I hate my shift knob...... Help Please :)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Hey guys, I just recently did a 5 speed conversion on my sup but I hate my shift knob.... Every other light I find myself tightening those little weak bolts. I would really love one that actually screws on the shifter and is not those crappy universal ones..... Problem I have not a clue on where to look and what sizes to look for. I did go to toyota and they showed me some nice TRD ones but they didnt fit my car..... If anyone can point towards the right direction I would appriciate it alot. Also what do you guys have? Would a TRD be out of question? INPUT is GOOD..... Thanks :)...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
You can get a TRD knob that fits our cars, but it looks like you may have to special order it now.
Here are some links with more info.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?664668-trd-shift-knob-for-r154
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?637130-TRD-shift-knob

Here it is on my car.
p1912728_1.jpg

p1912728_2.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I'm going to have to buy another one of those. My new 1990 came with a universal shift knob, and I hate it, too. (For the time being, I've robbed the TRD knob from my '89, which is parked.)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Dan_Gyoba;1912758 said:
I'm going to have to buy another one of those. My new 1990 came with a universal shift knob, and I hate it, too. (For the time being, I've robbed the TRD knob from my '89, which is parked.)

Yeah, I really like the TRD knob. The only problem I had with it was in the summer the little TRD stickers would slide around, but I fixed it by replacing the cheap double sided tape that was on there with some contact cement. Now they stay put. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
TRD knob

/thread

To be nice, there is a company that makes adapters for the Miata so you can use universal knobs and not have issues with them coming loose (yes they actually work). One could make something just like it for our cars...

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Silver MK3;1912785 said:
Yeah, I really like the TRD knob. The only problem I had with it was in the summer the little TRD stickers would slide around, but I fixed it by replacing the cheap double sided tape that was on there with some contact cement. Now they stay put. :)

Maybe you got a fake one? Mine didn't do that but I'm only in ohio so it doesn't get insanely hot.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
OfnaRcR4;1912805 said:
Maybe you got a fake one? Mine didn't do that but I'm only in ohio so it doesn't get insanely hot.

Its definitely a real one, it just happens when its probably somewhere around 150 degrees inside of the car when it is parked in the sun...

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Whoa thanks alot for the input guys.... Looks like TRD it is.... Its what I wanted in the first place but since the ones at toyota were to thin for the thread.... I'm gonna go back and try to order the right one. I was just curious since amazon showed them but once again I dont know if those would fit my car. I dont want anything fancy, the trd one looks perfect :D.... Sigh, I can only imagine driving for longer than a few blocks without my shift knob spinning and me wishing for a red light so I can tighten it up. This weekend Ima be at toyota ordering some goodies.... Maybe a TRD oil cap as well while I'm at it. Problem is when you start buying TRD stuff its kinda hard to stop :(......

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
hm... I'd prefer a rubber/leather knob... shoot OE one is perfectly fine by me, but my car came with a metal TRD knob... it's just annoying when it's cold as shit outside, you know... solid metal tends to be pretty cold.... yeah

155136481_black-type-r-style-mt-manual-transmission-gear-shift-.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Yeah, my TRD stickers on the knob shift around in the warm. Doesn't have to be that warm, either. Still is a nice piece. I'd probably be fine with a stock one though. I have one that I re-did the leather on, but I can't find it now.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I'm happy with my B&M carbon-fiber-look knob. I bought it for looks and the claim that it would fit the threads. Turned out it was a "universal" fit, which means the hole is some huge diameter like 3/4" and it came with stupid and worthless plastic inserts. So, I went to the hardware store and bought a short piece of rubber garden hose with a little bigger OD than the ID of the knob, and with a little smaller ID than the OD of the thread. After some effort cramming the piece of hose into the knob, it now threads on nicely. It's tight enough to not turn when I don't want it to, but with enough hand effort, it unscrews.
IIRC, the stock knob has plastic threads that work much the same way.
Maybe this idea will work with your knob, Sside. Instead of relying on the little screws to keep it from spinning, find the right size rubber hose to cram in there, creating a resistance threaded fit. Think of it like a nylon-insert lock nut. If it's too tight for any hose, a few turns of that self-sealing silicone tape would work.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
89jdm7m;1912911 said:
hm... I'd prefer a rubber/leather knob... shoot OE one is perfectly fine by me, but my car came with a metal TRD knob... it's just annoying when it's cold as shit outside, you know... solid metal tends to be pretty cold.... yeah

155136481_black-type-r-style-mt-manual-transmission-gear-shift-.jpg

OEM is wrapped, so it's not really plastic.

Dan_Gyoba;1912934 said:
Yeah, my TRD stickers on the knob shift around in the warm. Doesn't have to be that warm, either. Still is a nice piece. I'd probably be fine with a stock one though. I have one that I re-did the leather on, but I can't find it now.

I liked the OEM knob too, but the cost of the TRD knob was far less than a new OEM knob. Plus, the TRD knob is weighted and makes shifting easier.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1913059 said:
Plus, the TRD knob is weighted and makes shifting easier.
Rather a fan of the Greddy knob that came with my car. Wanna talk weighted? I dropped mine once, there were reports of minor earthquakes...

...not really, but it did chip out a nice chunk of concrete from the sidewalk. :p

Only problem, it's pretty much solid steel (other than the hole in the bottom to put on the shifter), so it tends to get rather cold, and occasionally kinda warm depending on the weather.