I guess I get one of these now....?

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
Well, most of you know the story behind my car. Brother took off in it while I was sleeping, broke the car. Thought it was the bearings that went out as there was a bit of metal looking things in the radiator, But upon further inspection it turns out it was small fragments of rust, most likely from the thermostat. I pulled things apart and indeed there was a little bit of rust in the thermostat, so i am not worried about that anymore. My girlfriend's Grandfather was a mechanic in the military, worked on helicopters for 30 years or something ridiculous like that. Knows his way around a turbocharger, which is refreshing.

At any rate, he gave it a listen and let it run for a few moments, and per his opinion, he thinks only a single rod went out. I drained the oil and grabbed a magnet. I went fishing in the oil and the drained coolant, and found almost nothing. The very few pieces of rust I DID find, were so tiny and broke apart when I thought too hard about it. So, maybe it is ignorance kicking in again, but I am not too worried about whatever that was. There was almost none of it.

I started pulling things apart, and had my youngest brother helping.(NOT the one that broke the car) He is in autoshop in highschool, and I figured his guess was better than mine on things lol. Anyway....on to the pictures I suppose.

p1663452_1.jpg

Starting

p1663452_2.jpg

this picture I took at a slight distance, as I wanted to have the line in question put into context. it is the copper tipped line down in there...

p1663452_3.jpg

it's underneath the intake manifold. It wasn't connected to anything, so I took a picture to put up here and see if it was supposed to be hooked up for anything important, or if it was just for the a/c or something.

p1663452_4.jpg

CAN'T believe I am asking this...but...wtf is this? it says to use only atf fluid....doesnt atf mean automatic transmission fluid? I have a 5 spd.... CONFUSINGGGGG

p1663452_5.jpg

Now here we have the first possible huge issue. My youngest brother Luke(he is the kid in some of the pictures.) went to pulling the wiring harness away from things to get ready to pull the motor, and he said part of it felt like it snapped. Sure enough, it did. It is a yellow wire with a black stripe down the side of it. What does that wire go to? When I was investigating, it looked like it went down to somewhere hot, as the plastic around it was partially melted...

p1663452_6.jpg

tried to get a better picture of the wire in question

p1663452_7.jpg

and another picture of the wire....

p1663452_8.jpg

and another.

p1663452_9.jpg

motorrrrrrr

p1663452_10.jpg

other side of motorrrrrr

p1663452_11.jpg

helpful 16 year old brotherrrrr

p1663452_12.jpg

p1663452_13.jpg

last two are how the motor sits until this weekend when I can get away from school and back into the boonies.

I am going to be purchasing JE pistons and some brian crower rods....found some bearings on ebay...don't know about that...but we'll see. they are 80 bucks for the set of bearings. going to keep the turbo, its a 57 trim ct, going to keep the i/c....not sure the brand of it, but it is freaking huge. Just need to pull motor apart, put back together, put back in, start vrooming again.

This is the start of my "hate to love this fookin car thread"

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'd be getting another brother, but that's little to do with the problem at hand here.

-The little metal bits you find are likely rust caused by people not using distilled water in their coolant mixture. Iron (which makes up most of your engine bay's contents) is very prone to rust when exposed to tap water. USE DISTILLED ONLY. ;)

-The little metal container you're asking about is your power steering reservoir.

-If you don't have a GOOD, SOLID, RELIABLE daily, you need to shelf this project before you get yourself in a bad situation. Having a Mk3 Supra as your only means of transportation is, for lack of a better way of saying this, a very foolish prospect. Get something slow, boring, beige for getting around, and then focus on your Supra.

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
te72;1663474 said:
Get something slow, boring, beige for getting around, and then focus on your Supra.

Haha! Too true. My daily is a Volvo 940 wagon...slow, utility, reliable, and great for picking up parts :)

I must say I don't really know the story you're referring to, but "broke" is a rather ambigous term. If you first thought it was mechanical, but now think it might be electrical, than I'm thorougly confused. "Mechanical" break is usually obvious and quickly terminal. Electrical break is a temporary set back.

I little more details for those of us not "in the know" might be good.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
91blackeye;1660041 said:
Today, I left school and went to my mother's house for some bonding time with my younger brother. We had plans to do a good old fashioned oil change. Mobil one oil and filter. Great stuff right there.

I set my keyes on the countertop to go take a leak and he peels out in my car like a bat out of hell.

This obviously upsets me a great deal, but as my brother has no cell phone, there wasn't a lot I could do until he came back, and I could punch him in the face. Repeatedly.

Only when he comes back the motor had spuns some bearings.

I don't know what to do. I don't know how to work on these motors...I need help...and don't trust any of the shops around here...especially with the apexi neo and all the elctronic garbage.

I have some financial backing maybe 3500....I want to keep this one. I don't want to start again...I am tired of starting over in life...

Please...

let me know guys.

IJ.;1660161 said:
Beauty of telling the TRUTH is you don't need a good memory, lying on the other hand....

91blackeye;1663452 said:
Well, most of you know the story behind my car. Brother took off in it while I was sleeping, broke the car. Thought it was the bearings that went out as there was a bit of metal looking things in the radiator, But upon further inspection it turns out it was small fragments of rust, most likely from the thermostat. I pulled things apart and indeed there was a little bit of rust in the thermostat, so i am not worried about that anymore. My girlfriend's Grandfather was a mechanic in the military, worked on helicopters for 30 years or something ridiculous like that. Knows his way around a turbocharger, which is refreshing.

Cap__n_Bullshit_by_theartrix.jpg

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
<--- Daily driver 87 Turbo for over 6 years/100k. So far I've only had to bum rides 3 times. 2 for head gaskets (one when I got it done by Toyota and one 4 months ago done by me) and once for the radiator.

Definitely not the most reliable daily and there are times when I would seriously like a second car to allow me to tackle larger projects on the Supra without being rushed but it can be done.

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
Ah, well, spun bearings are spun bearings. If you want to quickly get it back together, acquire another crank with known good journals (because yours are probably trashed now), get a new set of both rod and crank bearings, drop the front crossmember with the engine still in the car, and do the job from below. You could probably have the whole job done in a day (long. long. day.). The problem with spun bearings however is that unless you know that it was just a freak accident and that oil pressure everwhere else was good, you're probably looking at more problems than just bearings. If the car was starved for oil, you might also have some burned cams, burned valve guides, burned journal bearings in the turbo, and possibly some metal in your oil galleys from the disintigration of the known bad parts. I know you don't want to "start over", but frankly, everything in your engine is now suspect. If you want to get back on the road in short order, I'd use your $3500 to locate a good used engine, and just swap it out over a weekend. I'll bet you could get away with it for under $2k if you shop around. Use the other $1500 for upgrades or to hire a hit man for your brother.

(just kidding on the last part)

Good luck.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Do you need any engine parts? I will be in Modesto this weekend at my bro's place. I have some extra 7mgte parts like manifolds, intake/exhaust/water pump which is pretty new, etc etc.
I will be near Briggsmore/Carpenter if that is anywhere around you. maybe can give you some pointers on those wires and stuff if you are up to it.
Moe

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
suprastanger507mgte;1663675 said:
Do you need any engine parts? I will be in Modesto this weekend at my bro's place. I have some extra 7mgte parts like manifolds, intake/exhaust/water pump which is pretty new, etc etc.
I will be near Briggsmore/Carpenter if that is anywhere around you. maybe can give you some pointers on those wires and stuff if you are up to it.
Moe

He should as far as I know be fine for engine parts or any parts of any kind for that matter since he has two more MKIII's as well as this one. One of them is even all tricked out with performance parts a bigger turbo, Apexi etc. I'm wondering why he's not working on that one personally.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
he has 3 supras? and one that is running good...yet doesnt know what the PSR is? or that that is the main fuel line. not the return line. I think i saw an AFPR which is why nothing is going to that now

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Correction ^ That is the return line, the J tube, Not the feed.. The feed is the line that the pulsation dampener goes onto, return is the fuel pressure regulator towards the front of the motor.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
You some kind John Rainbow. This thread rock hard!

More power to you! I have no supras if i did i would hire your bro to fix he seem like nice guy!

You have 3 supra i have none i buy now!

Haters gonna hate you gonna have best build in molesto!

SORRY ENGLISH MY SECOND LANGUAGE!

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
Blackdawg;1664146 said:
he has 3 supras? and one that is running good...yet doesnt know what the PSR is? or that that is the main fuel line. not the return line. I think i saw an AFPR which is why nothing is going to that now
HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY 7M KNOWLEDGE ;) jk bro Ive seen lots of people confuse the two lines (feed, and return)
Devin LeBlanc;1664153 said:
Correction ^ That is the return line, the J tube, Not the feed.. The feed is the line that the pulsation dampener goes onto, return is the fuel pressure regulator towards the front of the motor.
and thank you Devin for seconding my knowledge