 4.3 FD, and a Walbro 255 (Of course.)

What I'm wondering is, I've seen some pretty good numbers with pretty similiar setups, but I'm wondering what I could be expecting. Both 1/4 and Dyno numbers. (I'm a pretty decent driver, if that makes any difference.) GT35R is on 15lbs.

It's in a 240SX, so weight difference is a huge factor as when compared to MKIII's and such. (~2600 as opposed to 3200+)

Edit: Forgot Coilovers and Street/Strip Clutch.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
i cant speak too much for the 1/4 numbers, but you are still on the 370's with a gt35r pushing 15psi?? your probably near the end of what those can provide for fuel...

haha 3200lbs, thats an anorexic supra, mine weighs 3600 with no driver and 1/4 tank of gas...and thats it

if i were to guess i would say between 330 and 360 rwhp.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
i believe so, if his safc is properly tuned, a gt35r should be around those numbers... but i would guess that he is at the end of what those 370's can do.
i would actually surprised if it doesn't lean out in higher rpm's

but maybe someone else will chime in and voice a more experienced opinion

Last edited:

MT Photography

Local Photog.
May 5, 2008
Wilmington, NC
mischief7m;1081593 said:
i believe so, if his safc is properly tuned, a gt35r should be around those numbers... but i would guess that he is at the end of what those 370's can do.
i would actually surprised if it doesn't lean out in higher rpm's

but maybe someone else will chime in and voice a more experienced opinion

It was tuned on a SAFC-II by a very good tuner, I'm not exactly sure what the AFR's are as of yet, and I won't until I pick it up, but I imagine the 370's are at pretty much maximum injector cycle duty. BUt yes, it's fully boosting on 15lbs, and apparently it's not going lean or hitting fuel-cut or anything.

Just wondering about what kind of 1/4 times I can be expecting. I know it's really dependant on driver, but I've seen 13.5's being cut on this same setup in a supra. This obviously weighs ~800lbs less than a supra, I'm sure that'll make a bit of a difference.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^ My Supra weighed in at 3,328lbs. :)

Well...

To be completely honest. If you can hook up and launch hard at the tree,
(DR's or slicks)...
You could possibly even dip into the 11's assuming all other scenarios aside.
(Tires, humidity, elevation, heatsoak, etc).

To compare similar setups...
A friend of mine has an RB25 (Same size in litres) in an s13 hatch, SMALL single (T28) at 1.0 Bar and had MT Slicks outback...Pulled a 12.4 on his first and only run.
I don't recall his trap speed...but I know he managed to get a 1.6 60', and as we all know,
coming out of the hole is a big factor.

On stock 370's, TUNED, I'll bet you're making every bit of 320-340rwhp.

Jeff

MT Photography

Local Photog.
May 5, 2008
Wilmington, NC
rtrdpenguin;1082044 said:
I wish my Supra weighed 3200 =(

I have no real helpful info, but had to say hi! I've seen you on importsnc and while I almost never post, I visit it once in a while.

Ha, it's okay, I'm actually pretty happy about what I'm hearing.
I'm quite the postwhore on INC, hah.

I have some MT's I can borrow.. Pretty stoked about having a car capable of Low-Mid 12's. It's still the weaksauce around here, but plenty capable of catching some domestics off guard.

=]

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Well then add some pepper to that weaksauce....:biglaugh:

(Bigger injectors + more boost) and you just may not be so weak anymore. ;)

Jeff

MT Photography

Local Photog.
May 5, 2008
Wilmington, NC
From what I hear, the 440's(?) from the MKIV drop right in, and that should be good for at least 20lbs, but I'm wondering about the integrity of the motor then..

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
MT Photography;1082153 said:
From what I hear, the 440's(?) from the MKIV drop right in, and that should be good for at least 20lbs, but I'm wondering about the integrity of the motor then..

LOL. I'm not sure what car scene you were previously in...

But welcome to the Supra motor world.

Where 400rwhp only seems to be considered BPU now. ;)

That's cake walk for a 1JZ.

Jeff

MT Photography

Local Photog.
May 5, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Boost Lee;1082195 said:
LOL. I'm not sure what car scene you were previously in...

But welcome to the Supra motor world.

Where 400rwhp only seems to be considered BPU now. ;)

That's cake walk for a 1JZ.

Jeff

Like in all seriousness?..

Hmm, I've heard some things about people melting rods, but I assume that's only people running on shitty tunes or whatnot.... Am I correct in thinking these cars came with metal HG's?....

In fact, does anyone have a quick reference list (Not Wiki, or FAQ) about a 1JZ?..something preferably user created. I'd be pretty surprised if I could run 20lbs on a Single GT35R without any internal mods or anything but some injectors and a tune..

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
MT Photography;1082322 said:

Hmm, I've heard some things about people melting rods, but I assume that's only people running on shitty tunes or whatnot.... Am I correct in thinking these cars came with metal HG's?....

In fact, does anyone have a quick reference list (Not Wiki, or FAQ) about a 1JZ?..something preferably user created. I'd be pretty surprised if I could run 20lbs on a Single GT35R without any internal mods or anything but some injectors and a tune..

Am I hearing signs of disbelief? .... ;)

Yes. This is in all seriousness. You'd be surprised what a well designed straight six can do for you from Toyoda.

Instead of me trying to convince you, just watch this video.
(It's a fellow Supra owner from here on the boards car).

All stock internals (except for cams). 700+rwhp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9FC4_7twJo

And to add to that, another guy on the boards is making 753rwhp on ALL stock internals
(Just big turbo, lots of fuel and a good tune) .... 7M-GTE.

Don't even get me started with a 2JZ. ;)

Again, a lot of boost, a lot of fuel and spending some time making a good tune will take you a LONG way.

Have faith in your tune...and you can have faith in your internals. :icon_razz
IIRC, There's a couple guys that are DEEP into the 800rw if not close to 900rw range with internally stock 1JZ's.

Jeff

MT Photography;1082322 said:

:yelrotflm:yelrotflm:yelrotflm:yelrotflm Melting rods!

You're not in the world of hondas and the occasional 240SX anymore =) Though if I remember correctly you had an SC400 for a while?

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29117
^This is good for finding parts that fit the 1JZ since it's a rare engine never offered in the US. I haven't come across a performance-oriented reference list myself, but from what I gather a lot of 2JZ stuff fits the 1JZ and there are a good number of parts available here considering it wasn't a USDM engine.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
I agree with the more fuel and boost. Get your injectors redone it's only like 200 bucks. Or use some big sr20 injectors.

I wouldn't even sweat running 20+psi on a jz. I might run 28psi this week just for fun.

Seriously. Do it.

Then put stock suspension in rear or maybe tein lowering spring. Get traction, and run 11's/

MT Photography

Local Photog.
May 5, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Wow, needless to say I'm very pleasantly surprised. I knew the 2JZ's were basically internally bulletproof, but I wasn't so sure about the 1JZ.

This is all incredibly good news to hear..
I also love the fact that people are willing to lend information easily on this forum, it sure does help.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
MT Photography;1082697 said:
Wow, needless to say I'm very pleasantly surprised. I knew the 2JZ's were basically internally bulletproof, but I wasn't so sure about the 1JZ.

This is all incredibly good news to hear..
I also love the fact that people are willing to lend information easily on this forum, it sure does help.

we don't own SR's or KA's, therefore we don't have such terrible lives.. in turn giving you good answers and a friendly welcome :biglaugh:

MT Photography

Local Photog.
May 5, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Dylan JZ;1082724 said:
we don't own SR's or KA's, therefore we don't have such terrible lives.. in turn giving you good answers and a friendly welcome :biglaugh:

The KA's blow up all the time, and most of the SR's are pretty stout, but it seems nothing beats the internal reliability of a Toyota straight six..