I can't drive it another day like this - time for paint, she's ready !

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
agree with repainting the original color, if that 202 thats would be my choice. I prefer a single stage paint as well.

7Mk3_91

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose
Hey Chris, this is mk34o8 from SupraForums.. looks like everything is going well so far. Are you painting it yourself? Just don't let the same guy, who painted my car, paint your car!!!!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
lmao I can't believe you drove it around like that! I couldn't do that... hahaha
+1 for braveness!

If your car was 206, repaint it 206 if you can! I love the color, personally. I can remember seeing my car the first few months I had it, sitting at a gas pump while I was paying, and looking out at it only to see a dark ruby supra sitting where my black one was ;)

I'd go with the stock color, but I love that color a lot. If I weren't painting my entire chassis, I'd go with 206 again.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
wow. you are brave.

why so many spots of filler? if that is filler... little dents?

hope all goes well...good luck with the paint and get some good pics!

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
7Mk3_91 said:
Hey Chris, this is mk34o8 from SupraForums.. looks like everything is going well so far. Are you painting it yourself? Just don't let the same guy, who painted my car, paint your car!!!!
Don't worry, I'm not letting that guy do it. I can't afford having my car down for three months. I was originally going to do it myself but I decided that having someone else do it was going to be cheaper. I am doing all the prep work to save some $$$ though.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Figit090 said:
wow. you are brave.

why so many spots of filler? if that is filler... little dents?

hope all goes well...good luck with the paint and get some good pics!
A whole bunch of little dings down the sides for some reason, I don't know, that's how it came.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
HellsLegion said:
Is it that place you said that had the deal going on?

Which "stage" did you get?
I didn't want to say it yet because you will all flame me, but it's going to Maaco. They have a half price special for right now. I cut a deal with the guys there as long as I do all the body work and prep they are giving me their best paint for cheap !!! It is going to be a single stage acrylic urethane with some extras. I've seen their work and it looks pretty good from what I can tell. The hardcores on here will have a field day but I'm not too concerned.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
There is nothing wrong with most macco paint jobs except one thing...prep!
They spend next to no time prepping the car properly for paint. Since your doing this all yourself and your basically just having someone with a booth shoot it, I would bet it comes out real nice!

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
theWeezL said:
There is nothing wrong with most macco paint jobs except one thing...prep!
They spend next to no time prepping the car properly for paint. Since your doing this all yourself and your basically just having someone with a booth shoot it, I would bet it comes out real nice!
Exactly, basically that's it. I am doing everything, the only thing they are doing as far as prep is to make sure that the paint will stick. They are going over everything with a higher grade paper and if my repairs aren't perfect they are going to do them right. But I am a perfectionist and a cheapskate so I am doing them all myself. I was planning on painting it myself but just the cost of the paint was going to be over $400 plus the cost of a enclosed canopy ($200), the cost of the spray guns $150 (which I already bought) and another $100 for laquer thinner, sandpaper, etc... And the environmental concerns of my politically incorrect pussy ass neighbors was another wrench in the gears. I figured, let Maaco shoot it. They have a five year warranty (whatever that means), so I'm not too concerned. In fact, how bad can it be???

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
HellsLegion said:
Hey itll look good for a few years. Just bring it back in then!

Cant wait to see it finished Chris.... W should have the BBQ when its all done. Christen it alive once more
Who is Christen??? I thought your car was named something weird like Zelda. Btw, Kyle you are a post whore !!!

jk

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I think you should spray the thing in your driveway as a way of flipping off your pussy ass enviro neighbors. Leave beer cans laying around the canopy you leave up for 3 extra months, "accidently" spill some laquer thinner on the ground and set it on fire by dropping a cigarette butt on it, and make sure you overspray nearby trees. Give them something to bitch about. When it's all said and done, they might be suprised that they survived it. Sounds like fun!

I just started another paint thread this morning, and I was hoping somebody like you could comment on whether it's worth the money saved to prep yourself, or if it's an assload of work that's hard to get right and worth $1,000 to never have to mess with in the first place.

7Mk3_91

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose
chriso said:
Don't worry, I'm not letting that guy do it. I can't afford having my car down for three months. I was originally going to do it myself but I decided that having someone else do it was going to be cheaper. I am doing all the prep work to save some $$$ though.

Glad to hear you're not letting him touch your car!! My paint is already falling apart and it's still an ongoing ordeal with him :icon_evil ... anyway, best of luck with everything. I hope all turns out well! -Fei

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Car is currently in the shop for the makeover, I should have it back mid next week they said. ::w00t::

I dropped it off at 6:00 this morning and when I came home from work and didn't see her in the driveway, it was almost as when the dog doesn't meet you at the door.
I miss her already.:cry:

Maybe I'll go see her tomorrow for a little while.