I have no idea how this will end....

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
OK... Here's the background....

A short time ago, this car was driven through the wall of a lunch bar in the northern suburbs of Perth.

A mate of mine was called to extract it. The owner (the mother of the driver) elected to sign the keys over to the my mate rather than try to fix it.

Knowing I had a thing for Supra's, he called me and offered it to me at a really good price.

Of course I said yes, and the other night, it was delivered. It just so happens it was a full moon the next night, so perfect for some night photography... (There's a bit of extra lighting in most of these shots too)

20080619_IMG_9225.jpg

20080619_IMG_9227a.jpg

20080619_IMG_9261.jpg

20080619_IMG_9299.jpg

20080619_IMG_9300.jpg

And of course, I just had to climb on the bonnet for the last shot... Finally, a bonnet I don't care about denting! :)

Now, like the topic says, I don't know how this is going to end.... The vast majority of the damage is to removable panels and the rest would not be too hard to repair. However, if I do that, at the end of the day, I'll have a stock, auto, MA70 hardtop (turbo, but thats about all thats going for it)...

The way I'm leaning at the moment, is to strip the drivetrain and suspension out and put that toward a hot rod project I've been planning for a while, take some of the interior parts for my JZA70 (there are a few bits on it that are interchangable and in much better condition than mine), and strip the damaged bits off the shell and assess whats left as potentially the shell for a drag car or burnout car that I've also been thinking about building for a while...

Of course, to do all this would require a bit of time (that I can handle, as long as I can talk the real estate agent around when we have our rent inspections), a lot of money (which I don't have at the moment, but time is on my side) and a lot of space to work on 3 projects at once...

But, I'll see how I go and how much of this I can make happen.... :)

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
I've got a few more exterior and some under bonnet shots now.... All the shots are on my filckr stream (listed in my sig) at http://www.flickr.com/photos/highoctanephotos and also over at www.landbarge.com in the gallery section...

20080621_IMG_9301.jpg

Doesn't look too bad from behind....

20080621_IMG_9303.jpg

Trying to show the damage to the rear quarter and the c-pillar... I reckon one of those 'painless dent removal' type people would have this sorted in no time...

20080621_IMG_9305.jpg

The windscreen took a hard hit, but damage seems mostly confined to the glass...

20080621_IMG_9306.jpg

Mostly...

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
20080621_IMG_9312.jpg

Under the bonnet.... It could have looked a lot worse...

20080621_IMG_9314.jpg

This is the worst of it... Radiator support is bent back a fair bit...

20080621_IMG_9317.jpg

Radiator has been pushed back and is stopping the fan from turning...

if you replaced the windscreen and pulled the radiator support panel forward, you could actually drive the car around.... the alignment still seems pretty good, although all i did was drive it from the carport to the back yard...

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Looks like a fun project.

It's easy to see why the car tried to kill itself and it's driver / owner. Yuck. If I was that poor car, I'd have done the same!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
roof damage - helllll no would i invest money into that.

i like the idea of the hot rod, engine looks good and intact. haha
and then part the rest out, im sure you can make back some money.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
hehe... i figure, i would pay good money for a spare 3.73 rear and subframe... i have a spare subframe and open 4.1 rear already, so thats near enough to a win...

my cargo blind is rooted, this one is perfect, so thats a win... the switch gear on this electric seat is intact, mine isn't...

if i _don't_ use those parts on the rod, and instead put them in my car, i've made my money back...

if i end up with the space to store the shell until i have the funds to fix the dents, space frame the front end and 4-link the rear, then i'm even further ahead.... there's a heap of potential in this car provided i can make use of it...

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
my word on first pic was OH SHIT... umm I've seen some wonderful mk3s come back from the grave but ouch.

however it works out it should be fun to see.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I've seen worse wrecks come back from the dead but to put that much money and effort into a mk3 is rediculous. Looks like nothing more than an organ donor to me.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
theWeezL;1058022 said:
I've seen worse wrecks come back from the dead but to put that much money and effort into a mk3 is rediculous. Looks like nothing more than an organ donor to me.

Supras are on the rare side in Australia. :nono:

But this one is bad. :(

Last edited:

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
I'm in Australia though.... they're rare, but not that rare... :)

I'll probably try to fix the chassis up, but only to see if I can learn a few things along the way... The intention is to use the engine, box, suspension, steering etc elsewhere...

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
Well, I've done a bit of shopping and the first project is starting to take shape...

2008062_IMG_9405.jpg

On Sunday, I went to a local auto parts swapmeet hosted by the Vintage Car Club of WA.... One of my mates was there selling a couple of chassis', I picked up one of them for a fairly good price... Apparently it's a 27 Chev and he'll be doing most of the welding on it over the next few months....

Rested it on a spare rear subframe to see how it lined up, and it's looking promising...

2008062_IMG_9404.jpg

The subframe kinda matches the kick up at the rear of the chassis... I'll try to make it sit a bit closer to how I want it so that I have a better idea of what will be required to make it fit... We may end up narrowing it a little at the rear as it rises to follow the shape of the subframe a little, giving the upper arms a bit more clearance (depends on how much clearance there is once it's mocked up a bit better though - at the moment, my preference is to avoid narrowing it at all if possible)

2008062_IMG_9399.jpg

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
As I've said all along, I have NFI how all this will turn out... And today it took another turn...

After a mate found a couple of 30's Chev's in Beverley, he decided he didn't have enough room for another project, and passed the contact details on to me....

We believe they're a 38 3 tonne truck and a 37 3/4 tonne pickup.

20080803_IMG_1293.jpg

Today, I hitched a ride with Canada from FAR Tilt Tray Services while a couple of my mates tagged along with a car trailer.

20080803_IMG_1248.jpg

When we got out to Beverley, we put the 38 on the flat bed. We initially thought it had no front end at all, but after looking a bit more closely, it turns out it's just missing the front stub axles and wheels.

20080803_IMG_1249.jpg

We grabbed this front end in case we needed to slide it under the 38 to move it around later.

20080803_IMG_1260.jpg

Loaded up the chassis from the 37 which was in the paddock near the 38.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
20080803_IMG_1270.jpg

We then headed down to the shed to collect the rest of the 37.

20080803_IMG_1271.jpg

Lifted the body back onto the 37 chassis and then bolted and strapped it down for the ride home.

20080803_IMG_1328.jpg

One final shot from the Gull servo on Brookton Highway on the way home.