Hybrid Turbo Swap Questions

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Please forgive my potentially newbish question here, but I'm seeking some good, logical advice...

A bit of background:

A friend of mine is giving me a H3 Trim CT-26 Hybrid Turbo (similar to 57 Trim)... I'm having it sent back to TEC to be reconditioned, so when I get hold of it it'll be ready to go... My car as of now is pretty much stock... I've taken care of engine integrity (all new belts, seals, hoses, HKS Metal Head Gasket, ARP Studs, etc...) and it runs flawlessly (I wouldn't even ask this question otherwise)... All I have "upgrade" wise is an A'PEXi Power Intake...

Now for the questions:

What would happen if I simply swap turbos from my stock CT-26 to this Hybrid without any further action?

I assume I'd have to worry about boost spike, and potentially fuel cut without a boost controller, is this correct?

Would it be bad to run an upgraded hybrid turbo without any exhaust upgrades (any extra strain on it, etc...)?

Taking into consideration those above questions, what is the minimum I'd need to get the turbos swapped without any problems?

Now for some reassurence:

I'm not stupid, and I plan to do things right... My initial plan was to start with a full turbo-back exhaust (3" downpipe w/ turbo elbow, high flow cat and 3" cat-back, I already know which products I'm going for) and go from there, however this thing is kinda "falling in my lap" if you will, so I'm just wondering if I can put it to use in the meantime, and what I'll need to do so. I'm trying to save my money at the momement due to being in the market for a house, so it may be a little while before I upgrade anything else... So if it turns out that the turbo is probably better off filling space in my closet 'till I can do the other upgrades, so be it.

I apologize for the long winded post. Thanks in advance for your help.

-James

Josh Sulsberger

Down for whatever
Apr 9, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
If it's just an upgraded CT, you should still be running the stock wastegate actuator. It will still open at the same time as the stock setup, which is something between 5-8 psi (6.8 maybe?). The flow at this level may be a little different, and the lag may be a little different, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic change.
I'd wait...Swapping out turbos isn't much fun.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Put the upgraded CT in a wal-mart bag or something (keep the dust out) and store it till you have the money for some more supporting mods, it will be much more worth the investment to wait.

-Chris